Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Coconut oil

Hi guys! I heard from one of my coworkers that applying coconut oil for two hours and then rinsing it off is a good way to hydrate your hair and making it healthier.. is it true? Thank you xoxo❤️

Re: Coconut oil

Hi,

First of all, be careful when buying coconut oil because there are tons of oils that claim to be organic coconut oil and they're not.

You need to watch out for that and make sure it's unrefined, cold pressed, pure, has no chemicals and make sure it smells like coconut. You can be easily applying a coconut oil that is not pure and damages your hair.

For example; Don't use "Great Value Coconut Oil brand". 

A good true coconut oil you can use for your hair and many other beauty routines is "Natures Way Coconut Oil Extra Virgin".

Hope you find this useful 🙂

@daniangulo Just for your reference, I was at Target today, and I think this is the one Allure recommended:

Image result for ogx miracle oil

I used to use it overnight. I would comb my hair, then on...

I used to use it overnight. I would comb my hair, then only apply it to to half end of my hair. I would apply a little more than a bit. Not an excessive amount. Then I would shampoo and condition my hair in the morning. I would only do this the night before I knew I would wash my hair. It was great for my hair, it was nice and smooth afterwards. I only stopped using it because it's expensive to buy and I had so many other hair products I wanted to use them up before getting a new one. Word of advice. If you use coconut oil, don't align those days when your tub or shower are spotless clean. The oil will stick to everything and will make dirt stick to it too. You'll definitely need to clean the tub or shower with cleaner, which is highly what you don't want to do as soon as you just finished taking a shower or bath.

@daniangulo

My grandmother used to put coconut oil in our hair when we were young. 😊

I agree with the other posters that it may be a little heavy if you have thin or fine hairs, but no other oils work in my (thickish and a little coarse) hair nearly as well as coconut.

RE: Coconut oil

I use raw virgin coconut oil as does my mom even overnight. Results are beautiful soft hair with one shampoo. Never more than one. I have the Kompari to try. I have previously used these 2. Very happy!

@daniangulo I just read an article in Allure that rec's OGX Coconut Oil as opposed to the "raw" stuff.  It said that raw stuff can lead to overshampooing.  I bought Kopari's Coconut Melt recently and have yet to use it - now I'm scared!  

Nourishing Coconut Oil Weightless Hydrating Oil Mist

@greeneyedgirl107don't be scared, I would give it a try. I'm sure it's different than the raw oil. Who knows, you could end up loving it. I totally agree that raw oil could end up over shampooing, as I was a grease ball.

@candyrivera Thanks for the encouragement!  Sometimes I need a little "push."

Well, I can only speak for myself, but when I did that years ago, I HAD to wash my hair twice. It made my hair very greasy. I also think it clogged some of my pores/ follicles on my scalp. I don't have very thick or dry hair though, so I'm sure some people had way better experiences than me.

@candyrivera I had the same experience, except I had to wash my hair 3-4 times. My hair was left soooo greasy after one wash. 😞 Never again.

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
Photos2
testing