Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential

Pan It! - 2021 Challenge ๐Ÿ†

Welcome to the 2021 Pan It Challenge !!

HUGE round of applause for the 2020 Panners ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ Despite an incredibly hectic year I couldn't be more proud of each and every one of you who spent even a second thinking about your projects.  It was a huge inspiration for me and I'm sure others as well.  Cannot wait to see your new projects and whatever this year has in store for us!

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you arenโ€™t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, Iโ€™m certain youโ€™ll see some changes ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades youโ€™re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of othersโ€™ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Donโ€™t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  Itโ€™s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be funโ€ฆ.if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you donโ€™t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

.... and for good measure, 

ElleElleG_1-1609468536494.jpeg

Re: Pan It! - 2021 Challenge ๐Ÿ†

2021 Finale 

IMG_20220101_151328.jpg

A Look Back 

Spoiler
January 2021 
IMG_20220101_151947.jpg

Q1 Update

IMG_20210418_084801.jpg

Q2 Update 

IMG_20210808_202706.jpg

Q3 Update

IMG_20211003_020615.jpg

Goals: Were They Met? 

1. 3 Foundations Finished โœ…โœ…โŽ

-I finished the Peter Thomas Roth Max Mineral Naked Lotion 1.7 oz/ 50 mL in the beginning of Q4 and could have finished it sooner if I hadn't been kinda rationing it. I really like this, but there's a lot more skin tints on the market that I'd love to try. 

-I just finished off the Josie Maran Vibrancy Argan Oil Foundation Fluid Euphoric RG20 on December 31. I felt like the whole year I was using it, I was close to finishing it off and it's lasted so long. The bottle isn't my favorite packaging wise, but I love the formula. It was recommended by a Sephora sales associate for medium coverage for my dry skin in a dry, dry climate. I like an oil foundation but there's a lot to try and the shade range could be improved. 

-I decluttered the Becca foundation in Q2/Q3. I really tried to make it work, but it was too thick and too drying, even mixing it with things. I got it in a Boxy sale so I feel like I got the usage out it. 

2. 6 Lippies Finished โœ…โœ…โœ…โŽโŽโŽ 

-I finished the Smashbox Always On Longwear Matte Liquid Lipstick Maneater mini, Vasanti Power Oils Lip Gloss in Supermom and Buxom Lip Tarnish Plumping & Moisturizing Lip Stain in Caught on Tape. The Smashbox Matte lippies are a fave; I did try to get the last last bit out of this but it was a little too dry but it's empty (just not clear walls). The Vasanti gloss made me like Lip glosses; I've found I really like opaque, less sticky glosses. And the Buxom was this gorgeous shiny pink lippie but it's discontinued, so I'm glad I used it (I don't know where I put the nub, so sorry there's no picture). 

20220101_141335~2.jpg

-Decluttered (Q4) the red Buxom crayon because it had that crayon smell and wasn't spreading well. I had used about half of it, so I'm not heartbroken. 

-Got a fair amoung of usage on the beige Buxom lip crayon and a bit on the pink one but didn't finish. I'm going to double down and rope them into my 2022 project, really using them as liners or base coats. I think I was trying to use too many different lippies at once to pan the harder ones. 

3. 2 Cream Eye Shadows Finished โœ…โŽ

-Finished (?) mostly the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Shadow Rose Gold Intense mini. There was A LOT of product in the tube which I kinda hate. 

20220101_141517~2.jpg

-Have not finished the Stila Shade Mystere. I did discover the best way I like to use it as a inner corner highlight but I'm doubling down on finishing this up in 2022. 

4. Cheek Products (2 pans/1finish) โœ…โœ…โœ… 

Saved the best for last!! 

-I finished off the Laritzy Dew Pot and had really been enjoying it. It just was such a nice warm glow. I'm glad it's finished as I have SO many other highlighters. 

-I hit pan mid way through the year on the mini Lise Watier Havana Bronzing Powder Havana. still haven't finished it but that pan is growing. This is rolling into my 2022 to finish. 

-And just hit pan (finally!) in the Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush 07 Drama Cla$$!! 

I hit my goals in 9/14 of my items (64%; although I feel good about the progress in my decluttered items which puts it closer to 79%). I really learned a lot about usage and how long it takes to go through some things, especially as most of these were used (although some barely). Overall I feel good about my progress in each of my items and am impressed with my sticking to it. My project pan items are the ones that live on my vanity while the rest of my makeup is stored, which helps me focus on them, but I felt like I was making enough progress that I could bring in more fun things throughout the year. 

Thank you for the thread and support and I look forward to another year of panning in 2022. 

Excellent work!! Persistence pays off @haleyvvvv 

Thank you, @lmaster!! 

@haleyvvvv Great job! It is eye opening how long some products can last!

Thank you, @Mellmars1185!! And yeah, it's a little mind blowing how long it takes to go through some items!! 

@haleyvvvv Amazing job, such an inspiration for my first project pan year (2022).

Thank you, @QueenMarceline!! That's super kind of you!! I'm excited to see your 2022 progress!!

This is some serious panning @haleyvvvv! You did an amazing job! ๐Ÿ˜

I'm glad you mentioned keeping your project pan items on your vanity. I have more makeup products for my project pan this year and have been trying to figure out how best to keep them top of mind. I may have to rearrange my vanity set up. Hmmm... ๐Ÿค—

@itsfi -- I keep all my makeup panning items in a box along with a note pad for progress marks, etc., and take that box in with me whenever I do or refresh my makeup. Not elegant unless you use a NICE box, though, and not a method that will work for everyone. 

@heavyhedon, that's a great method. What is most important is that it works for you! I have most of my products on tables or shelves and others are in a small shopping bag that sit close to those items, but I should look into moving them to a box like you. 

Thank you, @itsfi!! 

I feel like it really helps to have the items I'm trying to use up front and center. Otherwise I slightly panic at how many items I have. 

Agree @haleyvvvv! The adage "out of sight, out of mind" is true for me when it comes to panning. I do better as well when I have them within easy reach, in my line of sight, though I'm hoping to rotate more of my other products with my pan products for more variety. We'll see which products that will work better for; at the moment, I've been keeping most of my pan products in places where I will use them. 

Amazing! @haleyvvvv -- three foundations, so many lippies, I can't even imagine going through 2 cream eyeshadows-- and all that lovely pan in your cheek products. 

Thank you, @heavyhedon!! 

@haleyvvvv great job! Iโ€™m impressed by the 2 foundations and blush pan! Your progress was amazing in 2021 amazing work! 

Thank you, @BluePaisley!! ๐Ÿฅฐ  I was very happy with the blush pan (a little surprised it happened, it felt like it was lasting forever)!! These foundations were mostly the only things I was reaching for, for most of the year, so I'm much less surprised but also I like understanding now og how long it takes me to go through one. 

Woah this is so awesome @haleyvvvv ๐Ÿ‘ everyone is so inspiring. I will try better in 2022 ๐Ÿ˜

Thank you, @blackkitty2014!! ๐Ÿฅฐ I feel like you did a great job this year and panned some cheek products very early on which was very inspiring!! You got this!!  

Final update on my ABH MR palette. Iโ€™ll hold off on the full recap since I shared a lot of early photos in my October update. Hereโ€™s October and hereโ€™s where I am now:

6840E692-F9D4-44AB-9FB2-6A3C96CE0D56.jpeg

โ€ƒ

09CD9C82-04EC-45E3-BF80-A589D02DB728.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Happy to be moving on from this palette. Iโ€™d planned to toss it after I took my last photos but I may use it with my โ€˜22 project for a bitโ€ฆ. More on that in the new thread ๐Ÿ˜‰

@ElleElleG great job!! I didn't even realize I picked the same palette ๐Ÿคฃ

Conversation Stats
Photos276
  • ElleElleG_1-1609468536494.jpeg
  • Lip Masks.jpg
  • Lip Balms Start.jpg
  • Lip Balms 2 Start.jpg
  • Lotions 2.jpg
  • Lotions 4.jpg
  • Lotions 3.jpg
  • Lotions 1.jpg