Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

The Travel Beauty Thread

(January 2023) Thought I’d resurrect this thread, now that there’s a bit more possibility of travel these days! I would love to live vicariously and learn from fellow BICers, so please post any tips, pics, and/or your fave travel minis or routine!  I’m still not doing a lot of travel these days, but may post some pics and notes from past trips.  💗💗💗

—————

Since the old travel thread sadly got lost in the switchover (😢😢😢) it was suggested a while back, and I’ve been meaning to get a new one started. If there is one already for this, let me know. I travel a bit for work and for fun, and I love checking out beauty stores and seeking out exclusive or hard-to-find items in different places around the world. Some of my favorite makeup destinations have been the Face Powder and Perfume Museum in Torino, Italy (a surprise find) and the Les Merveilleuses Laduree in Tokyo. I have relied on great tips from other BT/BICers on many of my trips, especially Toronto and Tokyo, so I would love to keep this updated as a resource for BIC.

Please share your discoveries, store reviews, pictures, purchases, and travel tips, and I’ll try to keep and update summaries here in the main post for future reference. If you don’t have a chance for much travel, feel free to share your favorite beauty destinations in your home city. I plan to update with photos below from various trips as I have the chance to organize my archives and update. What do you guys think? Feel free to make suggestions on how to organize this thread, too, it might be a bit of a work in progress. Thanks and happy travels BT/BIC!

Re: The Travel Beauty Thread

I finally found the Travel Thread @greeneyedgirl107 . So I am back to traveling and love it! Me and my husband just did two nice trips. We went on an Alaska cruisetour out of Vancouver September 10th doing the cruise the first week and the land the second week. The Fall colors were beautiful and my favorite pic if this trip was were in Denali National Park and it started snowing and it settled on the trees, just magical. Then we came home for two nights and flew to Quebec ( I had airfare credit I had to use by the end of this year and snagged this East Coast cruise cheap) The weather was terrific and cruised from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale. Next year I already have booked a 21 night cruise that leaves Fort Lauderdale that goes through the Panama Canal and ends in Seattle. I also loved our East Coast cruise so much that I booked another cruise next Fall that starts in Montreal and ends in Boston. My husband and I have always traveled independently and overseas but I'm finding the cruises to be easier on him as he gets older and has some medical issues. I'm going to try to remember to tag all my old besties so ya'll can see what I've been up too 😊 Sorry, I accidentally started with East Coast pics first then Alaska. 

@tsavorite @sister13 @Samtian @eshoe 

@WinglessOne @CookieGirl1 @Sunnysmom @SportyGirly125 @Ispend2much6 @gonerogue @curlychiquita  If I missed anyone please feel free to tag.

1000011238.jpg

20230922_105952.jpg

1000011237.jpg

Screenshot_20230930_110444_Gallery.jpg

20230930_173833.jpg

1000011236.jpg

1000011235.jpg

20230923_163752.jpg

20230921_111015.jpg

1000011234.jpg

1000011233.jpg

20230920_170054.jpg

1000011232.jpg

20230920_161119.jpg

1000011231.jpg

1000011230.jpg

1000011229.jpg

1000011228.jpg

@Luvstravel What an awesome trip. Your pictures are gorgeous.

@Luvstravel your photos are stunning!

Thanks @CorgiMommy  The Fall colors were so amazing to see in person!

@Luvstravel @I’m glad you and your husband had a great time. I think Alaska cruise is a must (If I can convince my husband to go on a cruise)😘 Otherwise we just flight to Alaska and do our own thing one day. Cruise is perfect for friend and family reunion. 

Our family friend asked if she could tag along because her husband won't fly or cruise. It worked out great. She was able to get a balcony cabin next to us on the cruise and on land her room was next to us every night.

20230909_113949.jpg

20230922_144825.jpg

That sounds lovely @Luvstravel . My first cruise was my college roommate wedding. During the day we did our own things or with a smaller group and all get together back at night for dinner and show or game. I miss that 😘

It’s so good to see you again, @Luvstravel —and hooray for traveling again! Experiencing new places is one of the best things in the world, and I miss it*. Looks and sounds like your trips were indeed wonderful! 

Have you gone through the Panama Canal before? I haven’t; that’s one of my must-dos. The only water locks I’ve been through are the Soo Locks, way back in my Michigan childhood. Which cruise line are you sailing for that 21 night cruise? Cruising in general is a great way to travel, I find. I mean, as long as no one’s prone to motion sickness 😂—though today’s behemoth ships (lookin’ at you, Royal Caribbean) are so wide, you can just barely feel them sway/roll through the water. Sailing on 2 of RC’s oasis class ships made me kinda miss their smaller ships (which to me are still huge). Anyway, I’m glad your husband’s able to cruise without issues. Sure, it’s not the same as flying to a destination (domestic or foreign) and spending several days in each location, but it’s still a great option. I hope you enjoy your 2024 cruises! 

*I’ve been sidelined with health issues. Hopefully I’ll get to travel again next year though, even if the destination’s just one or two states away. 🙂 

Also @WinglessOne don't let those health issues take you down. Make sure you keep a good outlook ( I'm just speaking from seeing my husband's problems) because there is too much to see and do in this world. I literally took one back pack full of medical. I had his BP machine, his cardiac meds, also Paxlovid in case he got covid, a thermometer and covid test kits, alcohol pads, and the Emergency C I was telling you about. I felt I was ready in case anything happened but luckily it was smooth sailing on the health end 😊

Thanks @WinglessOne . My husband had heart Ablation and then a pacemaker this summer but he's doing great. I picked Holland America to cruise with ( we did a Mediterranean cruise years ago with them ) and also I know that most passengers that cruise Holland America are older so if something was to happen they would know how to deal with it ( plus their food is fabulous) So I'm trying to stay close to the U.S. this first year just for precautions, hence the Alaska, East Coast and in April the Panama Canal.  He did great on ours trips and got his 10,000 steps in daily so it's looking good. The Panama Canal was one of his top trips he wanted to do I just decided to pick a long cruise 😁 ( no cooking, cleaning and we have them do our laundry, it's great ) The rough sea did get him a half of a day in Alaska and then also a half of a day on the East Coast but it was just for 6-8 hours. His problem comes on we he gets in the shower and is closed in on a rough sea day. I told him next trip he can skip the shower on a rough sea day and just throw some deodarant on. I think be closed up in the shower sets him off. We do take Bonine ( over the counter med ) daily for our cruises. We also took our Emergency C daily, him the gummies with 1,000 mg and me the crystals with 500mg and really think that helped on not getting covid. Last year he came back from Italy with covid but it was just a 4-5 bad day cold it seemed like. When you talked about the huge cruise ships, here is a pic when we were in Juneau Alaska and the Holland boat was the smallest but like you said, the smaller boats seem more homey and you can learn the ship pretty quick. We did a cruise on one of Norwegians larger boats and I didn't like it as well.

20230913_133519.jpg

Wow, those shops are huge! Thanks for sharing these tips on cruises, I’ve never taken one but maybe someday. @Luvstravel 

@Luvstravel  wow! Looks like you had a wonderful trip! 

Thanks @ather We had a great time! 

Thank you for sharing your darling beautiful pics @Luvstravel ! You guys are so cute and it all looks just lovely! I’ve heard folks mention the Alaskan cruises and just loving them. You look so relaxed and happy! 💞

Thanks @Sunnysmom I love seeing new places and discovering new things. I would definitely go back to Alaska, it was so gorgeous! Also there is so much more to see since it's sooooo spread out.

If I go anywhere ever again I will find you for your tips @Luvstravel ! 😆😭 Feel like it’s been so long. I’m also one of those who gets motion sickness so even when I fly Bonine is my friend as well. I’m thinking I could handle a river cruise tho right?! France etc?! A girl can dream! 💞

Hooray, @Luvstravel, it's so wonderful to hear from you! I love seeing your pictures! I haven't been to Alaska,the scenery looks gorgeous.  The cruise from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale sounds like a great way to travel.  Fort Lauderdale to the Panama Canal to Seattle sounds like the trip of a lifetime and I know you'll really be looking forward to it.  I'm glad everything is going well!!

Thanks @curlychiquita I'm definitely happy that we are traveling again and love seeing new places.

Oh @Luvstravel, these really are just breathtaking. You captured so many of the fall colours so beautifully! I spent a couple of weeks on the East Coast last month, and I would go back in a heartbeat. I can see why you have already booked a cruise for there next fall! Thank you for sharing, I loved every single photo. 

Someone had recommended the High Roller lobster restaurant in Portland and it didn't disappoint. This was the first time for us to try them and didn't realize the sauce makes them. We did 3 of the 2oz sandwiches which was called the trio. We got jalapeño mayo on one ( my husband's favorite) lime mayo on another and garlic mayo ( my favorite on the other) I also got the small melted butter and poured it over all three. Next time we pass through we will each get our own. 

20231005_130504.jpg

Thanks @eshoe . What I didn't include was trying a lobster roll for the first time in Portland Maine. We split a trio sampler and didn't realize it was the sauce that makes them delicious! I love seeing new places and trying new foods.

20231005_135941.jpg

20231005_132624.jpg

374 Replies
Photos205
  • Beautiful sunset!
  • Iconic scene along Mariahilfstraße on the River Inn.
  • Mermaid Tails and Fins! Whole racks of them!
  • D3C937C6-07DE-4133-A427-6BF4A1AE802C.jpeg
  • More mermaid-y stuff!
  • Lovely shop Grüne Erde, with Natural Beauty and housewares.
  • Lovely skincare and cosmetics section.
  • The whole place was lovely, I especially loved the bulk herbs at the cashwrap! Sehr schön!
  • Bought a makeup remover and gentle balm cleanser, got samples and a free lavender sachet.
  • 6E5695B7-DF6D-44FC-9742-DF648E454E09.jpeg
  • This Weigano Perfumerie and Kosmetik surprised me. Tiny store front but a long narrow store inside packed floor to ceiling with prestige fragrance, cosmetics and skincare. I could have spent hours here. They had a wonderful German perfumer featured Lengling, and I’m hoarding some samples until I get back to Germany/Austria next time.
  • Weigano.
  • Weigano, the store went back like 3x this length. Heaven!
  • Nägele & Strubell (Nails & Brushes) is another high end Austrian shop/chain. They carried Annick Goutal, and some Middle Eastern fragrances that were new to me. Lots of variety.
  • Oh Canada!
testing