Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

The What R U Watching Challenge ~ Post Your DVR or Streaming Queue!

So I know there are various threads where we post what we are viewing/streaming but I thought it might be interesting for 2018 to have a CHALLENGE to post the queue of your choice for what you are currently seeing on your screen. 🙂

Rules:

1. Rules... There are no stinking rules! (just kidding!)

2. No really.. basically take a screen or type a list of the queue of your choice. Acceptable lists could come from such places as your: home DVR, YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.

The more we share... the more you know! (oh wait... I'm not an NBC commercial!) But in all seriousness, my hope for this thread is by sharing these pics and/or lists we will learn about new shows, movies, series, etc. that some of us maybe never knew about before. The more we share, the more we learn. Sharing is caring!!!

So here is my share as of 01/16/2018 (taken from my home DVR via Verizon Fios):

IMG_0183.JPGIMG_7657.JPG

Yes, I have a problem. And my problem is named BRAVO.

@veronika23 @Tamara76 @Anonymous @tsavorite @ZombieMetroAnt @Ispend2much6 @darkiceis @Mcakes @k617 @mermadelove

(please tag others to join in the fun!)

Re: The What R U Watching Challenge ~ Post Your DVR or Streaming Queue!

Yes I've seen it @willa25! Did you know that House of Cards on Netflix is remake/version of a British show? I even loved Goodness Gracious Me, I have South Asian background and can totally relate to all the craziness!

@Aaliaa, Thank you for the recommendation of Goodness Gracious Me. I did some reading about it and it looks super interesting. I've read/watched a bunch of stuff that focus on British Indian characters so this is definitely up my alley. I will absolutely make sure to check this out!

Let me know how you like it @willa25.

Anonymous Insider

@Aaliaa

Love Mr. Bean!!!  Rowan Atkinson is hilarious!

Have you seen Blackadder @Anonymous? Its another hilarious Rowan Atkinson show

Highbrow ‘Peak TV’ to Try:

The Handmaiden’s Tale-the acting is amazing, as is the cinematography and music. It’s so profound and quite good. Season 2 starts in April. I would suggest slowly savoring over binging. Stream on Hulu.

The Good Place-This show is so smart and oh-so-funny. It’s a quick binge in Season 1 to get caught up before Season 2 is over. Stream on Netflix or Hulu.

Middle-Brow:

-The Bold Type-such a sweet and refreshingly honest look at female friendship and navigating early career drama. I absolutely loved Season 1. Season 1 on Hulu. 

The Magicians-Kind of a grown-up Harry Potter take on magic, with some Bad Narnia thrown in for fun.  This show manages to be delightful, snarky, and terribly entertaining. First two seasons are on Netflix. Season 3 just started. May not be for everyone, but if it is for you, you’ll love it. It accomplishes the difficult fear is succ safely expanding beyond its source books (written by Lev Grossman, and also pretty stellar)

Low Brow:

All.The.Bravo.

Vanderpump Rules, Southern Charm, Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, Real Housewives of New York...dipping my toe in to Atlanta and Dallas Housewives. 

Bravo is truly my drug of choice. 

I’m also in love with GoT, but have to wait until 2019 for more....

Always looking for new things to add to my queue, excited to read all the posts from this thread!

@heylady14,I can relate to your queue in so many ways! I think we are sisters basically.. lol! For example, you brought up, The Bold Type. I didn't even mention it.. but yes, hugely major show!!! Just watched it on Hulu and it was EXCELLENT!

As for the Handmaid's Tale, I completely respect the fact that you watch it and I actually read the book by Margaret Atwood (was exposed to it for the first time) back in my first semester of undergrad. The course was called, Nature of Politics. When I read the book back then it rocked my world and it basically still does today. The only difference is that today I feel it more closely connects to our actual reality as it presently exists then it was when I read it for the first time.  So @pocketvenus, I totally get what you are saying about not being able to watch it. @CakesCakes @Anonymous.. I would definitely watch this but understand it definitely is a heavy show.

@willa25, so happy to meet my pop culture twin! I read the Handmaid’s Tale in high school. I liked it, but hadn’t yet had enough life experiences to realize how relevant it would feel today. I totally understand @pocketvenus‘s perspective-it can be super dark at times. There are shows that I know will be great, just not right for me right now. That’s what I love about streaming. 

@heylady14... I think we are destined to be the best of friends!!! (not to sound all crazy like or anything.. lol)

First of all... 14 is my lucky number! (and like nobody knows that)

Second... well, the fact that you actually segmented your viewing guide into basically a class system of programs. Well, that is something I would only do!!!

Third... you totally impressed me calling out The Bold Type! That is my hidden gem, guilty pleasure, feminist manifesto of the new age... do I need to say more?!?!

Even when you mentioned the Magicians... I actually watched that too. Though to be 100% honest I watched that more as a spectator than a first person viewer. My husband was the one who found that show and he loves it.

You also super impressed me that you read Handmaid's Tale in high school. That's some heavy reading for a minor and as a teacher, well, color me impressed. When I was in high school my ride or die book was Catcher in the Rye.

Lastly... the reason why you just might be a true forever friend is that you are a Bravo nut just like me. The fact that you used the phrase, "drug of choice," to describe your love of our beloved cable channel... well... I'm basically dying!!! I think the only thing I love more than watching Bravo is searching for gifs related to Bravo programs.. 🙂

And with that I leave with some of favorite gifs of all time, girlfriend!!! You truly might be my sister from another mother!!!

giphygiphygiphygiphy

512D9F16-5E08-4D7D-96EE-B25836175521.gif

@willa25 

I read the novel many years ago and like you, it felt more distant to me then than now. But I was also much younger, more naive and had not read much history at that point. My friend and I are still watching Handmaid's Tale, but definitely not binge watching!

Anonymous Insider

@pocketvenus @willa25, the heaviness of The Handmaid's Tale is why I couldn't watch it as the original episodes premiered - I had read the book and I could see myself having similar reactions to it as @pocketvenus did while watching it.  I was also going through a lot of things and didn't think it was the best time then to watch it.   

Re Handmaid’s Tale. Read the original book, saw the movie way back when. I’ve avoided the mini series like the plague because I don’t want to have to take antidepressants again! Gimme rainbows and mermaids and witches and unicorns so I can spread love and make magick!

@heylady14@CakesCakes@Anonymous

I've been watching Handmaid with my girlfriend. It's good but also difficult for me to watch too many episodes in a row - half the time I want to yell at the screen because it's so full of this relentless misogyny (represented in a very critical way of course, not supporting it)! It can be disturbing watching it and drawing analogies to real life. But it is a thoughtful adaptation of the novel, has a very distinct cinematographic style and the costumes are excellent...

@heylady14 I really need to watch The Handmaidens Tale!! And I’ve seen season 1 of the Magicians. Harry Potter mixed with Narnia is a good description of it! 😁

Anonymous Insider

@heylady14, I've heard a lot of good things about The Handmaid's Tale.  I think I may try to time it so that I finish with the first season just in time for the start of Season 2. 

Oh man, it's kinda sad but I almost never have time for tv. The last show I watched was Stranger Things season 2 when it first came out. When I do watch I really binge though....like a season a day, or even an entire series in 2 days lol. I need to catch up on American Horror (2 seasons behind) Game of Thrones (1 season behind) Netflix is recommending Bright for me to watch, so I wanna see that. I also want to rewatch Breaking Bad, The Following and Fringe but just don't have the time. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I'm sure I'll be back to update! Ugh... I just remembered Shameless. I love that show!

@suzyo ahh, I miss Fringe! And I watched Bright over the weekend. It had so much potential but was confusing and left me disappointed. Let me know what you think when you get around to watching it! 

Anonymous Insider

@suzyo, Breaking Bad is one of the best shows ever!  Definitely worth watching again!

@Titian06, after our Sesame Street posts from earlier, it got me thinking. This is a shot in the dark as I don't know your age.. but do you remember, Reading Rainbow???

giphy

@willa25 - I remember Reading Rainbow, but didn't watch it since it came out after I graduated from HS.  I do know I caught an episode here and there when I babysat.

testing