Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

The Ordinary Products

Hi everyone! Im new in here. Im 30 and for the first time im trying The Ordinary products. 

Im kinda nervous cause ive heard so many good comments but so many bad comments as well. 

The cost difference between the products i usually use is huge and thats why this brand caught my attention but at the same time makes me doubt. 

Can anyone has comments about this brand?

Thanks!

Re: The Ordinary Products

I use a lot of their products. Hydrolonic Acid 2%, Niaminicide 10% and their 30% vitamin C. I just ordered Buffet and Lactic Acid 5%. I think they work fantastic and love being able to try things w/o spending a lot of money. I am on an aggressive skin care routine to correct signs of aging and frankly my skin has never looked better. 

Hi @DeniseGarcias !  As with any skincare brand, The Ordinary's products range from stellar to not-so-great. How good they are for you really depends on your skin type, any sensitivity you have to certain ingredients (and your skin's tolerance of certain active ingredients), and the skincare issues you want to address—and of course, each product's ingredients list. 

Things I use that work well for me: 

Spoiler

I have late-40s combo skin with inflammation issues. My main skincare goals are to balance my skin tone (lift large areas of hyperpigmentation), reduce surface redness and inflammation flares, keep my skin as hydrated as possible, and control oil production in my oily zone. I use products from various brands in my routine. Currently I use just 2 The Ordinary products: The Ordinary "Buffet" 1 oz/ 30 mL , a fantastic hydrating serum that contains lots of skin-strengthening peptides; and The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL , a strong rinse-off exfoliant I use only once or twice a month. (My usual exfoliants are leave-on products by Paula's Choice that I use 1-3 times a week.) I still have The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL but haven't needed to use it this year; I might use it occasionally this winter.

Some people's skin can't tolerate The Ordinary's 30% AHA peel, so that product won't work well for them. Some Buffet complaints I've seen had to do with folks expecting immediate results; peptides do most of their work behind the scenes, so the only quick result you'll likely see is a hydration boost, thanks to Buffet's hyaluronic acid (a humectant) content. Rose hip oil can feel very heavy on the skin, and some folks might not like that. 🤷‍♀️ 

Other products that look good to me based on their ingredients (but I haven't used them): 

Spoiler
The Ordinary makes some retinol serums that might be good for folks new to retinoids; Sephora doesn't carry them all, though. 

Some folks love The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque 1.7 oz/ 50 mL for exfoliation and acne. To me, it looks like a good combo of clay, charcoal, and BHA. Another good acne product could be The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL ; my skin's not a fan of azelaic acid, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible ingredient for everyone. 

I'd use The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL if I wasn't already getting lots of niacinamide from other products in my routine. 

What's nice about The Ordinary is their low pricing: if you try a product and it doesn't work out for you, at least you won't drop lots of cash i the process. 🙂

@DeniseGarcias skincare is extremely personal so honestly you'll find that all products have both a lot of positive or negative reviews. 

I think the toughest thing with the ordinary is actually figuring out which product is the right fit for you! 

Overall though I've had really good experience with the brand - it's cost effective, the formulas are pretty simple and if you just want to play around with serums it's great.

My biggest piece of advice is don't start with the 30% AHA peel if you are not used to using chemical exfoliants and make sure you have a good sunscreen. 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing