Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Overwashed Hair

I've overwashed my hair for years thinking shampoo and conditioner everyday was healthy. I've tried going a few months to a year or to only washing it once or twice a week or so. No matter how frequently I wash it my hair is severely greasy 12-24 hours after. Any ideas what I should do or what might help?

Re: Overwashed Hair

@MeleaMarie,

I had the same struggle:( My roots were oily and ends were really dry from all of the washing. I just started using the IGK Low Key Cleansing Walnut Scalp Scrub and I noticed that I can go a bit longer without washing. The scrub gently exfoliates my scalp and also helps remove any extra product that is still lingering after shampooing.

https://www.sephora.com/product/low-key-cleansing-walnut-scalp-scrub-P421942?skuId=1892710&icid2=pro...

❤️ Melissa

Im totally going to give this a try. Thank you.

I have this problem, too, until I realized how frequently I run my hands through my hair! I kept on transferring the oil from my hands onto my head, which made the problem worse. 

I wash my hair every other day. On the non-wash days I still “cleanse” with just conditioner. Some times I use a specially designated cleansing conditioner and other times just whichever conditioner I have sitting around. I have a similar problem with my hair getting greasy without daily washing and this has worked really well for me. Dry shampoo never helped me. 

RE: Overwashed Hair

I tried the no ‘poo thing for a good six months only using a little Apple cider vinegar every few days, but my hair was so gross that I had to leave it in a ponytail the entire time. I kept hoping the grease would go away, but at six months when I tried to get a hair cut, the stylist thought I had gone nuts and that made me realize that my hair needs shampoo and conditioner at least every other day no matter what the current trends may say. It sounds like you’re in the same boat.

What is your hair type and what shampoo and conditioner are you using?  

My first thought is to use a lighter conditioner and only from the nape of the neck (not on the scalp) down on your hair.

Then of course, a good spray of dry shampoo at your roots on 2nd day hair.

If you have a very oily scalp you may not be able to go more infrequently than every other day even if you switch up products.  I have a normal scalp and can only go 3 days before my hair starts to look gross.

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing