Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Organizing Tips please!

Help! How do you organize everything? I’ve found some Pinterest tips and got a small vanity and decorative shelves. But trying to decide what’s the best route. Should I organize lips by color family, brand, type? What do you find most effect for using your products. And also to save time when getting ready. This shelf is a smaller version of what I have for makeup to give an idea. These are my oils. I want my beauty products to be organized equally as well.

Re: Organizing Tips please!

I don’t like clutter or at least seeing it. Each type of product has a beauty case or bag and then under the sink it goes. Not super organized but I don’t have to see it then. 

RE: Organizing Tips please!

I pretty much just use acrylic organizers, and big drawers for most of my makeup but for my palettes (or the ones I want to display anyway) I use letter holders from Home Sense- and if you’ve never heard of it, it’s the Canadian version of Home Goods (owned by the same company along with Marshalls, Winners (also Canadian), TJMaxx, and TKMaxx(Europe). They’re so cute and hold quite a bit! And they’re cheap! I really like them! The first picture is them side by side when I first got them, and the second is from a few weeks ago. Both pics from my IG @ samsmakeupaddiction💋

Re: RE: Organizing Tips please!

Hi @samkeaysxo,

I love this idea! The holders are so cute. Thank you for sharing.

Best,
Rebecca 

@samkeaysxo I love the idea for the letter holders for palettes!  I’m going to look for some next time I’m at Home Goods

Arrangement of anything (makeup, books, food ingredients, music, jewelry, clothing, etc.) is such a personal preference... it depends on how your brain just naturally categorizes and looks for things. 

I usually group makeup by face area or task, then sometimes by color or brand. I also try to place things I wear most often within quick and easy reach. 

Example: Lipstick is the largest part of my makeup collection. I divide it by liquid vs. solid. Solids—the majority of my hoard—are normally stored in vertical countertop holders, where they’re arranged only by color family. Right now they’re scattered about because I’m decluttering and transferring them to a different type of vertical holder (my current ones are starting to drive me a bit nuts), so things are kind of a mess at the moment. 

All the liquids are in a drawer, where they’re arranged by finish (matte vs. gloss), then brand, then color. Empty spaces = decluttered (or “in declutter limbo”) liquid lipsticks. I’m trying not to immediately refill all those spaces. 😄 

Gee, can you guess what my favorite liquids are?Gee, can you guess what my favorite liquids are?

More examples: 

Spoiler

I’ve been downsizing and rearranging all my makeup this year, moving more things up onto the wall to free up counter space. Here’s the wall as of today: 

I’m about to replace the towel (used to wipe brushes clean) with some eyeliners, so I can split those across 2 bins.I’m about to replace the towel (used to wipe brushes clean) with some eyeliners, so I can split those across 2 bins.

I keep eyeshadows in 2 places. My 2 biggest palettes are in a wall bin, and they happen to be by the same brand as a 3rd smaller palette that I group with them. My Viseart and customized MUFE palettes, plus all my other single shadows, are in a set of countertop drawers mostly reserved for eye-related stuff. I keep the Viseart matte palettes together in a drawer. One of the smaller drawers holds all my mascaras, which aren’t further arranged in any way. The bottom drawer—what I call “the cheek drawer”—holds blushes and bronzer. Since most of my blushes are NARS, brand grouping kinda happens on its own. The most used colors are at the front of that drawer. 

The brush book is really an art pencil book I bought from an art supply store. I use it to travel with brushes. (I have a thicker one that holds my art pencils.) All my eyeshadow brushes are in the kitty holder.The brush book is really an art pencil book I bought from an art supply store. I use it to travel with brushes. (I have a thicker one that holds my art pencils.) All my eyeshadow brushes are in the kitty holder.Why yes, I do arrange my entire vanity around this fish.Why yes, I do arrange my entire vanity around this fish.

@WinglessOne Your organized collection is awesome.  Just had to jump in to say that.

Thanks @sprocketta

@WinglessOne I’m furiously taking notes! I love your organization. And your ideas on sorting by where the makeup is used. 

Thanks, and glad I could help, @Feebee1115! Funny: my master bath and kitchen are the only truly organized areas of my home. If only my home office area could be that organized. 😄

@Feebee1115 It really is up to you on how you want to group everything.  For me I like to group similar items together and brands.  A lot of the storage pieces I have are from Amazon or Target.  The acrylic organizer is from Ebay which I bought 9 years ago.  The brush holder is from Cosmocube. My drawers are the IKEA Alex.

RE: Organizing Tips please!

Hi @SportyGirly125,

What a beautiful setup! This inspires me to organize my collection. Thank you for sharing!

Best,

Rebecca 

@SportyGirly125 love this! I really feel like I would use my products more if they were organized better. I love that divider you have for bronzer/blushes? The compacts. I’m gpinh to look for one. Thank you so much 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 28 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos14
  • Gee, can you guess what my favorite liquids are?
  • The brush book is really an art pencil book I bought from an art supply store. I use it to travel with brushes. (I have a thicker one that holds my art pencils.) All my eyeshadow brushes are in the kitty holder.
  • Why yes, I do arrange my entire vanity around this fish.
  • I’m about to replace the towel (used to wipe brushes clean) with some eyeliners, so I can split those across 2 bins.
testing