Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Accutane

I am about to start taking Accutane and im wondering what products people have used to help with the dryness of lips and skin who have taken this medication! any tips you can recommend will be much appreciated! Did you have to change your skin routine when taking the medication to more hydrating lotions and cleaners? 

Thanks Laura 

Re: Accutane

Hi, @MissFlor. I answered a similar question last week, so I'm just going to copy + paste my reply here. 

It's been a while since I've been on Accutane, but I do remember how bad my lips were. I'd recommend picking up Dr. Dan's CortiBalm. It's the only thing that saved my severely chapped lips. Plus, this lip balm is what my derm recommended at the time.

Dr. Dan's CortiBalm - Tube

Hopefully, more people will chime in with moisturizer suggestions. Asking your dermatologist for product recommendations would be a good idea, too.

I'd also recommend using the search bar at the top of the homepage. This forum has been around for a while and I guarantee you that this type of question has been asked before. You'll probably find a lot of good product suggestions in existing threads.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for the suggestion i will definitely will try it. 🙂

I was on Accutane as well.  Worked amazingly and only side effect I had was extreme dryness.  I really struggled with dealing with the constant peeling and flakiness.  My lips were the most dry by far, they split about 3 times. 

I highly recommend the laneige lip mask (I use it all day, doesn't have to be overnight).  I was recommended the bite beauty agave lip mask but did not like it.  While it is great, it was too thick and hard to spread around when my lips were painful.  I know some say you cannot wear lipstick while on Accutane but I did and it was fine.  For nights and some days I used the Avene soothing moisture cream.  My pharmacist gave me a sample and I NEEDED this the whole time.  It was very emollient and good for sensitive and flaky skin.  I also like the First Aid Beauty Coconut Skin Smoothie Moisturizing Primer as a moisturizer/primer in the day.  It really helps the look of skin under makeup.  I also wore the Tarte sunscreen as a moisturizer and to help protect my skin from sun exposure.  I used exfoliates for the flaking but be careful of ingredients like AHA's which are too harsh while also on Accutane.  I would check out emollient foundations like the IT Cosmetics CC+ cream or Loreal Pro Glow. 

Good luck! I hope you see good results.

Hi, Thanks for all the suggestions. I currently use the sleep mask by laneige and really like it so i will definitely will try the lip mask as the sleep one has done wonders for my skin so far. I currently use the bite beauty but it is thick so im guessing when the the skin is cracking it wont be so nice to put on. The it cosmetics cc cream is great and what i currently use so im hoping that its going to keep being good once i start. Really appreciate you spending the time to write me these suggestions. Will defo try them. 

Anonymous Insider

I haven't needed to really change anything for skin for this but for lips mine were always super cracked and peeling no matter what balms I used. I ended up finding Bite Beauty's Agave Lip Scrub which works great at taking off peeling skin without leaving lips dry. For the rest of my face I did end up adding a Skin INC serum which you can customize and combine up to 3 different serums into 1 for your specific needs. I also use Glamglow's Waterburst Hydrated Glow Moisturizer. It is lightweight so it doesn't wreck makeup application in the morning when you're in a rush and it smells absolutely amazing.

Thanks for the recommendations!  im hoping im the same and dont have to change too many things as i would like to keep sticking with my routine so that my skin isnt having too many new things added at once. I love the glam glow line so i will try that. I can see from the replies that the lips seem to be the biggest issue with accutane so i am defo going to try the scrub! thanks again 🙂 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing