Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

HELP

27 and I am new to skincare and makeup in general. Needing advice on a skincare routine. My skin is very oily most of the time and break outs happen often. Around my cheek areas it is very red and irritated. Help! Also some foundation recommendations would be cool and how do you even use concealer? Do you need to use it? And what is a setting spray? Do I need that too?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Re: HELP

Red and irritated?! I don’t see anything but beautiful skin I don’t see any irritation at all seriously unless maybe I’m not seeing the whole picture??? I just see beautiful smooth skin . I have very irritated skin I would give anything to have your skin!

Do you currently use any products, @AshBash0413 or are you starting completely from scratch?

Completely from scratch I’ve tried various Walmart brand face wash but nothing works 

@AshBash0413 Got it! So, since you're just starting out, I'd recommend getting a good basic routine down before you add in too many treatment products. That way you'll limit your change of irritation once you do start any of those. Since you're interested in wearing makeup, I'm going to start by highly recommending trying double cleansing at night. This involves using an oil-based cleaner to remove makeup and sunscreen and then following that with a gentle cream or gel cleanser. My favorite oil cleanser is Shiseido Perfect Cleansing Oil w/ Grape Seed Oil 10 oz/ 295 mL but there are lots of other good options for balms and oils. Clinique is also a popular choice. For cleanser, I'd recommend either philosophy Purity Made Simple, First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 8 oz/ 237 mL, or Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 16 oz / 473 mL. You can choose to use that cleanser just at night or in the morning as well as night. I'm just a night person myself. 

You'll also need a good moisturizer for both morning and night. Oily skin typically does well with lighter, gel types. You can use the same one for both a.m. or p.m., but a lot of people do tend to use a lighter one during the day and maybe a slightly heavier one at night- totally up to you though. There are a few options here: CosRx Oil-Free Moisturizing Lotion (my go-to for daytime wear), belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb 1.68 oz/ 50 mL (possibly the aloe vera version), Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet Mini 0.66 oz/ 20 mL, Kate Somerville Goat Milk Moisturizing Cream 1.7 oz/ 50 mL, or Benton Snail Bee High Content Steam Cream. 

And lastly, to complete a basic skincare routine you'll need sunscreen (just for a.m. use). I've had good luck with both MDSolarSciences Mineral Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 50 UVA-UVB Sunscreen 4 oz/ 113 g and COOLA Mineral Sun Silk Crème SPF 30 1.5 oz/ 44 mL. Once you have those items in place you can in additional items to help specifically target issues. Clay masks can be super helpful with controlling oil. BHA/salicylic acid is a great ingredient to target acne. And I'd highly recommend considering a snail-based serum to help with redness, healing acne, and adding hydration. 

For foundation, depending on what coverage you want, some options would be #lancome teint idole (for fuller coverage), Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 medium to deep (or the black label), or bareMinerals Original Loose Powder Mineral Foundation SPF 15 Neutral Medium 15. I recommend using a primer and/or setting powder with whatever you choose to help with evenness and length of wear. Concealer is really up to you. Some people love it, some people find it unnecessary. Setting spray is an alternative to, or can be used in conjunction with, setting powder to help with the wear time of your foundation. 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos2
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
testing