Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: November 2023

The month is (mostly) over, so post all about your beauty misses here.  And if you had some Black Friday flops, don't forget to post those as well!

fall-ingredients-mag-fl22-2-2.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses: November 2023

I feel like I tried quite a few new products this month, courtesy of all the sales and hauls. Luckily, only a few notable misses this month, although I’ll play around and see if I can make them work.

• By Rosie Jane Dulce Travel Spray .25 oz / 7.5 mL eau de parfum travel spray - on paper, this is everything I could want. I was influenced off social media, but I’m just not getting all the notes people are describing. I don’t hate it, but it really isn’t what I expected. I’m layering it with other perfumes in my collection to see if I can make a winning combo because it’s nice and lasts long on clothing and in hair 
  • SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Solid Deodorants (coconut). I love and will continue to rebuy the Aloe formulation forever, but I think I may have had a reaction to the coconut version. I occasionally get reactions to aluminum free deodorant if I use them too long (I rotate out ones that have baking soda or sodium derivatives), so I’m not sure if it’s that or the coconut specifically. Once the irritation subsides, I’ll try it again
  • Bath and Body Works Creamy Body Scrub (Fall in Bloom) - scent is great and long lasting, but only did a meh job as a body scrub. Not terrible by any means, but my skin is dry and I need something that packs more punch. The cream formulation also fully dissolved in my hands upon coming into contact with any water at all, so I had to use a ton. Minus additional points because it made my shower/tub SO slippery, like dangerously slippery!

A miss for me was Trader Joe's Hot Chocolate Whipped Body Scrub.  The scent was fun but the product didn't spread easily on my skin.  It just sort of clumps off.

It was a miss for me too @CorgiMommy. I loved the scent but it was so clumpy and didn’t scrub at all.

IMG_20231120_195413756.jpg

IMG_20231121_185924374.jpg

IMG_20231121_185918559.jpg

These are big nos!

The farmacy balm, I do not like the scent and the formula seems off, I'll still get through it, thank goodness it's a small one 

The too faced cocoa kiss just smells terrible!! 

I don’t mind the scent of the Too Faced Hangover Pillow Balm Ultra Hydrating Lip Balm Cocoa Kiss @lmaster . The only miss from that line was last year’s limited edition version which reminded me of cough syrup. After that I didn’t purchase any additional scents. My favorite scent is the banana kiss.

I bet the banana version would smell delicious!! @Loretta55 

That is the best of the entire series @lmaster. I highly recommend trying it whenever you get a chance.

@Loretta55 I think that's the one I actually wanted, but I was in store and smelled the sample, but they were sold out

*Sigh* I really like the Tatcha The Kissu Lip Mask and I had one of the limited edition colors from a previous year--the one in Red Camellia--in my backup bin so when I finished off another night lip treatment I decided to finally use it.  Sadly, I really don't like this one.  Not only does it actually feel a little different (it's not as hydrating somehow?) but the red coloring is NOT it for me; one wrong move during the night and it stains my sheets so now I have weird little red lip marks on some of my bedding.

Screenshot 2023-11-23 173149.jpg

My miss this month is the Ulta Collection Brush and sponge cleanser. The scent was bad, it did not clean very well, and it left a film that took forever to wash off of my brushes.

@faeriegirlOh, thank you.  I was so close to buying it but decided against it and now I'm glad I didn't do it.

@CookieGirl1  I’m so glad you didn’t get it! 

I just returned to work after my injury @greeneyedgirl107 so I have not been wearing makeup but it gave me a chance to really play with skincare. I have been using masks so my skin is looking radiant. Anyway thanks to @CookieGirl1 posting about the Dove Holiday Treats body wash, I ordered all 3 scents from Walmart. The Sugar Cookie scent reminds me of just straight up soap, scentless. I guess that is my only miss.

@Loretta55 are you doing OK?  I'm so sorry, I didn't know about your injury 😮.

I tripped on uneven sidewalk on September 1 @CookieGirl1 while walking my dog . My upper body was bruised and I broke my right pinky. I had surgery and had to wear a heavy cast on my dominant hand. I have an excellent therapist who has really helped me. I was told that it may take a year until I am fully healed.

@Loretta55 oh gosh, that's awful!

@Loretta55 sugar cookie did sound promising.   I'm sorry to learn of your injury.   How is the transition back to work?

Unfortunately I have to stand all day at work which doesn’t help @greeneyedgirl107. I have arthritis in both of my knees and my hips. Everyone has been willing to help if I ask. My therapist has given me exercises that have helped.

@Loretta55 oh goodness!  That's great that your colleagues are so kind.  Try to hang in there.   💕 💞 ♥️ 

I actually had a few misses, but I can't remember them all right now.  I worked all day, and tomorrow will be a bear as well.  My husband has to go into the office too, and now I'm thinking we should've just nixed the turkey idea and gone with lobster bisque from Trader Joe's and a French baguette.  But I digress.

Target was out of my usual Aveeno knock-off body wash, so I finally tried their St. Ives knock off with shea butter and oatmeal.  It was rather floral, and too much for me.  Plus, I found it kind of stripping.

I also bought SEPHORA COLLECTION Sephora Colorful® Waterproof Eyeshadow & Eyeliner Multi-Stick 10 Grey Shimmer .  The Sand Shimmer was too peachy for my taste.  However, it was good for a quick brow highlight.  I just wish the color were more neutral.  The Fawn Shimmer was too lavender frosty for me.  To be fair, I think I loaded it on way too much.  But I bought Bobbi Brown eyeshadow sticks (need to do a hauls post on those!), and I think they are a better match for me...but so far I only test drove in store.

As a side note, I wasn't impressed with the colors of the Hourglass shadow sticks.  I was also underwhelmed by Laura Mercier, but I didn't pay enough attention.  I'm almost relieved, b/c I was getting stressed with so many choices.  I need to look into the LE Bobbi Brown ones, but I don't think any store by me has them.

I struck out with SEPHORA COLLECTION Ultimate Gel Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil ...I think this is the right one.  The black wouldn't glom onto my waterline.  The brown stuck on too well!  Very challenging to get off.  And it still wore off at the corners.  It was at a deep discount, so I kept the brown.

Also struck out with Ulta's Cocoa & Marshmallow candle (or whatever it's called).  I think I posted on the hauls thread that it reminded me more of s'mores.  And it irritated my lips. I've had fragrant candles do that.

I lucked out with samples with Commodity Milk Expressive Eau de Parfum 3.4 oz / 100 mL eau de parfum spray during the sale.  I was drawn in by the MILK, as well as marshmallow.  I wish they would have stopped there.  The addition of firewood (to evoke a campfire or roasting s'mores...I can't remember what the website sd) was a deal-breaker for me.  All I could get was the firewood.  I wasn't even brave enough to try it per se.  I had a friend spray it, then I took a quick whiff.  I know firewood scents are popular, and I'm sure there's a market for it.  But I would have adored a delicate milk/marshmallow scent.  And since it's called "Milk," I think the brand was a little sneaky with the firewood.  It reminds me of when a movie studio edits as trailer to portray a movie as one thing (that people are drawn into) and then the actual movie is quite different.  If the studio knows how to make a good trailer,, why not apply that logic to the motion picture?  

Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 60 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
Photos5
  • fall-ingredients-mag-fl22-2-2.jpg
  • Screenshot 2023-11-23 173149.jpg
  • IMG_20231120_195413756.jpg
  • IMG_20231121_185924374.jpg
  • IMG_20231121_185918559.jpg
testing