Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

Exfoliators for oily skin

Wondering if anyone had opinions on exfoliators out there. There are so many products I never know which one to try first. Been debating between a product from sephora or from lush. Thanks guys!

Im oily/combination skin. My routine includes, two masks, serum, moisturizer, cleanser and toner. 

Re: Exfoliators for oily skin

I believe in mechanical exfoliation paired with chemical exfoliation.  For mechanical, I like Philosophy's Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash; it has ground up seashells in it.  I don't use it as a cleanser, though.  Rec using on damp skin for best results, then regular liquid cleanser to follow up.

For chemical exfoliation I like BHA.  Paula's Choice has 1-2%, but I prefer the 9%.  

Although not technically an exfoliator, Tretinoin (generic for Retin-A) helps control oil.

I am more of a minimalist when it comes to skin care since I don't really like to mess with it too much. I rely more on treatments than skin products.

If you want to remove grime and skin then try face shaving.  You can use something like this. Love!

http://www.sephora.com/level-setter-razors-P405529?skuId=1778398&icid2=products%20grid:p405529&om_mm...

If you want to remove some skin flakes then try baking soda mixed into a paste with water.  I also like to treat the problem area not the entire face. Amore Pacific has an Enzyme Peel that works like the baking soda paste.

http://www.sephora.com/treatment-enzyme-peel-P232931?skuId=1161694&icid2=products%20grid:p232931

Hi @KaylaLascelle,

I also have oily skin and use a exfoliator at least 2-3 times a week. I really loved Laura Mercier's Flawless Skin Face Polish. It gives your skin a smooth finish and is not to harsh on the skin. 

I also really enjoyed the Kate Somerville ExfoliKate® Intensive Exfoliating Treatment. I only use this once a week and will even out your skin tone in just one use. 

I hope this helps! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

I used to love LM's Face Polish - until discovered it contains microbeads! Yikes! (And it STILL does - they'd better get on that...)

It took me forever to find something to replace it, but I finally found and fell in love with Lancer Polish. 

http://www.sephora.com/the-method-polish-P399737?skuId=1747773&icid2=products%20grid:p399737

Alas, it is almost twice the price. That part I hate. But it works really well - and no microbeads.

Hi, @KaylaLascelle - I used to have very oily skin, now I have combo/oily skin.  Here are a few that I like and think they can be used for oily skin (in alphabetical order):

- Algenist Multi-perfecting Detoxifying Exfoliator (currently using)

- Clinique 7 Day Scrub (my first and used for years)

- Fresh Soy Face Exfoliator (probably my favorite)

- Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Facial Wash (probably interchangeable with my favorite)

Based on my skin, I consider all of these gentle.

I do not recommend a scrub with nut pieces as these can actually microtear your skin.

Any of the above can be used as both an exfoliator/scrub and wash (I use as both to save a step).

The only one I did not like (I'm still testing 😉 ) was the Peter Thomas Roth Anti-aging Buffing Beads for Face and Body.  The product was hard to rinse off and I didn't feel the beads did any exfoliating at all.  However I love the PTR Anti-aging Cleansing Gel!  I've been using this cleanser for several years!

You can use either peels or bead exfoliants depending on what you like. In my opinion, not all bead exfoliants are horrible. Yes they're more harsh and more irritating, but they get the job done quickly. I would avoid cheap ones like the St. Ives apricot scrub and use ones with good ingredients. If you have larger pores and experience irritation or sensitivity, I would avoid scrubs in general. I currently use the Ole Henriksen walnut scrub and I think it's fantastic ! One of the harsher exfoliators I've used to be honest but it leaves my skin very smooth. 

As for peels, they come in the form of pads or liquid. The liquid ones literally take off your dead skin and it looks like eraser shavings come off your face. Sephora and the drugstore sell variations of peels, and I find that they are more gentle (still kind of harsh because you're still exfoliating) than scrubs. Try to pick ones with really great ingredients like acids (AHAs, BHAs, Glycolic acid, etc.) which help to brighten and renew your skin. The Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta peels are a great example, and at Ulta you can find the Mip (change the first letter to 'N', Sephora won't let me use this word) + Fab Glycolic Fix Pads.

Something I avoid like the plague are harsh exfoliators with a lot of alcohol. I used to use the clinique toning lotion 2 because it exfoliates great and is a toner, but contains way too much alcohol which is horrible for your skin. I now use alcohol free toners and my skin is a lot more calm and soft.

Hi @KaylaLascelle I would suggest to use a chemical exfoliant instead of Physical exfoliant. Beady scrubs are not good for skin in the long run.

A good starting point can be using daily peel pads at night after cleansing and before apply other skin care products.

It is good to start with a mild product and then gradually moving to the sronger one if you feel the need.

Dr Dennid Gross Ultra gentle peel for sensitive skin (If your skin is sensitive) or FAB Radiance peel pads are good biggener products and are very cost effective as compared to DDG.

Peter Thomas Roth peel pads are also great so there are many options you can choose from according to your sskin type and concerns.

Later on the road you can introduce a little stronger weekly treatment but for start daily peel pads are great.

I am not very familier with LUSH skin care. Hopefully an other fellow BTer who has used Lush products can come over and provide comparison.

Do you want a physical or chemical exfoliant? What kind of skin do you have?

I have oily/combination skin.

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing