Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

The Travel Beauty Thread

(January 2023) Thought I’d resurrect this thread, now that there’s a bit more possibility of travel these days! I would love to live vicariously and learn from fellow BICers, so please post any tips, pics, and/or your fave travel minis or routine!  I’m still not doing a lot of travel these days, but may post some pics and notes from past trips.  💗💗💗

—————

Since the old travel thread sadly got lost in the switchover (😢😢😢) it was suggested a while back, and I’ve been meaning to get a new one started. If there is one already for this, let me know. I travel a bit for work and for fun, and I love checking out beauty stores and seeking out exclusive or hard-to-find items in different places around the world. Some of my favorite makeup destinations have been the Face Powder and Perfume Museum in Torino, Italy (a surprise find) and the Les Merveilleuses Laduree in Tokyo. I have relied on great tips from other BT/BICers on many of my trips, especially Toronto and Tokyo, so I would love to keep this updated as a resource for BIC.

Please share your discoveries, store reviews, pictures, purchases, and travel tips, and I’ll try to keep and update summaries here in the main post for future reference. If you don’t have a chance for much travel, feel free to share your favorite beauty destinations in your home city. I plan to update with photos below from various trips as I have the chance to organize my archives and update. What do you guys think? Feel free to make suggestions on how to organize this thread, too, it might be a bit of a work in progress. Thanks and happy travels BT/BIC!

Re: The Travel Beauty Thread

I also forgot to mention: these new Les Extraits had just arrived that day. They are single note, highly concentrated fragrances using Maison Guerlain’s top signature materials, Iris, Vanilla, Tonka, Jasmine, Bergamot and Rose. They are meant to be worn alone or layered. Pricy at $630 for 50 ml! You can customize the cap, cord and seal for these too. My favorites were the Tonka, Jasmine and Vanilla. 

IMG_4199.jpeg

From the Guerlain website:

IMG_5227.png

IMG_5231.png

@sister13 enjoy, wish we could smell them through the app.

I’m late replying but yes, smell-o-nternet should really be a thing, these were so good! @CorgiMommy 

(I always forget how badly Sephora degrades the pictures. If you click on then, you can see more clearly.)  

I had a conference in Vegas and my husband got his tattoo finished. I made it to the Guerlain boutique which is inside the Bellagio, so I got to see the Bellagio Conservatory and Botanic Gardens display, which was so incredible. It was Fall themed with real flowers and gorgeous fairies and glittery pumpkins and oh it’s with smoke coming out. Just super adorable and magical and smelled so amazing! 

IMG_4191.jpeg

IMG_4189.jpeg

IMG_4176.jpeg

IMG_4146.jpeg

IMG_4140.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

IMG_4157.jpeg

IMG_4130.jpeg

Anyway, on to the Guerlain boutique! Also Heavenly! I ended up getting a bottle of Angelique Noire, which I have been wanting for a couple years since that is only the 2nd  perfume i have ever finished an entire bottle of! I was really wanting to try the new Tobacco Honey and it was tempting but Angelique Noire remained irresistible!

IMG_4193.jpeg

IMG_4171.jpeg

IMG_4173.jpeg

IMG_4204.jpeg

IMG_4195.jpeg

IMG_4631.jpeg

They don’t do engraving there but you do get to customize your bottle with a cap, cord and seal. I chose the new cap with a gold and silver flecked too, pink cord with gold seal. It’s so good, I’ve been wearing it every day. They also gave me a bunch of samples and shipped the bottle home  for free so I didn’t have to worry about packing it. The salespeople were both really lovely and so knowledgeable with the best descriptions of all the fragrances which I wish I could remember! 

We also went to Din Tai Fung for soup dumplings. I had DTF for the first time several years ago in Hong Kong with a friend from college, so I must go to Din Tai Fung if I I’m in a city with a location. So far, I’ve been to DTF in HK, Singapore and Las Vegas. We had the xiao long nap (soup dumplings), spicy wontons, and fried rice and the bok choy are delectable. I also had a perfect boba tea! 

IMG_4256.jpeg

I almost forgot to mention that I was so sad to see that my very favorite Sephora in the world closed, which was the one outside of Venetian. It was such a lovely store with so many brands and the best natural light for testing and searching. Actually, someone I talked to said their rent was astronomical and they never usually made enough to cover how expensive it was. But, that was really sad to see! 

Beautiful pictures, @sister13! I haven't been to Vegas, I should go just for the shopping! The Guerlain boutique looks amazing. I'm glad you found a scent you love!

Definitely amazing shopping! And tax tree, so it can be worth it for higher ticket items. They have all the designer boutiques! @curlychiquita 

Gorgeous pics @sister13 That would have been truly amazing to see in person. I hate to hear your favorite Sephora store closed. I have to drive an hour just to browse one that is in a Kohls store when it used to be a stand alone Sephora. I guess times are changing. 

Yes, there are still plenty of Sephoras in Vegas but not as convenient. We have stayed at Venetian a few times and it was so easy to pop over and play with all the makeup! And it was in such a pretty building designed to look old Italian/European!

I am extremely fortunate where I live, there are lots of Sephoras around between 5-30 minutes away.  @Luvstravel 

@sister13 pretty cool, enjoy your goodies

Thanks! @CorgiMommy 

@sister13 #That Bellagio setting is so dreamy and ethereal, I love it. Enjoy your Guerlain goodies !

