Answer
lex121297
does accutane work well?
(0) Hearts

hey everyone so i obviously have acne prone skin or i would say sever acne in my t zone i am also very oily in my scalp and on my face i have tried a countless amount of products skincare makeup for my acne cheap and expensive!! i am in junior high and have ugly uncoverable embarrising acne!! i have lately heard of a miracle drug acccutane now i know this is a major drug and i want someones point of view of how well it works how long you take it what kind of makeup and skincare do you use while on it or what to eat or how to take care of your skin while on this drug i am also going to meet a dermotologist this week.... also if anyone has gotten permanatly rid of there acne some other way please let me know,i also know it gives sever side affects such as dryness so please anyone who has tried it give me all the details.......

thank you<33 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
shoegal1016
Answered
(0) Hearts

I realize I am answering this several months later, but on the off chance that anyone else considering Accutane reads this, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I was on Accutane for 6 months starting my senior year of high school and carrying over into the first months of college. It is an extremely powerful drug with some scary possible side effects. You do have to have blood tests done every month, but that is a small price to pay for clear skin. They will also put you on a birth control pill, regardless of whether you are sexually active, because it will cause severe birth defects.

I feel like a lot of people who haven't really struggled with acne will tell you to avoid this drug at all cost, but I don't think they really understand what it is like to have such bad acne that you hardly want to get out of bed in the morning. If your acne is to this point, then I don't see why you shouldn't talk to your derm about Accutane as an option.  I know from experience that acne can really do a number on your self-esteem. No one should have to feel like that.

Accutane will really dry you out. My derm gave me Cetaphil to wash my face, and some prescription lotion I don't remember the name of. I used Aquaphor for my lips, and usually sealed that with vaseline at night because that really locks in the moisture. My skin got so dry that the skin on my knuckles would crack and bleed, but then I discovered Neutrogena Norweigan Formula hand cream. Its a little greasy, but it really does restore the moisture. Also, make sure you have some lubricating eye drops on hand because your eyes may get dry as well.

Now for my results: my skin cleared up and was pretty decent for several years. It was probably my senior year of college that I started struggling with it again on a more regular basis. Not as bad as it was in high school. Fast-forward to today (one year post-grad) and it is returning to its pre-Accutane state. I have not suffered any long-term side effects, however. My eyes are fine, liver fine, etc. So I don't think that it was a mistake for me to go on Accutane, it just sadly did not have lasting effects. One of my roommates from college took it as well, and her skin has been clear ever since. It varies person-to-person. I will say however, that with my skin back to its natural ugly state, I am going to try to avoid doing a second course of Accutane. Although I did not suffer any lasting side effects, the drug still scares me. Thus if there is anything that I can do to avoid it but still get clear skin, I will take that route. Hope this helps someone.

Question Stats
  • 10 answers
  • 8 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • tallwoman
    • anaa
    • lex121297
    • ppots