Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

save or splurge?

I was going thru my stash last night and discovered I had a wide range of price points for my products.  So I thought I'd make a question thread:  Which products do you save your money and which do you spend (an obsene) amount on?  

I used to save on shampoo and conditioner, but now that is a total splurge for me.  It really makes a difference for my hair.   I also splurge on eye and night cream as I think this is the most important part for me.  I also will splurge on foundations, and eyeshadows/liners.  

I tend to save on soaps and body washes, lotions, and lip gloss and chap stick.    I also save on shaving cream, nail polish remover, makeup remover wipes, and cotton balls.  (Although I just threw in a Sheseido cotton pack when at Ulta because I had to see what the hype was about.)  I also save on sunscreens and hair oils- although I'm all over the Macademia oil from Ulta tomorrow- love that stuff!)

I plan to edit this as I think of more items...

Edit:  I also save on mascara, micellar water, face masks, and skincare from The Ordinary (lately).

Re: save or splurge?

Save

Soaps - My husband travels a lot and always brings home any hotel soaps he doesn't use if they are nicer. I find it's difficult for me to even use them all. I do like the Ulta liquid soaps though and will sometimes buy those, but they're cheap too so either way I save on soaps.

Face moisturizers - I use mostly high end ones, but due to the beauty boxes I get, I seem to have an endless supply of samples. I *sometimes* buy these if there's a range I want to try together (recently it was the Juice line), but it's rare.

Shampoo/Conditioner - Again, if there are nice ones at his hotel stay, my husband brings these back for me. At some point we amassed a number of Atelier Cologne ones, I think they came from his stays at the Mandarin Oriental, and I absolutely adore them. I also tend to get samples of shampoos and conditioners as foils or in beauty boxes. 

Retinol - I'm unlucky enough to have adult acne, but on the bright side this means my insurance covers the cost of the prescription retinol I use. I'm glad we have good insurance and fingers crossed it remains that way!

Body Lotion - Like face moisturizers, I can never seem to use these up! I use them every night, but always seem to have to throw a few away every year. I don't think I've purchased one outright in years. Oh, except for that Bum Bum Cream everyone was talking about. Usually I get my lotions either from hubby's hotel stays or from beauty boxes. I think they're just really inexpensive to make so everyone throws them in GWPs.

SPF - I try to not spend too much on sunscreens since I use them every single day. A $50 sunscreen that I need to buy once a month is not ideal, since I could be using my money on other fun things instead. For the body, Ulta has a pretty good sunscreen that's cheap. The packaging changes from time to time, but it always seems to be around the $10 mark and since it's Ulta brand you can use coupons on it. I'll sometimes splurge on sunscreens for my face though, since I worry about flaring up my acne by using a cheap one. My dermatologist recently told me that I should try the EltaMD one, which I would consider to be more middle-of-the-road on price.

Face Masks - I can't bring myself to splurge on a face mask I'm not getting done to me in a spa. I won't pay more than $10 for a sheet mask. The only non-sheet masks I've gone out of my way to purchase was the PTR set, which I have mixed feelings about. For mud masks and the like, I get so many samples in GWPs and beauty boxes that I can never seem to use them all up.

Brush Cleanser - I make my own using the dish soap/oil method.

Splurge

Trendy Items - I tend to fall victim to wanting to try things that everyone is talking about. Even if it's something I know I have a dupe for already, I will often buy it.

Makeup in General - I do sometimes buy lower end makeup items, but I find that I only use them when I run out of higher end stuff.

Serums - I love the feeling of serums. I don't know what it is about them, but when I put them on my skin, it feels so refreshed. Unfortunately, all the best serums seem to cost $50 or more and I use them rather quickly. I plan to try some of the stuff The Ordinary offers soon, so hopefully I can save a little on these from now on.

Fragrances - I just feel like I can smell the difference between a high end fragrance and a low end fragrance. I really know nothing about how much it costs to make them, but I guess it has more to do with how the fragrance makes me feel when I put it on. Anyway, since the bottle lasts so long, I don't mind spending a little extra on a good one.

Nail Polish - I have no idea why the same color in a little bottle labelled Dior is so much more appealing to me. It's silly. But that's just the way it is.

For most other things, I tend to go more middle-of-the-road on price. I try to pick things based on the quality of the ingredients rather than the price.

@purly i'm with ya, i love stocking up on good bath items at hotels. there was one i stayed at that had Lather and another recent one was l'occitane. my bf also travels a lot for work, but he's still learning what's "good" and should be brought home vs ones that i dont like lol

Haha, yeah, hubby sometimes brings home ones I don't want. At least he knows not to bring home Pantene. But recently he came home with some PTR so that was a score. He usually uses up the ones I don't want. He has that kind of hair that's really thick/strong and always looks perfect, even if he uses terrible shampoo on it.

Getting good free bath stuff is some small benefit in what is otherwise a nuisance (not getting to see him most of the week is hard on us).

I splurge on most makeup items. The exception is for colors I don't plan on wearing that often. I'm currently looking for eye shadow and lip color for an upcoming class reunion. The colors I plan on getting are ones I don't see myself wearing on an everyday basis. I also save on eyebrow products. Mine are naturally black and thick and don't need a whole lot. I normally just use a tinted brow gel.

I splurge on hair products. Given all the issues my hair has (color treated, dry ends, frizz), drugstore items won't touch it.

I should start saving on face wash. I've found a good drugstore dupe for the summer face wash I've been using. Need to find a dupe for the one I use in winter.

Body care I save on. I take advantage of Bath & Body Works Buy # for $# sales and stock up.

Hi everyone!

I love that this thread really makes me think about my spending priorities when it comes to beauty products. Here are my save and splurge lists:

Save:

Body lotions

Face Toner

Shampoos/conditioners 

Deodorant 

Splurge:

Face wash

Face lotions/moisturizer 

Serums

Face oils

Face masks

Hair pomade/styling products

This is a pretty generalized list. It doesn't mean I won't try out products that are less expensive or pricier. I love getting recommendations from YouTubers that are being sponsored, unless it's a YouTuber that I know will only take sponsorship for products they believe in. Sometimes, I don't necessarily save/splurge, and the items I buy will be more moderately priced ($20-$25 range), so kinda in between! Anyways, I'd love to try out more high end shampoos/conditioners/hair treatments, body lotions/butters,  and body washes. Any recommendations are always welcome! 😉

Cheers!
Nikko

@NikkoBT looking at everyone's posts, i think i'm the only one that splurges on body lotion 😞

but i really love the bliss body butters. the price point is a little high ($29), but i've only ever gotten them when they are on sale. I have dry skin and this lotion keeps it hydrated in the winter, and is also surprisingly light enough that i use it in the summer, too. the scents are nice and not overpowering, but i prefer the naked body butter

@phantompenguinx You're probably doing something that a lot of us aren't then, which is taking care of the rest of the body. 

I'll definitely have to check out the Bliss body butters because I feel like I neglect the rest of my body since I'm so focused on keeping my face from breaking out lol. 

Cheers!
Nikko

I splurge on pretty much any makeup item. I use to save on shampoo/conditioner, hair care products, body wash, and nail polish but I tend to splurge on these now too.

I still will save on some things:

-Lotion (Nivea in-shower cocoa butter lotion)

-Nail polish remover (Target brand)

-Makeup remover (also Target brand)

-Cotton Rounds (I save but i'm picky lol. I mainly use the Wegmans organic cotton rounds, but they are around the same price as most other store brand ones. And cheapest ones at Wegmans)

-Face Masks (Tony Moly and Say Yes To Tomatoes are my favorites)

-Deodorant (Secret or Dove)

-Lip Balm (rosebud salve or Maybelline)

@Kay522   When it comes to deoderant, I only buy Secret clinical.  I know this is a drugstore item, but its the highest priced drugstore brand.  I dont care how much it is, its the only one that works for me and worth the price.  

@makeupobesessed

this post just made me realize that.. I save on nothing.  😞

However..

I only own 1 piece for each make-up product that I use (except for 2 small eyeshadow palettes), maybe because I don't tend to experiment a lot with colors (like lipsticks, eyeshadows or blushes); when I find the right shade / formula I tend to stick with it and very rarely buy an alternative.

I also like to invest in mini sizes as normally a product lasts for a year and I feel there is no need for a full size.. there is so much product left in the package when is time to throw it! 

I like to give my mom or sister a sample of the fresh foundation or BB cream I buy as, once again, I never finish the whole bottle. 

Generally I like to invest in good quality tools and products because they last longer (I have been using some of my Sigma brushes for 7 years) and they have a better perfomance, so I have less chances to replace it with a new one if it doesn't work well. 

😉 

Save: nail polish, soap (both body soap and hand soap), nail polish remover, sunscreen, cotton rounds, deodorant, body lotion, hairspray (I've been using Herbal Essences for well over a decade!).

Splurge: makeup, especially lipsticks (mainly because that's my weakness), skincare, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner.

During my first year of living on my own, I learned the hard way about getting cheap TP. Fortunately I have no problem affording Charmin now.

I hear you on the TP!! Must have the good stuff.

@txcatx I'm so curious, what's your splurge toilet paper?? 🙂

@phantompenguinx It's just Charmin versus anything else! Still, I'm paying more per package, haha.

@txcatx my mom has taught me the necessity in life of buying nice toilet paper. We love our Charmin Ultra Soft (I do especially after the horrors of free toilet paper in college dorms), my mom even has a specific size she likes. 😄 

XOXO,
Marieke

@txcatx haha that's what i thought you meant, but i was secretly hoping you were going to reveal a new magical toilet paper none of us have heard of 😛

I splurge on almost everything except:

• body wash - anything that smells good
  • body lotion - I use CeraVe
  • deodorant - anything that smells good and doesn't leave a white stain on black clothes
  • eye liner - my current daily eyeliner is Rimmel liquid eyeliner
  • and some less than necessary items that I don't frequently use like brow gel  and lip liner

Most of my skincare and makeup is from Sephora. I'd say my ultimate splurge--where I'm willing to spend lots of it--is skincare.

Splurge:  mainly on skincare and eyeshadows, although I've splurged on every kind of makeup at least once, just don't plan to continue buying everything high end.  I have enough eyeshadow palettes to last the rest of my life but those are my weakness.  

Save:  body lotion/wash, sunscreen, nail polish, deodorant, lip balms/liners/lipstick & gloss, eyeliner, mascara, and blush.  

I've tried out different price points with bronzers, highlighters, blush, lip products, eyeliners, etc.  I have more than I need, but I enjoy having options.  If I  have a special event, I use my high end products.  If I'm just running to the grocery store or primarily staying at home, I use basic products and go with a minimal look.

I save on mascara, eyeshadow singles (but not palettes), ad body care. I splurge on shampoo and conditioner because I only wash my hair twice a week and I want to make the most of it. Plus, if I buy the liter bottles when there's a promo I'm set for 6 months or more. I buy middle of the road most of the time- skincare, foundations, and powder products are usually high end but not designer. I save my super splurges for when something really catches my eye, regardless of what type of product it is.

Great thread! 🙂

Splurge:

• Makeup - I splurged on just about every makeup product I own (foundations, bronzers, brushes, primers, eyeshadow & palettes, blush, lipstick/liners, etc.).
  • Skincare - my main staples are splurges, including sunscreen. They work well for me, so I'm not willing to compromise.
  • Hair care - my shampoo, conditioner, hair oils and masks are mostly splurges. I have much better results with them than the drugstore products I used in the past.

Save:

• Mascara - I've been living off mascara samples for the past 2-ish years. I like high end mascaras, but I rarely need to buy them with all the samples floating around.
  • Brow gel - I can't bring myself to spend $30 on a clear brow gel.
  • Face wash 
  • Nail polish (and remover)
  • Lip balm
  • Coconut oil
  • Body wash
  • Body lotions

Conversation Stats
testing