lylysa

Everyday is Halloween!

[ Edited ]

Alright, since I'm starting to see posts about Halloween, costume shops are opening up, and stores are rolling out their Halloween displays and products, I've decided to share a bit here!

My boyfriend and I are very avid costume makers, he works at a local haunted house for the past 3 years (this will be his 4th) so he's always putting get-ups together, getting bloody, and perfecting his zombie make up (actual make up, no grease paint and cheap "Halloween" sets for him, he knew what primer was before he even met me *swoon*) and I've been in the modeling, photography, hair styling, make up, and design industry for a while so I always created my own costumes, clothing, did my own styling, plus I work events and shows where I get to be all dressed up.

This Spring we went to a local comicbook convention and decided the month of we were definitely going and that he was going to cosplay (costume play) as a Na'Vi from Avatar! I kid you not, it was a very labor intensive job, loads of prep work! His loin cloth is handmade, hand beaded, and weathered; his arm band was hand beaded and speckled; his necklace and leg ties were hand braided/woven and beaded (along with even details to speckling the beads), his knife sheath was handmade and weathered; the arrows were handmade; the feathers were handpainted and detailed; and the long bow used is an actual real long bow with a 45+ pound pull on it!

The make up was done via airbrush, with a mixture of 4 different paints. The ponytail/braid was loose weave/synthetic hair that was woven in and attached to his hair, we even added handpainted "tentacle/fibers" at the base of the ponytail as what they have in the film, nails were painted (with Butter London, no less), and he had ear and a brow prosthetic along with colored contacts (you may notice one eye white and one eye yellow, the other yellow ripped the day off, so he wore one of his white ones, makes even quirkier).

P.S. It helps that he's a whopping 6'5!!!! The height definitely got added to the fact he was cosplaying such a tall character!

The whole process took from start to finish the day of took at least 7 hours to prep, I was touching up portions in the garking garage with a plug attachment in my car before entering the convention!

He was a HUGE hit, even in the parking garage people wanted to take photos with him! It took us 25 minutes before we made it inside the building because of con-goers and fans wanting photos! We were too late for the costume contest (which was super disorganized), but he caught enough attention on his own! He was interviewed for local TV stations, made it on the local news, had video filmed for promos, played nice with a couple of adorable kids, it was great! He couldn't walk 10 feet before getting stopped for more pictures!

So here I present.....my Na'Vi boyfriend!

2012-05-26 15.42.27.jpg

2012-05-26 16.11.45.jpg

2012-05-26 17.32.39.jpg

2012-05-26 19.32.11.jpg

He even made it to the Comicpalooza front page as the opening banner image for next year's convention!

cm.jpg

I love this man! <3

lylysa

Re: Everyday is Halloween!

We know not all guys refuse to dress up, I myself have guy friends who run the range of dressing up to not dressing up at all one bit.

Either way, it's fine and never was an issue to where it go serious. Besides, it never stopped any of their friends or their girlfriends from dressing up just because they didn't want to.

antoine0000

(0) Hearts

lylysa wrote:

We know not all guys refuse to dress up, I myself have guy friends who run the range of dressing up to not dressing up at all one bit.

Either way, it's fine and never was an issue to where it go serious. Besides, it never stopped any of their friends or their girlfriends from dressing up just because they didn't want to.

No... me men can no longer order our girlfriends to do things... it seems ! hheheh

But I'll dress up with you if you'll dress up with me in any costume -- It's a dare now !

Antoine. 

beautytester

That's some amazing make up work. With the amount of work and details you guys put in, he'd better be on the front page!

Ahh, that reminds me of my hilarous guy friend. He definitely put quite a bit of work into his costume, too: he went as a giant space junk (yes, we are all big nerds). So basically he wrapped himself in black garbage bag, then used metal/wood wire/sticks to form loops on which he hang random things like waste paper, rocks, pencils, socks etc. It was quite a sight because it took 4-5 of us holding each loop/ring with dangling stuff to help him get through the door, and he was literally unable to dance because the big ring/loops would end up hitting everyone around him.

antoine0000

Men In Costume ( yes we do ! )_ NEW

(0) Hearts

beautytester wrote:

That's some amazing make up work. With the amount of work and details you guys put in, he'd better be on the front page!

Hey wait till you see a photo of mine.... I don't know how to put them in the messages , can someone teach me pleasee ???

Antoine

lylysa

Re: Men In Costume ( yes we do ! )_ NEW

(0) Hearts

When you respond there's a icon of a tree image right inbetween a film strip and smiley face, that's how you upload images.

lylysa

Thanks so much, beautytester!

The space junk idea is funny! I like costumes that are unconventional, they def hold a soft spot as costumes that aren't the norm tend to come from folks that aren't afraid to go outside of the box. :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

[ Edited ]
Wow, what an awesome job! I hope it was a warm day that day, it looks like that costume could be mighty drafty!

You two are so special, my hubby barely gets into Halloween at all, I usually only get to dress up the dog and nothing elaborate for him, he tends to eat his costume.
dianabt

prettyinpa wrote:
You two are so special, my hubby barely gets into Halloween at all, I usually only get to dress up the dog and nothing elaborate for him, he tends to eat his costume.

This really made me LOL just now! hahahhaah, unfortunately for me too, I always have the boyfriends that don't like Halloween costumes! And my poor dogs always get the brunt of my Halloween excitement too! :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
antoine0000

Men In Costume ( yes we do ! )_

(0) Hearts

dianabt wrote:

This really made me LOL just now! hahahhaah, unfortunately for me too, I always have the boyfriends that don't like Halloween costumes! And my poor dogs always get the brunt of my Halloween excitement too! :smileyhappy: 

Hey! Now not all men are that way. If its a cool costume I can live with it... Like that of a King ! yes... or a Islamic Imam ? Or Obama ? hahahah!!

So, maybe I can be Dianabt's boy friend one day :smileywink: hahha....

Antoine

prettyinpa

Re: Men In Costume ( yes we do ! )_

[ Edited ]
@antoine- Costuming as the President or a king is fine, but an Islamic Imam would be in poor taste. It's rude to make fun of other people's religion or clergy, how would you feel if someone ridiculed your holy men? Be nice.
lylysa

Re: Men In Costume ( yes we do ! )_

I think what prettyinpa was trying to say is that sure, though you may be fine with people dressing as nuns or priests, some other people may not be, so although you may be "cool" with it, not everyone may share your sentiment. Just as how I'm sure there are Ismanics out there that can understand a costume is a costume, but there are some who may not.

You cannot speak for all practicing Catholics out there as being "cool" with others dressing as members of other people's religions, so by telling Islamics they too need to learn to be cool seems insensitive. Although I see that you're trying to express a more laid back personality toward these things and that yes, it is beneficial for people to not always take things to heart, that's unfortunately not always the case.

It's one of those sad, but true cases of the world.

Hope that bit helps to clear the air some.

lylysa

Someone needs to start a thread about pets in costume!

dianabt

Ohhh I have far too many pet costume pictures to share...

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lylysa

Yeah, it was pretty warm, nothing too unbearable compared to other days in Houston!

Ooo, what kind of dog do you have, Prettyinpa?

prettyinpa

@lylysa- My dog is a huge flock guardian, but he is a big scaredy-cat. He gets spooked when I put hats on him and tears around the house like I'm torturing him. He will wear clothes though, but I have to sew them since dog costumes are way too small for him.
dianabt

That is SO cool! The costume looks great and it really looks like you are both super dedicated and into it! If I had time I would LOVE to have a costume with such great detail and makeup! Really really cool! :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lylysa

Thanks, Diana! It was super labor intensive, it was also my first time venturing into body painting with an airbrush, prior to that I only used an airbrush for cosmetic/face based work and a few art projects as laying down a base coat of paint, so this was quite the leap.

My bathroom was COVERED in a fine blue mist!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 27 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • dianabt
    • antoine0000
    • lylysa
    • beautytester
Photos5