hackneyfl

NO-BUY CHALLENGE 2014!

[ Edited ]

Who is with me?!

The unofficial rules are as follows …

Spoiler
  • Commit to a no-buy for a period of time that works for you.
  • Do not get swayed by cute promos.
  • No searching on 'Sephora Favorites'
  • No clicking on the 'Just Arrived' link.
  • Be supportive of all members.

No-Buy Commitment Members:

Spoiler
  • eriles: On No-Buy (4/22 - 7/17th & 7/22 - 9/30) (Sun Celebration Bronzer & Clarins Lip Balm Crayon)
  • Joannimation: On No-Buy (August) (Bday Gift, Meteorites, Maison Martin Replica, D&G L'Imperatrice & Elizabeth & James Nirvana White, Sephora Sun Kit)
  • hackneyfl: On No-Buy (4/15 - 6/15 then off for 6/16 and then back on until fall sale)
  • Makeupinfinity: On No-Buy (Oct) (Bare necessities such as wipes, cleansers, sunscreen, Sun-Kit)
  • shadetertiary: On No-Buy (May 31st)
  • AlisG: On No-Buy (May 31st) (Replacements for necessary items & Nars Radiant tinted moisturizer with SPF 30)
  • almostyou: On No-Buy (5/1 - 8/31) (Necessities like cotton pads & sunscreen and break in Aug for Bday)
  • wendyomgwar: On No-Buy (5/31) (Except for the use of a GC from Clarins)
  • LariTheLoud: On No-Buy (5/31) (skincare essentials & preordered Jo Malone)
  • weeeeweeeeeee: On No-Buy (5/31) (necessities only)
  • levid:
  • IttyxBittyxMe: On No-Buy (5/31) (2 purchases a month < 50.00)
  • Zpsid91: On No-Buy (8/15)

Possible TSB list:

Spoiler
***Would like to keep this to BNIB if possible (we haven't set a start date)

hackneyfl
eriles
shadetertiary
Joannimation
AlisG (canada - but we will make it work)
LariTheLoud
Zpsid91
IttyxBittyxMe

original.jpg

eriles

Re: NO-BUY CHALLENGE 2014!

(0) Hearts

I thanked him because that was only the 3rd ever return I have made to Sephora. The last return I made before this was horrible. I didn't see what the problem was because I was also purchasing stuff so I was actually buying more than I was returning. The guy gave me such an attitude and acted like he didn't want to return my item. 

It actually made me paranoid about going in to store to return my stuff even though I had the receipt and it was brand new. Which is sad. 

Joannimation

(0) Hearts

That's awful. I hate how you have to catch them on a good day. On the flip side, I've worked retail, so I've been on the other side as well LOL. I mean, Sephora's return policy covers pretty much everything I think (I've been able to return everything I didn't want), so especially for your brand new items, they should just accept it happily in exchange for your money!

Last November, for the Friends and Family Sale, I went on a completely unplanned haul, and returned about $200 worth of stuff. Luckily, I bought it online so returned it via mail. The money didn't get back to my account until January haha. But the wait was worth it to not have to face the potential condescending looks from their SA's.

AlisG

I think that too. I'm impressed that you guys manage to walk away. I've just taking to holing myself up in my house playing video games... 

... because I don't do that anyways *cough* :smileytongue:

CuriousCannibal

[ Edited ]

Okie dokie, so....I cheated last week, the day after I joined this -.- So I don't get to buy anything in May. No makeup, no perfume, no skincare, no hair stuff....nothing. 

Actually, forget the whole once a month thing, i'm not buying anything until MAC's alluring aqua colledction, and then after that i'm going back on a no-buy for a long time. I have way too much stuff.

I have things coming from nordstrom, hautelook, and then there's the subscription boxes...that's more than enough.

Edit: but is it okay to repurchase items i've completely finished, that I don't have other versions of? Like acne/spot treatments and whatnot?

shadetertiary

I'm under the impression you make your own rules as to what's acceptable!  I think replacing empties of regular products makes sense.  For me I only use one type of powder, so if it ran out I would need another one.  But someone should shoot me if I try to buy more lipgloss or lotion, whether I use one up or not! ;-)

CuriousCannibal

(0) Hearts

haha okay, thanks! I need to replace my kate somerville spot treatment. I have a mufe eyeliner to return, so instead of putting that towards makeup i'll use it to get the KS thing.

I probably have enough shower gel and lotion to last 6 months.....or longer :'(

hackneyfl

(0) Hearts

Welcome back, please let me know if you want to be listed above and if you want to be added to the possible no-buy TSB.

CuriousCannibal

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Yes, i'd like to be listed above, and i'd like to join the tsb :smileyhappy: 
I'll be on the no buy until September 30th.

But my exceptions- mac's alluring aqua collection, replacements for HG items that I finish (skincare), and one day a month to purchase items on my wishlist (but I won't start that until July.)

hackneyfl

good-morning-6.gif

Joannimation

Good morning, hackney! :smileyvery-happy:

I'm getting a new cleanser today because the one my bf and I use has only a couple pumps left!! We only one cleanser at a time, so I consider this an essential purchase...is that okay?? I don't want people to think I'm cheating my no-buy :smileysad:

AlisG

I think if you want to replenish then do it! No one will shame you for not wanting to wash your face with just water  :smileywink: No one will think you're cheating! 

Joannimation

Thank you, AlisG! This makes me feel a whole lot better :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

Do you have any recommendations? I'm looking for something oil-free and hydrating. The Fresh soy cleanser is a bit too thick/heavy for my taste.

AlisG

Hmmmm.. I had a similar issue with the Fresh Soy face cleanser.. it felt like I was rubbing it around and it did absolutely nothing haha. 

What kind of skin do you have? 

I have combo/oily skin.. So, I was using the FAB face cleanser which seemed like a lighter whipped texture (which actually seemed to lather when I rubbed it on my face). It worked pretty well until my skin changed and decided to become breakout city lol

http://www.sephora.com/face-cleanser-P248404

Joannimation

Oh no! Haha, hope you were able to accommodate to your new skin :smileywink:

I have normal/combo skin. My T-zone isn't too oily. I used to use my Clarisonic daily, and I think that really dried out my forehead, so I'm barely using it now.

I'm going to Target today, so I will probably get something there. Any drugstore recommendations? I had the Garnier Gelee cleanser a while back and really liked it, but I want to try something new.

AlisG

(0) Hearts

I love Target! So happy that they came to Canada!

I really liked the Burt's Bees stuff that they have! But I'm sure in the States you might have more choices at Target than they do here :smileywink: I used the Soap Bark and Chamomile but it might be too intense for your skin... Maybe the Radiance Cleanser?

wendyomgwar

(0) Hearts

Okay... I think that I will have to join this bandwagon... I have made Rouge.. it's barely May last year I didn't qualify till September! I don't know how long this will go for but I need to be more strict :<

I have 2 saks orders on their way at least 2 Sephora, and 2 hautelook, it's bad!!

I will stick to my TSB!!! This way I rotate out the makeup I don't use and get other goodies in exchange!

I have a GC to clarins, so that is the only thing I can use!

I'm going to shoot for at least one month, so let's just say the end of May!

I will go from there!

hackneyfl

[ Edited ]

Hello wendyomgwar, I hit rouge in March!!!! So I too, will only be doing TSB for a while!!!! I have added you to the list. Come on in and have a seat.

eriles

Happy to report my no-buy is intact after getting one of my two allowed items at the Clarins counter today. The lady even offered to pre-sale for something and I said no way! 

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday. The sun is finally out here! And the temps are above 70! Yay! 

hackneyfl

(0) Hearts

70?!?!? Nice almost 90 today in sunny ole' FL!!

eriles

lol. Florida is way too humid for me! I enjoyed my time down there though. I can't wait to hit southern Cali this summer. 

It's going to be 80 something on Thursday I think. For western washington,  that's a big deal lol. I could actually wear shorts today!  

hackneyfl

(0) Hearts

Yes, very humid but my lips take a beating when there is none! Your body gets used to that moisture in the air! But when you walk out the door at 6:30a you get smacked in the face from the heat and humidity for sure!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 605 replies
  • 529 hearts
  • 51 in conversation
    • tehprincessjenn
    • wendyomgwar
    • waterbaby1981
    • gxlxaxm
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • dolceloure