Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex and Major hair loss!!

Has anyone out there been experience sudden hair loss (or just noticed) from using any olaplex products? Specifically, Olaplex #3?  My hair was gorgeous 6-8 months ago, but after using olaplex shampoo & conditioner and olaplex #3 for a few months, my hair began falling about in groves! I stopped using it many months ago, but my hair is still falling out. I contacted the company, and of course they say their product is not linked to hair loss -- of course they sl say that. Not one other product has ever caused my hair to fall out like olaplex and no other health  conditions nor products can be attributed to my major hair loss. What in the world is in these products?? Can somebody please help or share their experience. Have Mercy! Make it stop! Olaplex, I am so mad at you! I wish somebody could get to the bottom of this! I urge you to be careful with these products. I know they've been hyped, but I know this is not just me and I hope to get to the bottom of this or at least find something to grow my hair back. It has been a nightmare!!

Re: Olaplex and Major hair loss!!

OMG, I've been trying to work out why I've had the equivalent of post partum hair loss without being postpartum! I've been using no.0 and no.3 for roughly 4 months, and then most recently no. 8 for two weeks. Over a two week period, I lost about 25% of my hair, from the front and sides. Am literally at a loss what to do! Obviously ice stopped using Olaplex...

Same, I was losing handfuls each shower when ONLY using shampoo/conditioner for 3-4 months.  I stopped & am losing strands in the singles after a deep hair masque! (I always brush before I shampoo, way less lost then too!) Olaplex is literally the only thing I changed/was using when it was happening.

A lot of us in the forum have moved to a Facebook group called Olaplex hair loss. We have around 300 members. Feel free to join as we all try to figure out how to remedy this.

I have been waiting for such a Facebook group. But i cant find it in FB? 

The name has been changed to “Olaplex and hair loss?” - try that.

I used Olaplex purple shampoo and experienced clumps of my hair just falling out

this happened to me too from one use of the purple shampoo. did you continue to lose hair after you stopped using it?

Not really have any experience of such things ...

I also have experienced hair loss from Olaplex 3!  Several months ago, I had my hair colored as normal and used Olaplex on it the following week to deep condition it.  When I rinsed the Olaplex, I remember thinking my hair felt strange like it was thick in certain areas and rough.  After, it looked soft and beautiful...however, a few weeks later, I found a perfectly round quarter-sized bald spot near the left crown of my head.  ARGH!  I thought it was alopecia areata but wondered if the color treatment and Olaplex combination had something to do with it.  It's been several months and the patch is finally growing back.  Alas, last week I noticed yet another small bald patch near the front of my hairline. As others have stated, the protein in Olaplex may not work with everyone's hair due to multiple external factors (color treatment, other protein hair products, vitamins we take, chemicals we are exposed to, diet, hormones, etc.)  I have spent the last 5 years growing my hair back after being bald from chemotherapy.  Now I have bald patches again.  Yay  😕 

Hey! I am going through this right now too. A couple of women and myself have teamed up and we are trying to get everyone going through this in a Facebook group - search Olaplex Hair Loss on FB. We have about 5 members right now (the larger group is inactive). Feel free to join! 

Thank you!  I've requested to join the group : )

Is this group inactive? I cant fint it at FB?

They supposedly reformulated without butylphenyl methylpropional (lilial) which is an ingredient that is banned in European Union linked to infertility. Similar to BPA, phthalates, and parabens, lilial can act as an endocrine disruptor. Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that may mimic or interfere with the body's hormones - which is why Too much estrogen causes hair loss and thinning hair. OLAPLEX says they have removed lilial from it's product as of January 2022 - Check when you purchased it and throw it away if you see butylphenyl methylpropional as an ingredient on your bottle. ***PLEASE READ*** in United Stated FDA does not regulate what goes into ANY cosmetic/personal product list and ANY and ALL harmful ingredients can be hidden under the ingredient named FRAGRANCE/PARFUM. Only through an independent lab tests would any of us know what is actually in everyday products we are using if they are scented. This is the most frustrating, upsetting and devastating fact about products sold to us without clear laws for companies to abide by. At this point I used pretty much every product on recall list, everything with ingredients that were banned in EU in 1990 but not in USA and I lost half of my hair. Only about a month ago I had an aha moment from a random search in google about hair loss which popped up settlements and lawsuits, which ultimately took me through the rabbit hole of 'it's not what the product claims to do - it's what's in it we should avoid'. Olaplex is currently being sued in Canada: Application to Authorize: Olaplex and Sephora Class Action – March 3, 2022  

I just started using 0,3,4 and 5 about 2 months ago. This morning...blow drying my hair I see major loss where I part my hair! I googled Olaplex and hair loss and found your post. I definitely think it's the Olaplex because it is the only change I have made in my hair care and no changes in my vitamin supplements! 

So glad people are talking about this here. I also have had thick, healthy hair my whole life - no coloring, only occasional heat styling. I started using olaplex 3, 4, & 5 about 3 months ago (the only recent change to my hair routine). Yesterday I was hanging out with my sister and she noticed a bald patch on the top of my head, about the size of a quarter!! I’m throwing these products away. Has anyone had success with any methods/products to encourage regrowth?? 

Yes! I had the same issue with 4 & 5 (there’s a group on Facebook that I’m in). The Olaplex causes a protein overload which can lead to fungal infection on your scalp. If it’s felt itchy or burning, that’s why. I use ketoconozole shampoo, I take Viviscal daily (it’s oral Minoxidil) and I use Bondi Boost Intensive Spray for my scalp. I also use their Elixir hair oil. I haven’t had any bald spots, but I noticed my ponytail was much thinner from all the shedding. Make sure you don’t have a shellfish allergy before taking Viviscal (it has shark cartilage). And don’t take another vitamin that has iron while taking Viviscal. Good luck!! If you want to join our group, it’s called Olaplex and Hair Loss? We support each other & it’s really helpful ❤️

@jausbeebwk if you find out anything please let me know, I am in the same boat and can not keep my hair from falling out (at the root!!!).

Echoing this comment! Had super thick hair my whole life until I started using Olaplex and my hair has become so thin and broken. Desperately trying to regrow. 

Hey guys, feel free to join Olaplex Hair Loss group on FB. It’s the smaller group (the larger is inactive). We are trying to round up people who are going through this in a space that is easier to communicate! 

Now that I’m reading all of these comments I’m starting to believe it’s my shampoo And conditioner the 4 and 5. I’ve also used other products as well from this brand. I think I need to start using another brand and see how a different one works. Especially when I’m not using this brand. 

Hmm ! Yes of the people has the same problem of losing hair and thinning ..

testing