Thanks! I didn’t realize the mushrooms were decorated with real flowers, it was all a work of art, a fairy woodsy wonderland! @makeitup305 

I was just reading back through this thread and wanted to share some pics and tips for @Luvstravel since you are headed to Austria! I am so excited for you! Are you going to be in Vienna/Wien? I was there in 2016 in early December and it was truly magical! I love Vienna in summer too, but the markets were amazing! I think my very favorite was the Christkindlmarkt am Rathausplatz (City Hall). They had a skating rink and arts and crafts, and wonderful food and beer and Glühwein! I’m pretty sure this one was where I got most of the Christmas presents and the most amazing wool hat that I’ve treasured ever since! 

If you are going elsewhere in Austria, some of the below will apply, but I was only in Vienna at Christmas time, and for a work conference, so I didn’t have tons of time! 

IMG_9910.jpegIMG_9908.jpegIMG_0821.jpegIMG_0081.jpegIMG_0076.jpegIMG_0824.jpegIMG_0018.jpegIMG_0825.jpeg

However, I also highly recommend getting out to the Schönbrunn Palace and gardens and they had a great market too! This is wool hat, enjoying a Glühwein!

IMG_0033.jpegIMG_0038.jpeg

For beauty, keep an eye out for Nagele & Strubell, Marionnaud and Douglas. There was another amazing perfume shop, I usually take pics of the signs so I can find the, again, but those pics are missing, but I think it was down near the Nagele & Strubell and the other beauty shops in one of the main shopping areas in the Altstadt. 

IMG_0041.jpegIMG_0045.jpegIMG_0046.jpegIMG_0052.jpegIMG_0094.jpeg

Bring warm stuff, or plan to buy some at the markets! Have the best time and I can’t wait to see pics! I’m so hoping to get to Budapest someday! 

FOOD YOU MUST EAT!

For food at the markets, everyone mostly just stands around tables together. You must get the following: Käsespätzle (Spätzle with cheese, OMG it’s so good!), Raclette if they have it, Würstl (sausages) and/or Currywurst! “Mit Senf” is with mustard if you like mustard. And Kartoffelsalat (potato salad). Glühwein is sweet spiced wine, warmed. Usually, you’ll give a deposit for the mugs and if you return the mug, you get your money back. 

I’m definitely missing some pics from this trip, my stupid iCloud got split into two somehow. But at least I found a few. Oh, and I’m still mad at myself for not buying a Dirndl!! Just note, the real Dirndl shops can be sensitive to tourists wanting to try on just for pics and not serious about buying! 

@sister13 the photos are awesome.  I have got to go to the Christmas markets in Europe some year.

It’s really wonderful, I hope to get back someday soon too! @CorgiMommy 

Thank you for sharing your wonderful pics with us @sister13 ! I love how European cities seem to do the coziest holiday markets and your photos really reflect this! What was your favorite part of this trip?! 

Thanks @Sunnysmom - these pics are not great partly because I seem to be missing most of them entirely , but also because I was working all day every day so only got out a few hours at night until my last day after the conference. I wish I’d stayed longer but I had some commitments ar home after this one. 

Anyway, my favorite part was definitely eating Käsespätzle and drinking Glühwein and talking to people at the markets. I like to practice my German whenever I can, so I just talk to random strangers whenever I have the chance and standing at the tall tables outside the food stalls and asking questions of the vendors was a perfect opportunity for that! 

And just browsing the markets, it’s really lovely and we had a little bit of flurries so it really was a winter wonderland. The decorations among all the old buildings are really wonderful too! 

And I can’t sing the praises of my slouchy hat enough. It’s so cute and tall enough that I can fit it over a bun and also pull it all the way down over my ears for full warmth! @Sunnysmom 

It all sounds great @sister13 and your pics are so fun! Great memories ! 

Thanks @sister13 for posting your pics and your recommendations. I had to cancel our December trip to Prague, Budapest and Vienna because my husband had to get heart Ablation and then a pacemaker so I wanted to keep us close to the U.S. this first year but hopefully in the next few years we can make that trip. I started us cruising this year to be able to travel but to keep us close ( I'm a worry wart when it comes to his health ) 

Ahhhh, oh my goodness, well that Is totally understandable. I am sending good vibes for his procedure! It’s hard when you are worrying about your loved ones and you definitely want to put his health first. I hope that you all have a super calm and uneventful holiday season and that you are able to go another time. It’s always hard to decide on trips when there are so many great places and you want to get to new places but also go back to places you live!!  @Luvstravel 

374 Replies
Photos205
  • Beautiful sunset!
  • Iconic scene along Mariahilfstraße on the River Inn.
  • Mermaid Tails and Fins! Whole racks of them!
  • D3C937C6-07DE-4133-A427-6BF4A1AE802C.jpeg
  • More mermaid-y stuff!
  • Lovely shop Grüne Erde, with Natural Beauty and housewares.
  • Lovely skincare and cosmetics section.
  • The whole place was lovely, I especially loved the bulk herbs at the cashwrap! Sehr schön!
  • Bought a makeup remover and gentle balm cleanser, got samples and a free lavender sachet.
  • 6E5695B7-DF6D-44FC-9742-DF648E454E09.jpeg
  • This Weigano Perfumerie and Kosmetik surprised me. Tiny store front but a long narrow store inside packed floor to ceiling with prestige fragrance, cosmetics and skincare. I could have spent hours here. They had a wonderful German perfumer featured Lengling, and I’m hoarding some samples until I get back to Germany/Austria next time.
  • Weigano.
  • Weigano, the store went back like 3x this length. Heaven!
  • Nägele & Strubell (Nails & Brushes) is another high end Austrian shop/chain. They carried Annick Goutal, and some Middle Eastern fragrances that were new to me. Lots of variety.
  • Oh Canada!
testing