Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Are creams for dark circles worth it?

I think I’ve tried almost every brand of eye cream for under eye dark circles…I’m a little at a loss. I’ve tried many Sephora products but admittedly I’ve tried mostly brands that aren’t sold at Sephora (Skinceuticals, iSClinical, etc) that are supposed to be the “gold standard”. I really haven’t seen much change in any of the creams I’ve used. Any luck that you all have had??

Re: Are creams for dark circles worth it?

@Ka88888  Do you know what's causing your dark circles? If they're genetic (other family members have them), then no topical skincare product will help. Your best bet there is makeup: a color corrector and/or concealer. 

Ditto for dark circles caused by sagging/sunken skin. Example: many people, like me, have sunken tear troughs. The "dark circles" there are really just shadows. Hydrating and moisturizing the heck outta that skin can plump it a bit, but not nearly enough to stop those shadows from appearing. Strategically placed concealer can create an optical illusion that makes the sunken skin look raised and bounces light off the shadows. Wayne Goss has a good tutorial video on YouTube for that. You can also see a board certified dermatologist or your primary care doctor about injectable fillers that'll lift that sunken skin. Note that some docs don't like to do filler under the eye because of potential complications. 

Dark circles can also be caused by allergies and frequent eye rubbing, lack of sleep, and UV damage. For UV damage, you'll want something that can reverse hyperpigmentation that's safe to use on your undereye skin; a low-strength retinol product, for instance. Lack of sleep is a behavioral fix (says the chronic insomniac); on mornings after sleepless nights, a caffeinated eye product and/or chilled eye patches (or a chilled—but not ice cold—stainless steel object, like a spoon) can help reduce puffiness and darkness. For allergies, an antihistamine med should help. 

Re: Are creams for dark circles worth it?

@Ka88888 Unfortunately, most dermatologists seem to agree that dark undereye circles are primarily hereditary and therefore there isn't much that you can truly do to permanently "fix" them.  You might try using a color corrector to at least help camouflage the appearance but trying to use an expensive eye cream probably isn't ultimately going to be much help.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing