Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

whiteheads

i’ve had whiteheads on my chin for years and nothing i do gets rid of them, they’ll pop and then the next day there will be like 5 new ones. they’re literally ALWAYS on my face and it’s so annyoing. i use the cerave salicylic acid cleanser, the ordinary niacinamide serum and the lactic acid serum as well as the cerave moisturizing cream. any recommendations??

Tags:

Re: whiteheads

@Steveypf  CeraVe makes 2 salicylic acid cleansers. Do you use the fairly new Acne Control Cleanser (2% salicylic acid), or the older Renewing SA Cleanser? Also, do you let the cleanser sit on your face for a couple minutes (after lathering) before rinsing it off? This gives the BHA time to do its job. 

If BHA’s not helping your acne, consider one of these: 

Benzoyl peroxide - better than BHA at reducing acne-causing bacteria. It can be irritating, though. 
Spoiler
To reduce irritation, consider a benzoyl peroxide wash like CeraVe Acne Foaming Cream Cleanser (4% benzoyl peroxide) or PanOxyl 4% face wash. Lather it onto your skin, let it sit for a couple minutes, and then rinse it off. You might want to alternate it with another cleanser a few times a week, especially if you notice it’s irritating your skin. Oh, and benzoyl peroxide stains fabrics, so just be aware of that if you normally use a washcloth or some other cloth/towel to wet-wipe cleanser off your face.

If your skin tolerates this ingredient, there are also leave-on options like Paula's Choice CLEAR Daily Skin Clearing Treatment with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide 2.25 oz/ 67 mL . The fabric-staining warning applies here, too. 
Azelaic acid - attacks acne-causing bacteria, reduces post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH, such as dark marks left by acne), and acts as an antioxidant. 
Spoiler
You can try OTC-strength (10%) products like Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster 1 oz/ 30 mL (my personal favorite), The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL, or Facetheory Lumizela A10 Serum. Or see a board certified dermatologist or your primary care doctor for Rx-strength (15-20%) azelaic acid. 
Adapalene - a member of the vitamin A family, and currently the only retinoid FDA-approved for acne control that's available OTC. 
Spoiler
Adapalene's available at your local drugstore (in the US, anyway) as Differin Gel or La Roche-Posay Effaclar Adapalene Gel. I’ve also seen a few generic/store-brand versions. Adapalene is also available in Rx strength via a doctor. 

If you try this retinoid, be sure to follow the usage instructions: introduce it slowly to your skincare routine and gradually increase usage. Don’t start off using it every night; that’s a surefire way to wreck your skin barrier. Vitamin A can be very irritating, especially if overused or misused. 
See a doctor - If the above ingredients don't seem to touch your acne after a month of consistent use (don't try using them all at the same time; pick one and stick with it for a while), then it's time to see a dermatologist or your primary care doctor to have your skin properly diagnosed. They can provide more personalized treatment options like an Rx retinoid. 

And: be sure to wear broad spectrum sunscreen that's at least SPF 30. UV damage can worsen acne. Apply sunscreen generously to ALL skin exposed to sunlight (eyelids, ears, behind ears, hairline, etc.) all year long, regardless of weather or season. Do you already use a sunscreen daily? 

Oh, and don't pop those bumps. When you say your whiteheads pop, you don't mean you manually pop them, right? That could be one reason they reappear. Resist the urge to pop them yourself. It's best to let a pro extract them if you wanna go that route. 
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing