Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

purging? broken skin barrier?

please help! i have been having huge breakouts for months. mostly on my cheeks but now my acne is everywhere from my forehead to chin. i use only a thin layer of my retinol all over my face but my skin burns when i put any skin care products on it and as you can see it the photos, my skin is super red. am i purging? is my skin barrier damaged? should i stop using the retinol? or all of the above 😕

little more info… went to my provider in december and they put me on doxycycline for three months and gave me a retinol. my acne cleared up pretty much within a month (still had a pimple here and there of course). when the three months was up from the doxy, my acne came back… i also stopped using the retinol because i thought i didn’t need it anymore since my acne was clear smh. within another month of no doxy, my acne got really bad and now i’m using the retinol again. my life has been kinda crazy with school and i can’t even remember when i started using the retinol so i don’t know if my skin is purging or... but now i’ve been suffering with massive breakouts and it’s really damaging my self esteem. i have been suffering with acne since fourth grade and i’m now 18… the only thing that has helped clear my acne was birth control and doxycycline. but on bc i gained a lot of weight and was always bloated so i stopped using it. and for the doxy, it’s only recommended to use for three months. should i go back to my provider or go to a derm? 

sorry this is so long but thank you if you took the time to read all this 🙂 

605FD9D1-DCB6-4A83-96BC-8036722C8692.jpeg

1BC49104-EB2D-4767-976E-8604DB0AEA1B.jpeg

A6D344FA-2CAA-4E00-9D68-E2619E47A6FF.jpeg

Re: purging? broken skin barrier?

I had the worst acne ever when using retinol, it never finished purging or going way.  I stay away from all retinol  type products now.  I think that benzoyl peroxide could help, not proactive though. Topical antibiotic erythromyacin.  Depending on your body maybe accutane pills.  Maybe try a different birth control pill, there are some that are low dose that help with acne.  

@oilyafskin Also, if you haven't had a new pillow in awhile throw it away and get a new one. 

@oilyafskin  If you started this with a dermatologist I would revisit with them. For a broken skin barrier I used Algenist POWER Recharging Night Pressed Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL . Expensive but totally worth it to me. For break outs I use Herbivore Mini True Blue Skin Clarifying Duo and sounds a bit strange but Curad Silver Solution gel from the drug store. Anti -microbial normally for cuts, scrapes etc but takes my pimples away. Don't over cleanse or over exfoliate. The whole face breakout happens to me when I over exert myself. So annoying and stings. BTW Retin-A / retinol tore my skin up. I steer clear of those as much as possible. 

@oilyafskin @It sounds like it might be good for you to go back to your derm. Generally, if your skin is burning when you apply products that can be a sign you have damaged your moisturizer barrier. Some people don’t tolerate retinol or active ingredient products every day and it may be better to only use them a few times a week. I found REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Overnight Recovery Balm 1.02 oz/ 30 mL helpful for restoring my skin after I did damage. 

Everyone’s skin is different, but purging tends to last about 6-8 weeks and acne generally appears in places you normally break out.  It sounds like that’s it what’s happening for you. I have found a glycolic acid like Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum much more helpful in controlling acne/evening skin than retinol - but I likely wouldn’t apply any actives until your skin is back to feeling good 

i should also mention my skin care routine

morning: (all from this korean kit i’m testing out)

bar soap->toner-> serum-> moisturizer-> sunscreen 

night:

micellar water (mainly for eye makeup)-> oil cleanser-> dr dennis gross face wash-> la roche posay cicaplast baume b5->retinol->la roche posay cicaplast baume b5 (sandwhich method to help with my peeling) 

EDA2FA60-841A-47F0-9CAE-65CFE91C8167.jpeg

I had the same skin problem. My skin barrier was really bad and on top of that I started getting patches of psoriasis. My skin also gets oily too. My skin has finally calmed down. I think the kit you’re using probably contains too many actives. I’m no professional but what worked for me was I use a cleansing oil balm if I wear makeup, gentle cleanser cerave hydrating cleanse, cosrx snail mucin essence, first aid beauty ultra moisturizer and just those 4 products helped get my skin barrier looking better. I’m now at the stage of getting rid of dark spots so I add topicals faded as my last step. When it comes to skin it’s all trial and error. I hope you find a routine that works and be good to yourself! 

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos4
  • 605FD9D1-DCB6-4A83-96BC-8036722C8692.jpeg
  • 1BC49104-EB2D-4767-976E-8604DB0AEA1B.jpeg
  • A6D344FA-2CAA-4E00-9D68-E2619E47A6FF.jpeg
  • EDA2FA60-841A-47F0-9CAE-65CFE91C8167.jpeg
testing