Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers

Ultimate Age Defiers

The tagline for this group My skin looks young enough,” said nobody ever is actually quite funny to me because I can say my skin does look young enough. I'm in my 40's with nice skin. People almost always think I'm in my 20's. I was at the dermatologist last month and was talking to her about anti-aging and she said the top 3 things dermatologists recommend are: sunscreen, Retin A, and Botox. Personally the things I've found that have made the most visible difference are regular chemical exfoliation and some sort of retinol/Retin A product.

What product(s) do you see having the biggest impact on your skin's aging? What's the best advice you've received?

Tags:

Re: Ultimate Age Defiers

In addition to Vitamin C and A and AHAs, moisturizing toners have made a difference in my skin.  I've been using Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence, Bioderma Hydrabio, and Pyunkan Yul toners either alternately or combined in the Korean seven skin method (though i rarely get up to seven).  It hydrates and plumps my skin, which makes it appear younger.  

Great thread!  I have pretty good skin for my age (47, yikes!) and want to keep it that way.  For most of my 20s/30s, I was addicted to Kiehl's products.  I've moved more recently to Drunk Elephant, the Framboos/Marula Oil at night and the C-Serum/B Hydration in the morning.  I added the Farmacy Green Screen for SPF30 sunscreen.  It doesn't make my eyes sting or burn, which is a big deal for me.  I'm not doing anything in the retinol area so I need to check that out.  🙂

@talinder Retin-A!  I don't hear enough about this wonderful product!

For myself it has to be - sunscreen (not just makeup with SPF but standalone sunscreen), AHA, retinol, a good Vit C, and an anti-aging serum (EL ANR).

Sunscreens. If I'm indoors I still use sunscreen because my place has huge windows that let in a lot of natural light. I stick with my Drunk Elephant physical sunscreens - I mix a little of the regular and a little of the tinted one. If I'm going outdoors, I'll slather on Dr. Jart+ Every Sun Day sunscreen (SPF50) and sometimes just wear that. It has a color corrector which makes my skin look even and I can dare to bare my skin with little to no makeup! If there's one product that someone should pick up for anti-aging, I'd say the first product should be a reliable sunscreen!

AHA. I use Drunk Elephant Framboos for my regular use (about every other day or every two days) and Sukari Babyfacial every 7-10 days depending how my skin is looking/feeling. This coupled with constant sunscreen has helped me a great deal with my PIH (scarring/marking left behind by squeezed zits).

Retinol. I use a Korean brand (Iope) which is enough for my needs. Nothing fancy.

Vitamin C. This I use for brightening and also lightening my PIH. Drunk Elephant C-Firma has been my go-to because it's not sticky once patted on/down, it doesn't sting/burn (maybe on first application but my skin is now accustomed to it), and it's easy going on my acne-prone skin. I use this ever 2-3 days.

Anti-aging serum. Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair is a mainstay in my nightly routine. I noticed since I started using it about a year ago that the fine lines along my undereye has greatly been minimized (coupled with a proper skincare routine that includes sufficient hydration and moisturization).

Retinol (prescription or OTC) and sunscreen every day! At least SPF 30 with a good PPD/PA rating.

I agree. Retinoids + Sunscreen as the GOAT for age defying. I used to be sun baby and I changed my ways in 2013 when I started a prescription retinoid. Late 20s now, I don't know if it's genetics or retinoids but I don't have any showing damage yet. Most of girlfriends have some small lines here and there... maybe it will hit me in my mid 30s but I know I haven't caused any further damage. Some nice to haves for me are niacinimide, vit C, and AHAs.

talinder wrote:

The tagline for this group My skin looks young enough,” said nobody ever is actually quite funny to me because I can say my skin does look young enough. I'm in my 40's with nice skin. People almost always think I'm in my 20's. I was at the dermatologist last month and was talking to her about anti-aging and she said the top 3 things dermatologists recommend are: sunscreen, Retin A, and Botox. Personally the things I've found that have made the most visible difference are regular chemical exfoliation and some sort of retinol/Retin A product.

What product(s) do you see having the biggest impact on your skin's aging? What's the best advice you've received?

In the past I've had luck with Retinol, however, I haven't been using it regularly lately. I've been using more natural based oils and that has been quite beneficial; Shea Butter, jojoba oil, etc. I've stepped up my Vit C game and that seems to be helping as well.  Exfoliating is probably what really has been the game changer for me. My skin loves Lactic Acid and that has certainly shown me the difference in my skin. 

I'm with you on the vitamin C. Vitamin c was my "gateway" to skincare products in my 30's. Previously my idea of skin care was making sure to wash my face every day (mostly with water since I rarely wore foundation) and trying to consistently use a moisturizer with SPF. Maybe a weekly moisture mask.

I read an article touting vitamin C as the next retinol and started adding it to my lotion and masks about 10 years ago. I saw a significant change just with that addition alone. Regular AHA use is the only other addition to my skincare routine that has shown such rapid and notable results. Anything else is cumulative and would take before/after photos to see any difference. 

I really just use retinol cream for the anti-acne benefits. I rarely broke out, but I noticed when I use it every 2 days or so it keeps pimples at bay. And since I am not really into the selfie culture, sunscreen in All The Things.

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing