Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Am I Over-exfoliating?

I have acne prone but dry dry skin but using chemical exfoliators have been keeping my acne minimal and helping to reduce my scarring. Lately, especially since I’m in cold and dry Canada, my skin has been stinging every time I apply most products, especially hydrating products like my moisturizer. Would I be over exfoliating my skin and causing this sensitivity? I use Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner 5.07 oz/ 150 mL every night, Biossance Squalane + 10% Lactic Acid Resurfacing Serum 1.01 oz / 30 mL about 4 times a week, The Ordinary Retinol 1% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL once a week, and Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel Pads once a week. Is this too much??? My skin hasnt been flaky at all but slightly more red. If I am over exfoliating, how do I keep my acne at bay without irritating my skin? 

Re: Am I Over-exfoliating?

You might be, @marissakayleen. That would certainly be too much for my skin. I don't even love layering an AHA/PHA with a BHA. But everyone's skin is different!

How long have you been doing this routine for? If it has been a while and you're just now getting redness, it could be something else in your routine (check if you added anything new and if they have any exfoliators or other actives). If it's been a few weeks, I'd stop and slowly put things back into your routine, one thing added every two weeks and make sure to alternate nights used.  You could also maybe switch the watermelon toner to the morning, that way you won't be layer another exfoliating product on top? Or find a toner without PHA (I find PHA is like a gentler AHA, so it could be redundant to have both). 

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing