Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

The BIC Plant and Gardening Thread

Hello BIC friends and fellow gardeners! Whether you have a container on your balcony, some indoor plants, a whole garden, or even if you just happen to visit a botanical garden or see a lovely space or plant in your neighborhood you want to share, this is the place! Please share pics, tips, plans and tricks about all things gardening!  

For many years I had a container balcony garden with mostly flowers and herbs (when travel allowed), and I am now embarking on my first backyard landscaping and gardening journey. 

I am often taking inspiration from the natural world around me and have recently had some spring inspiration for the Makeup Challenge of the Week and have loved chatting about gardening in our other threads, so I thought a new thread would be nice. 

It’s always so interesting to me to see plants and gardens from different regions and countries, so I hope you’ll join the conversation!  

PS: if you create a makeup look based on some plant or garden inspiration, please feel free to post your look or flat-lay here, too! 

Here are a few pics of my spring bulbs to start and I’ll share more soon (kindly ignore the weeds)! 

IMG_4017.jpeg

IMG_4387.jpeg

My old balcony (from the outside) - I’ll try to find an internal pic too:

IMG_3831.jpeg

Re: The BIC Plant and Gardening Thread

That’s so great! Good for saving that allium, I’m sure it will get settled and show some gratitude for its new home out from under the landscape fabric.  My mom always did so much woodworking and building and that was before you could just google anything! @JoSometimes 

That’s impressive that your mom could do this without Googling anything @sister13! That’s some real craftsmanship!

That planter is so beautiful @JoSometimes! And your allium is so beautiful 💜 If I were a bee, I would go to your beautiful garden as well!! 

Thanks @Saradestin! You’re too kind!

And I’d totally visit your area in a heart beat if I could. I’m sure the plants where you are probably seem normal to you but up here in zone 6, they’re considered exotic plants to us!

I find them exotic as well @JoSometimes ! I am used to the plants that grow in your area, because they are the ones that grow where I was born. But the really exotic ones are the ones in south Florida 😍

Updated allium pics! I’m so thrilled with these and can’t wait to plant more in the fall, lol! 

E48A29D5-0E38-41DE-8972-8A10D2A8FD2E.jpeg
75F82E63-8028-4C42-B473-CA46807C6174.jpeg

5D5A6682-3602-4E18-95C7-B6C2AEB404A7.jpeg

The allium are so beautiful, I love the colour @sister13 

Thanks @dimesandnichols , I’m so happy with them too! 

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous @sister13!!! They are so beautiful!! 💜💜💜💜 and adding more is going to make the area look even more spectacular! 

Thanks! They are so fun! And I think people acan be  intimidated/not interested by gardening, so I’m realizing many people have no flowers in their yards, so I’ll have to make up for that, lol. @Saradestin 

Your alloums are growing so well @sister13!

Thanks! I’m honestly as surprised as anyone, but so glad they have turned out so well! Our soil is straight up clay so I don’t know how anything grows in it but hoping some of the native plants and others I’ve chosen will thrive like the bulbs have. @JoSometimes 

As things grow and decompose, the soil will improve. You’ll have a lush, green garden in no time @sister13!

Yeah, I wish I had gotten to do the sheet mulching everywhere I wanted to do over the winter (and didn’t get to), but I agree, it’ll get there eventually! @JoSometimes 

Onions and garlics don’t require rich soils so I am

sure that they will grow as happy as you can already see @sister13 

Your allium are gorgeous, @sister13 ! 💖💖💖

Thank you so much! They have been making me smile, I don’t know how they stand so tall and straight even with our crazy wind and driving Rain this spring! @Titian06 

IMG_2963.jpeg

Finished tire planters with flowers that my kids picked out. Gerberas, dianthus, strawberry, some creeping thyme, among other plants they picked out. It was more about colour and wow factor for them than picking specific varieties. 

And after all this work, they STILL went to dig up other pots in the yard! 🙃🫠😅

The tires are so cute @JoSometimes 😍

Thank you @dimesandnichols! I can’t take all the credit though. My kids picked out the flowers. 

@JoSometimes - I love dianthus!  I used to have these planted at my apartment.  They were transplants from my grandmother's stash! 😭  I also love daisies.  My avatar before this one was of daisies.

Your tire planters turned out great!  Probably why your kids wanted to dig elsewhere. 🤣

Conversation Stats
Photos272
  • IMG_4017.jpeg
  • IMG_4387.jpeg
  • IMG_3831.jpeg
  • IMG_3145.jpeg
  • IMG_3959.jpeg
  • IMG_3997.jpeg
  • IMG_3998.jpeg
  • IMG_4391.jpeg
  • IMG_3481.jpeg
  • IMG_7830.jpeg