Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

CRYSTALS, GEMS AND JEWELRY

I know a few of us share a passion for crystals and jewelry as well as makeup so thought I would start a thread on this. Share your stash, finds, whatever!

crysthr17.jpg

Re: CRYSTALS, GEMS AND JEWELRY

@prettyinpa  think you will like this too. I'm sorry I didn't tag you sooner. 😞

@veronika23-  Thanks for the tag, this indeed is my kind of thread!  Will post pics when I'm not on my phone. I got to see a huge part of Liz Taylor's collection in the big show that Van Cleef & Arpel's had a few years ago.  Plus a bunch of their historical stuff.  If anyone is into really old jewelry, there is ancient Egytian and Peruvian jewelry at the Penn Museum in Philly. Plus real mummies if you're into that kind of stuff!

Cool @prettyinpa 🙂 Looking forward to see your stuff 🙂

From Wikipedia:
"Fingal's Cave is formed entirely from hexagonally jointed basalt columns within a Paleocene lava flow, similar in structure to the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland and those of nearby Ulva.

In all these cases, cooling on the upper and lower surfaces of the solidified lava resulted in contraction and fracturing, starting in a blocky tetragonal pattern and transitioning to a regular hexagonal fracture pattern with fractures perpendicular to the cooling surfaces. As cooling continued these cracks gradually extended toward the centre of the flow, forming the long hexagonal columns we see in the wave-eroded cross-section today. Similar hexagonal fracture patterns are found in desiccation cracks in mud where contraction is due to loss of water instead of cooling."IMG_1339.JPG

This is so pretty and unreal looking. Let's all go into the cave of wonders and see where it takes us!

@lmi82 Thanks for the site recommendations!  I will look into them when I have spare time!  Have you read "A History of Jewelry?"  I took it out of the library a while back and read the beginning - fascinating stuff!  I wish I had finished it.

@greeneyedgirl107 You're welcome! I haven't read that book, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out sometime. 🙂

@Beadshopgirl Thanks for posting that amazing pic!  Who knew something like that existed!

@Beadshopgirl - Wow!  That's gorgeous!

amazing! The colours, too...

I've been to Giant's Causeway and was in awe at what nature can accomplish. Will have to add this to my travel list!

Wow! That's really pretty @Beadshopgirl. Magical!

diamondearrings.png

Oh you know, just a stunning pair of fancy cut diamond earrings that sold for $57,425,478. No big deal 😛 

Idk if anyone else gets geeky like me but the auction results section of the Sotheby's site is amazing to look at 😄 

Sotheby's auctions have the most amazing stuff!! @Mcakes

Check out this amazing nearly 60-carat diamond called the Pink Star...there was a video on one site showing how light is reflected off this diamond and I watched it so, so many times. 😄

(Can we also just talk about how this model's gel nails seem to be lifting/cracking?! If I were to hold an $80 million diamond and be photographed, I'd ensure my nails were FLAWLESS!)

Pink Star DiamondPink Star Diamond

@Beadshopgirl  I think you'll need to share some of your creations here 😉

Ooh, thanks for the tag @veronika23! This is my kind of thread!!!

@Beadshopgirl  can't wait to see what you share. Sorry I meant to tag you yesterday and well me and my scatter brain I forgot until now 😄 😄 😄

@veronika23 - You come up with the best threads!

I was obsessed with collecting rocks and minerals when I was a kid.  My favorite piece is a geode (I have the whole geode) with purple/amethyst crystals!  I'm now really into Larimar; I have a few pieces of jewelry.

Unfortunately I was raised by parents who still believed that "girls can't do math and science" or I would be a geologist, gemologist, or some other -ist in the rock and mineral industry.  😞

Thank you @Titian06 🙂

Ohhh sounds nice! I love Larimar too! I also love Moonstones, Quartz, Turquoise... well pretty much anything blue :D. I will have to upload some pics when I can figure out where the picture folders are lol

It's not too late.  Could you take a course to have your creds for gemologist? Or maybe not your full creds but to learn more? Could start a side business 😉

@Titian06. oh cool!  Wow yeah I can understand that... You need a break! 🙂

@veronika23 - Oh, wow!  I love those same gems as well...and anything blue!  Particularly sapphire (real, not synthetic).

Thanks for the suggestion on gemology courses!  I am so burned out from going to school for 15 years (AAB, BA, MBA)--working a full-time job, a part-time job, and going to school in the evenings--that taking any type of course, workshop, conference, makes me freak out!  It will be a while before I can step into a learning environment again!  😄

@veronika23  Has anyone read Elizabeth Taylor's "My Love Affair with Jewelry?"  I think they re-released it recently.  Super fun for any jewelry addict...if only it had pics of her whole collection!

Image result for my love affair with jewelry

Photos127
  • crysthr17.jpg
  • diamondearrings.png
  • IMG_1339.JPG
  • image.jpeg
  • 7-14-2017 9-11-44 AM.jpg
  • 7-14-2017 9-12-03 AM.jpg
  • 7-14-2017 9-12-23 AM.jpg
  • 7-14-2017 9-12-35 AM.jpg
  • 7-14-2017 9-12-45 AM.jpg
  • 7-14-2017 9-12-56 AM.jpg
  • Pink Star Diamond
  • My pearl bead collection. I'll use them all eventually!
  • I want this sink!
  • cbf6242e0bed6001d406f54feb9a49cb--huge-bathtub-dream-bathrooms.jpg
testing