Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

BIC Vernacular

One thing I love is when you found your people, and there's a language.  In BIC, we have a lingo, but what is it exactly?  Some of it is personal terms, internet speak, abbreviations, social media terms, etc.  I was just remarking with @Sunnysmom the plural of blush, and it got me thinking about what we all call different things in beauty and on the boards.

BIC - Beauty Insider Community

BT - Beauty Talk, (BIC before it was BIC), now a way to identify mods here + shout out to the old boards

Threads - Post

Tagging - Marking products or posts/usernames with '#' and '@' respectively, or use of a spoiler tag

giphy

My own vernacular here:

Blush Buffet - An assortment of blushes, typically occurs in a haul, with a purchase of 3 or more

What are some of your learned and loved linguistic lists?

Re: BIC Vernacular

OOS - out of stock.  Lately, I've been saying this as a past tense, as in "ahh, it's oosed again, should've bought it when I saw it 🤣"

Ha @danielledanielle I use this one way too often! 🤣

I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned, but apologies for repeats if someone already posted but these came to mind:

• LE - limited edition (although I can’t count how many LE items I see kicking around for a while)
  • Empties - kinda self explanatory, but referring to products you’ve completely finished 
  • Pan Project/Pan It Project - a planned group of products you’re looking to use/finish/hit pan on in a given time period 
  • Ties in to the below but Bullet - referring to a solid lipstick that is packaged in a tube with a cap. This one is so ingrained in me that I forgot people don’t necessarily make this connection. I once had a conversation with someone who thought I was talking about blenders for the first few mins…
  • Sponge - beauty blender or similar product 

maybe some differentials on lip products (it gets confusing!)

• Lipstick - Bullet
  • Lipstick - Liquid
  • Lip Oil
  • Lip Tint
  • Lip Stain
  • Lip Balm
  • Lip Butter
  • Lip Gloss
  • Lip Crayon
  • Lip Mask
  • Lip Topper

and for fragrance:

• hair mist
  • body mist/spray
  • EDT - Eau de Toilette
  • EDP - Eau de Parfum
  • perfume oil
  • EDP intense 

@cianni Yes to clarification on the lip products! Balm vs butter and maybe even mask. 

Did anyone mention sizes of products? Hopefully I’m getting this right.

From smallest to largest:

• sample/foil - enough for one try
  • trial - enough for a few tries
  • travel - 100 ml or less, small enough to bring on a plane
  • mini - anywhere from a quarter to half the amount of a full size
  • full - standard sized item
  • refill - anywhere from double to quadruple the amount of a full size but meant to be transferred into a full sized container

@JoSometimes   I think that's an excellent summary, and very useful - thanks!

@danielledanielle   I read through the thread and hope I didn't miss this one, which I just learned: pan - to use up enough of a product that you hit the pan underneath. Something I need to do more of! LOL

tmp-2923461658-1Pc3V1.jpg

@danielledanielle  - Loved your post!!

I'm definitely one of your newbies & can't wait to see all everyone has to "say"!

Thanks again! 

You're welcome and welcome to BIC @MeanMachine23 

@danielledanielle I love your term, “Blush Buffet”!! I think I may be seeing a Blush Buffet in my future!

You bring to us the funniest threads @danielledanielle !! I am learning a lot new with this one, actually.... 

Beauty can be educational and fun, so why not @Saradestin ? (Thx!)

You are the full package @danielledanielle ! 👍😊

Thank you, that's very kind @Saradestin 

Haul/order related: 

TRE = The Retail Equation. Per their own definition, TRE is "a software and analytics company headquartered in Irvine, California, USA. It is a service provider that helps retail companies detect and prevent potentially fraudulent Transactions and reduce policy abuse." But some of us know TRE simply as the reason people get banned from product returns and refunds. Sephora uses TRE. 

And I suppose "haul" should be on the list, eh? I very rarely use that word instead of "order" or "purchase" because, to me, "haul" has aways implied a large number (10+) of items purchased at once. But I realize to many folks, haul = any purchase from a retailer. And I mean, not that I've never posted a large purchase in one of the haul threads... 😄 

Interesting how we all have a slightly different definition of “haul”. I always thought it be a purchase of at least 3 items. @WinglessOne @danielledanielle @heartsmyface @Sunnysmom 

@WinglessOne  Ha, i use ‘baby haul’ for smaller purchases cause to me haul implies physically hauling in shopping bags😂

@WinglessOne, ugh the dreaded TRE.  Forgot about that one.

True about hauls.  It's definitely a part of our lingo here.  As far as the size, on some accord, I started calling certain purchases "haulettes" just because they didn't qualify as a haul in my mind.  But, then there are some pricier items that even in a single purchase, I would still refer to as a haul..I realize, that makes no sense 🤣 so I suppose in BIC the word has lost its actual meaning.

haulette - purchase of 1-3 items

Everyone has thought of so many great terms @danielledanielle ! I think “haulette” may be my favorite so far, not sure! 

@danielledanielle  Ha, with the pricier items I suppose you have to haul your coin to the store so hauling still occurred ;);)   But yeah I have mild issue with calling things ‘hauls’ if it’s less than 5 times (not a solid number) 

mini haul

baby haul 

haulette 

ha, and the mega haul usually requires two Sephora bags 😄

72 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos4
  • giphy
  • aXYnzov_460s.jpg
  • IMG_2263.jpeg
  • tmp-2923461658-1Pc3V1.jpg
testing