Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Deep Fried Hair

Hey everyone! I went to the salon to get balayage and the sweet, sweet girl who did it FRIED my hair. I am using deep conditioner and color-safe shampoo but it still feels and looks like straw. What is the best thing to do to get it healthy again but keep the color? Hot oil? A different treatment? Stick with deep conditioner? I'm at a loss!

Thanks, xoxo

Re: Deep Fried Hair

@Casey0043 hi there! i'm so sorry you're going through this!! did you get a cut/trim following the service?? fried hair is a horrifying thing that can be hard to reverse. i'm actually a licensed stylist in my state, so i'd love to give you my professional opinion 🙂

the first thing you can do, as others have said below, is to get a mask. i wouldn't advise you to buy anything at the drug store, as those can either be expired or have a fake label, so you're not getting the beat out of the product. i personally love the brand Unite, which is sold exclusively in salons and is definitely pricey, but if you're able to find a salon near you that carries their 7 seconds mask and can afford it, purchase that.  i personally have bleached hair that's in fantastic shape, but i swear by it for myself AND for clients like you who need help with damage. i also really love the brazilian bond builder mask which, again, is found in certain salons. 

if a mask just isn't doing it, the reality is you need to either get some kind of keratin treatment (or the brazilian bond builder demi permanent conditioner treatment, found in salons that carry the product), or cut a couple inches off. while i realize getting a cut is probably the last thing you want to do, you may have some luck with a smoothing treatment. again, very expensive, but i've had luck with this as well, as it helps reform the hair shaft and keratin treatments aid in replenishing the protein our hair is made out of (keratin, obviously). 

as for what @aydasu said about olaplex- while the number 3 treatment is a great mask, you should really only use it if you've had step one and two used in your color service. number 3 is an at home mask to continue building the bonds at home that were rebuilt with steps 1&2 when your stylist was lightening your hair. 

also- i personally wouldn't recommend olaplex. it's been proven their "bond builder" (steps 1&2) only woreos if you continuously use olaplex, as it's a fake bond. an alternative, as i mentioned the brand previously, would be brazilian bond builder. while they make shampoo, conditioner, masks, and salon treatments (which are FANTASTIC for bleached hair also), they have an additive, like olaplex, that's an additional product you'd pay for your stylist to add to your lightener to ensure your hairs integrity. b3 (brazilian bond builder) as opposed to olaplex, is actually good for your hair over time even if you haven't continued use of the product. 

sorry if this didnt make sense, i know i went on a tangent lol. i tried making sense of it i promise!! if you have questions feel free 🙂

Thank you so much! This is so so helpful! I actually purchased a Purology Hair Mask earlier today and just used it but if it doesn't work I will try those other options! Thanks again so so much @katgoulding!!!!! 

of course! good luck!!! @Casey0043

Hair masks!!! I make my own at home and I mix jojoba oil, castor oil, coconut oil, and almond oil and slightly heat it up. You massage it all of it into your hair. Keep doing that maybe every 2 weeks or every month. So many benefits for your hair. Also you could do a yogurt and egg mask. Try investing in a shampoo that has a lot of moisture as well. I hope this helped!

@Casey0043 There are a lot of dry hair posts on the board 😞  At least we are all in this together - here's what I do to fight dryness and frizz:

Spoiler
Shampoo: Use a moisturizing shampoo. Many BICers use sulfate-free. I haven't had success with those, so I use John Frieda Beyond Smooth with Pure Coconut Oil

Conditioner: I am in love with Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm. Other good ones are DevaCulr One Condition (popular with BICers), Phytojoba and Neutrogena Triple Moisture (the one in the tub - very affordable).

Serums: Silicone serums are very important in fighting frizz, in my opinion. My favorite is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. I also use it with Phytodefrisant to give my hair more slip when blow drying with a brush. It's important to just squeeze water out of your hair, then apply the serum - do not towel dry unless it is a microfiber towel.

If you flat iron, I really suggest a flat iron spray. It really helps keep away the frizz. I am currently obsessed with Paul Mitchell Hot Off the Press.

Hair oils: Hair oils can do a lot to make your hair more manageable, and less prone to frizz. My fave is Matrix Oil Wonders. Other good ones are Alterna Kendi Oil and Josie Maran Argan Oil. You can use them as a treatment, in with conditioner, as a styling aid, or on dry hair (I use it this way to help with frizz).

Anti-frizz spray: I recently discovered Living Proof Humidity Shield and it really helps! I use it every morning!

Hair masks: Also good for maintaining hair health - or at least the appearance of it! My favorites have been discontinued, so I don't have any recs for you.

Dry shampoo: I highly rec this, as it will allow you to wash/dry your hair less, which means les damage. I like Klorane and Alterna.

Best of luck!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

RE: Deep Fried Hair

I recommended you the Moroccan intense hydrating hair mask. It is designed to restore and condition even the most over-processed hair and caused by coloring. It works wonders!

Re: RE: Deep Fried Hair

Thank you!!!! 😊 

This just happened to me. Hair stylist fried my hair because he bleached it like 3 times 😞 Anyways, it was terrible, breaking, falling, disgusting looking. Last week, for the first time ever, I heard about Olaplex No 3 (at home treatment). I did it once and my hair is amazing! I will use this every week. My hair is so soft, and it reversed the damage, looks shiny and healthy. I cannot describe it. I love it. You wet your hair, put this on everywhere, brush it to homogeneously distribute it. Wait for 30-60 how ever much time you want, wash, rinse, condition. Voila 🙂 Ps. Buy it from the Olaplex website, I heard there are fake ones everywhere! ❤️

I see on their website that the full Olaplex treatment is a three step process- did you do all three or just the final (weekly) step?

The no 1 and 2 can only be bought by professional hair stylists so I could not buy them. I only did the no 3 and even alone that was amazing! ❤️

I will definitely try this! Thank you so much!!! 😊 

RE: Deep Fried Hair

Olaplex changes everything I am a hairs dresser for over 15 years and it is AMAZING

Re: RE: Deep Fried Hair

Do you recommend that I do the three step process at home or just Step Three for weekly use?

I've heard that Olaplex treatments are really great for coloured hair! Give it a shot or try and talk to a few stylists and see what would work best for you!

Thank you so much!!!

16 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 23 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing