Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Ask François Nars a beauty question!

Your questions have been answered! Scroll down in this thread to see François' response. Thank you all for participating!

 

Want first-hand advice from NARS founder, makeup artist, and backstage visionary François Nars? The legend will be checking in to BeautyTalk after New York Fashion Week to personally address your posts. Post a question here, making sure to tag it with "askNARS". Also, don’t forget to subscribe to this post to get notified when he answers your question. (Check the “Subscriptions” box on the right side of the post page.)
 
Check back later this month to see all of his enlightening comments.

 

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

I like all the different colors that Nars offers for blush. I am not sure which one to buy. I am medium to dark brown with a slight red undertone. Any suggestion?

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

generally, soft pinks with tints of brown and tan colors naturally look good on your skintone... so some specific NARS colors are:

 

Luster
Madly
Oasis
Orgasm
Lovejoy
Dolce Vita
Douceur
and any other NARS colors that look like that, even better, for your skintone, you can use those colors for anything, besides concealer and foundation (or any other touch up products)
xoxoxo
i heart you.
maggie kate
Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


regina7747 wrote:

I like all the different colors that Nars offers for blush. I am not sure which one to buy. I am medium to dark brown with a slight red undertone. Any suggestion?


 

A great blush for a medium to dark brown skin tone (with a slight red undertone) is Taj Mahal. It looks very bright in the compact but lightly dusted on the cheek gives a beautiful finish. You can also try Torrid Blush- a warmer peachy red tone that adds a beautiful flush to darker skins.  I recommend you try all the blushes in-store.  Have fun with them!  Makeup is a great accessory!

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

I just bought the Duo Eyeshadow in Brumes (matte charcoal and blue slate sheen).  The colors are beautiful and super pigmented but I'm not sure how to wear them together.  Hoping to get some advice on how to use both colors to create a great look that's still appropriate for work.

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

Just some PURE  ideas..

 

- you could lightly pat the blue with an angle brush and pat the color onto the lid as shadow liner

- pat brown onto lid inside blue shadow liner for soft, girly touch

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

I would use a mary kay applying tip for night wear. Put the grey at the bottom and top in a v fashion wiht the blue in the middle of your eye. If you dont like it that way, the reversing the color order.

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


laurenh88 wrote:

I just bought the Duo Eyeshadow in Brumes (matte charcoal and blue slate sheen).  The colors are beautiful and super pigmented but I'm not sure how to wear them together.  Hoping to get some advice on how to use both colors to create a great look that's still appropriate for work.


 

Brumes Duo Eyeshadow is one of my favorite shades and is perfect for a modern take on a classic smokey eye.  Use the dark blue as a liner for a less-harsh but sophisticated defined eye.  The brown works wonders in the crease, adding depth and layers for a sultry eye.

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

Your runway looks are always stunning and flawless. What is your one can't-live-without/ use-on-every-model product and why?

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


melimel15 wrote:

Your runway looks are always stunning and flawless. What is your one can't-live-without/ use-on-every-model product and why?


 

Loose powder. With all of the colors and shades that NARS offers, loose powder is key in setting looks and ensuring a long-lasting, seamless appearance. We use it religiously backstage, but since it's translucent, it works for every-day as well.

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

How do you come up with the names for your products?

Tags (2)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


smokyeye wrote:

How do you come up with the names for your products?


I keep a book with me where I write down the many names that come to mind. I get inspired by just about anything: travel, film, art etc. At this point, I probably have enough shade names for the next few years.

 

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

I would like to wear a new natural looking blush but most colors that have a tint of orange or peach turn orange on my skin. Any suggestions? I have VERY OILY fair skin, blue eyes and brown & silver hair.

 

Thank you!

Tags (1)

RE. ask Francois Nars a beauty question

I have very oily eyelids and my eye makeup does not stay on.. I have tried multiple primers and they dont work. By mid morning my eye makeup has creased and diminished. Any tip that can help alleviate this issue because i really love my eye makeup.

Tags (3)

Re: RE. ask Francois Nars a beauty question

If primer does not stay on, use an oil-free concealer 1-2 shades lighter than your actual skin tone (it can even be cheap concealer, like drugstore products) and then pat that in lightly and then put your shadows on. If you put a lot more on, it really neutralizes the color, but if you just put a slight bit on to keep the color.

 

 

 

 

 

 

xoxoxoxoxoxo

i heart you.

maggie kate

Tags (1)

Re: RE. ask Francois Nars a beauty question

 


cynabon wrote:

I have very oily eyelids and my eye makeup does not stay on.. I have tried multiple primers and they dont work. By mid morning my eye makeup has creased and diminished. Any tip that can help alleviate this issue because i really love my eye makeup.


If you haven't tried our NARS Smudge-Proof Eyeshadow Base, head to the NARS section at Sephora immediately.  A tip: apply it to your hand, then apply a heavily-pigmented shadow (Like Daphne Single Eyeshadow). Let it dry for a few seconds, then spray some water on it and see if it drips. It won't run!

 

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


macuser wrote:

I would like to wear a new natural looking blush but most colors that have a tint of orange or peach turn orange on my skin. Any suggestions? I have VERY OILY fair skin, blue eyes and brown & silver hair.

 

Thank you!


One of my favorite blushes for a fair skin that brings out the "orange" is Cactus Flower Cream Blush. Use your fingers to give cheeks a soft glowing pinkish hue. If you prefer a powder blush, try using Angelika Blush. Apply with a fluffy brush, like the NARS Kabuki Yachiyo Brush to temples, gently dusting it down onto apples. It’s a vibrant pink with no orange, and the slight luminosity gives the cheeks a healthy radiant glow.

 

Tags (1)
Highlighted

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

Can you please make a shade similar to chelsea girls or belize in a velvet gloss lip pencil :-) xx     LOVE LOVE LOVE the velvet lip pencil formulation (lanolin allergy)  ... My makeup question is could you offer any advice on coordinating lipstick and blush - are there any faux pas? ...... looking forward to your new book!!!!

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


6aad0801 wrote:

Can you please make a shade similar to chelsea girls or belize in a velvet gloss lip pencil :-) xx     LOVE LOVE LOVE the velvet lip pencil formulation (lanolin allergy)  ... My makeup question is could you offer any advice on coordinating lipstick and blush - are there any faux pas? ...... looking forward to your new book!!!!


I always recommend that you forget about rules when it comes to makeup. Play around and see what works best for you.  Skintone, style and preference all play a role. But, when in doubt, a bold lip balanced with a lightly lined eye never goes out of style.

 

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

I live in Austin TX and was wondering if you had any MUA programs or training to work for your company.

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


zeusdaughter wrote:

I live in Austin TX and was wondering if you had any MUA programs or training to work for your company.


As a makeup artist, I'm very supportive of makeup artists. We offer various incentives and urge you to call NARS to find out about our makeup artists programs at 800.788.NARS.

 

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

What inspired your famous "Orgasm" line? 

P.S I love your products!

 

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


reviwer16 wrote:

What inspired your famous "Orgasm" line? 

P.S I love your products!

 


I wanted a blush that gives that fresh, healthy glow after an intimate encounter… and it looks great on all skin tones. The additional products were born from the success of the blush and the universal appeal of the shade regardless of texture.

 

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

Hey! I love your products, but I struggle with finding the right foundation for my skin. I am acne prone, and somewhere between light and medium. What do you suggest for finding my right color and formula type?

 

Thanks so much, 

Kayla

Tags (1)

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


amoonbeam wrote:

Hey! I love your products, but I struggle with finding the right foundation for my skin. I am acne prone, and somewhere between light and medium. What do you suggest for finding my right color and formula type?

 

Thanks so much, 

Kayla


Our Sheer Matte and Sheer Glow foundations are available in 20 shades, leaving you with endless possibilities to find your right match. If you visit NARS at Sephora, our artists will be happy to help you find the right finish and formula. For acne, make sure your skincare regimen is working for you.  If it’s not, try going to see a dermatologist to fix any issues.

 

Tags (1)
1 Reply
Conversation Stats