cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Maskne Advice Pt. 3

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad you have all been enjoying my advice on caring for your skin during this time. I have been picking up great things that help my skin as the months go by. Here is my updated routine. I am so happy to announce that my acne is now pretty much all gone now 🙌, and I am now working on eliminating leftover marks. My skin type is combination/normal, but the pandemic has shifted me to change the products I use. I continue to focus my regime on acne care since wearing personal face masks makes your skin susceptible to pimples and marks.

If you have not already, make sure to read Maskne Advice Pt. 1 andMaskne Advice Pt. 2 and follow all those tips since they are integral for preventing and treating maskne.

Here is my latest advice for everyone going through maskne and skin issues:

Cleanse

I continue to use the philosophy Purity Made Simple in the morning, but now use Glow Recipe Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser 5.41 oz/ 160 mL at night. It removes congestion and cleans my skin more thoroughly. I often leave it on for some minutes, which makes for a very effective mask or deep cleanser. To remove my eye makeup, I use CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Oil Makeup Remover 6.7 oz/ 200 mL and follow with Purity Made Simple to remove any remains with a cotton pad.

Serums

I am using The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL in the AM on my forehead only and all over my face in the PM. It helps with spots and shine. I layer with The INKEY List Tranexamic Acid Hyperpigmentation Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL on top for PM. It's new to Sephora, but has worked for me in only a few uses to remove marks on my skin. 

Sheet Masks

This is my new secret. Sheet masks have done wonders for my skin, even for acne! I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it doesn't even matter which ones you use- they can be for dry skin, but will take down redness, acne and inflammation substantially. I love the ones from Sephora Collection because they are work, are easy to use, are affordable and pack quite a lot of product (I keep the leftover serum in the fridge and use nightly until it's finished). I have bought so many, including the SEPHORA COLLECTION Face Mask Pearl, SEPHORA COLLECTION After-Sun Mask - Watermelon Watermelon and SEPHORA COLLECTION Enchanted Jungle Set.

I read many years ago that Korean women use sheet masks as a part of their nightly routine. I thought it was extreme, but after seeing the benefits, I now know why. The extra coddling actually repairs skin! Again, it may seem counter-intuitive, but it's helped my acne the most. I have not gained any breakouts on my combo skin type from using them, either. I would say once a week is good for use.

Prescription

Since my acne had developed postules, my doctor prescribed for me an Rx cream which I've used about 10 times. Since I can't use other skincare with it, I don't use it regularly but it definitely helps. If your acne is really bad and nothing helps, you probably have to reach out to your doctor. 

Primer

I use Too Faced Primed & Peachy Cooling Matte Primer – Peaches and Cream Collection 1.35 oz/ 40 mL on my cheeks and forehead to minimize oil during the day. It also has the benefit of making my powder blush last longer.

Lip Balm

Wearing lip products under your mask is a no, but your lips will get dry if you leave them au naturel. The best matte yet moisturizing lip balm I found is GUERLAIN Orchidee Imperiale Anti-Aging Eye & Lip Contour Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL. It is pricey, but it works. If price is an issue, you can try moisturizer on your lips. Any lip product that is waxy or oily will get sticky so avoid that.

Makeup

For makeup, I wear my eye makeup, and on my face only the aforementioned primer on my cheeks and forehead, powder blush and MAC Blot Powder with the lip balm. Anything else will cause breakouts.

AM Skincare

In the AM, I use 5-7 drops of SK-II Facial Treatment Essence all over my face and neck, The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL on my forehead, Murad Hydro-Dynamic® Ultimate Moisture only on my forehead and neck, and OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème. I have combo skin and removing a moisturizer and hydrating serum all over my face from my AM routine has not affected my skin's moisture level one bit due to the natural moisture being created from talking and breathing into my personal face mask.

PM Skincare

In the PM, I use the aforementioned SKII essence all over my face and neck, The Ordinary serum and The Inkey List serums all over my face, and Shiseido White Lucent MultiBright Night Cream on my face and neck and the aforementioned Banana Bright eye cream.

Facial Tools

Jade rollers, cupping tools, and gua sha help to increase circulation in your skin. It is best to use these at night. Do not use them with acids, but with oils, sleeping masks and thicker creams.

Supplements

I am drinking matcha in the AM and golden milk lattes in the PM (warm almond milk with pure turmeric powder). Both drinks decrease inflammation, which is the source of acne. Eating healthy is also very important to keeping skin clear. Resist the urge to stuff your face with junk food, with perpetuates the problem.

Stress Release

You have to chill out. Stress is ruining your skin, causing further inflammation and acne. Limit blue light, too. Try reading books for stress release instead of going on your phone for long periods of time.

Personal Face Masks

It goes without saying, but make sure to replace or wash face masks daily, and use ones that don't irritate your face. I wash my cloth masks in the washer with a fragrance-, bleach- and dye-free detergent from Whole Foods and never wear the same one two days in a row.

I recommend you to view my product reviews on my page, as they will let you know which skin care products I love.

Best wishes 💋

Re: Maskne Advice Pt. 3

@TBelanger Hi girl, here is my updated routine! Xo

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 1 Contributors
testing