Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Sudden Acne

I usually have pretty good skin with occasional acne. I have oily/combination skin. I am a makeup wearer, and usually wear a pretty full face of makeup like foundation, powder, blush, highlight, eyemakeup, and lips, but I make sure to cleanse my skin. I recently turned 19 and all of a sudden I started heavily breaking out with acne all over my cheeks. I've tried Murad Complete Acne Control 30 day kit which didn't help much. And within this last week, I purchased the Tatcha Cleansing Oil and Rice Enzyme Powder Set. But I don't see much improvement. What can I do??

Re: Sudden Acne

Hi @shannathunder, did you use any new products before your acne flare-up, either skincare or makeup, that could have caused the reaction? It's my experience that sudden outbreaks of acne are typically a reaction to something, whether it's a product you're using, a new environment, a bodily change such as with hormones, etc.

Several community members have experienced breakouts from the Tatcha Cleansing Oil, so I would advise against using it for now. Also, the Enzyme Powder, and really any physical exfoliant, may cause even more inflammation, and oftentimes they can cause skin to overcompensate with oil production. 

I hadn't tried anything new before the acne flare up. I've kept my same makeup routine, and I was using the Sephora Radiance Cleansing Foam and Clean and Clear's moisturizer for months before this flare up happened. I turned 19 this month and that's around when it happened, so I assumed that it could have been a bodily change. WIth the info you gave me about Tatcha, I'm going to go return it, but what would you recommend that I purchase instead?

@shannathunder, I think you were on the right track with an oil and an exfoliant, but I would just go a gentler route. 

If you're looking specifically for a cleansing oil, Erborian's Black Cleansing Oil is gentle and contains some great skin-loving ingredients like charcoal and licorice root. 

http://www.sephora.com/black-cleansing-oil-P417301?skuId=1929090&icid2=similar%20products:p417301

As for an exfoliant, I know a lot of people have had success with the Framboos Glycolic Night Serum from the Drunk Elephant line, but I found it a bit harsh to use every night, and it's pretty expensive. The Ordinary has some affordable options, such as their Lactic Acid 5% or 10% and their Salicylic Acid 2%. I would start with the Salicylic once or twice a week just to see how your skin reacts, and always follow up with something nourishing like a face oil.

http://www.sephora.com/t-l-c-framboos-tm-glycolic-night-serum-P392246?skuId=1679307&keyword=P392246

As for a moisturizing oil, I really love marula and rosehip. The Ordinary offers both at very good prices. The rosehip especially is great for inflamed/acneic skin. Acure's marula oil is also easy to get a hold of (I believe Target sells it now), but the texture isn't as light as the one from The Ordinary. Drunk Elephant also sells marula, and it's divine, but it's also extremely pricey. 

http://www.sephora.com/virgin-marula-tm-luxury-facial-oil-P392245?skuId=1679315&keyword=P392245

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing