Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Light fragrance for men

I am trying to get a fragrance for my father for his birthday. He is in his 50`s and does not like strong fragrances and i have no clue about light fragrances. Can someone please suggest a light but elegant fragrance that`s not too strong. Thanks in advance

Re: Light fragrance for men

In general, I’d try to stick to an eau de toilette version of a fragrance - it will have a weaker concentration.

The Atelier Cologne line is a good start, you could always try one of the sample packages.

Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver is a versatile, easy wear that’s a crowd pleaser.

Knize Ten is a clean, sharp leather that is a classic and affordable men's fragrance. It’s also of an older time so perhaps there might be something nostalgic about it for your father, kind of like seeing someone wearing vintage fashion.

He might like the fougère genre which is generally a clean, aromatic fragrance with a touch of sweetness featuring lavender, oakmoss and coumarin. Penhaligon's has one called English Fern that he might like although there are so many fragrances in this category.

Anonymous Insider

RE: Light fragrance for men

Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey Sport, Chanel Bleu isn't too heavy either, Creed Silver Mountain, Molecule fragrances are nice, too.

RE: Light fragrance for men

Agree with both suggestions!

Aqua di Gio or Ralph Lauren Polo are nice classics.

I can recommend two I used to get my dad through his 50's (been awhile since I've smelled them, but I usually go for light and clean and descriptions seem to confirm): Armani Mania and, probably my favorite, BOSS Hugo Boss (not whatever "BOSS The Scent" is).

Hi @zee868,

Lylysa made some really great recommendations! Two of my favorite brands that make some light fragrances are Jo Malone and Atelier Cologne. Both are brands that offer unisex fragrances.

Jo Malone London Basil & Neroli Cologne and Jo Malone London Wood Sage & Sea Salt Cologne could be great choices for your dad.The Basil & Neroli is on the woody side while the wood sage & sea salt is more a fresh smell. 

Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine Cologne Absolue Pure Perfume or Atelier Cologne Citron d’Erable Cologne Absolue are also great choices. I find that these two are a little more on the fruity side. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

Hi, zee868!

Look for fragrances with crisp citrus and ozonic (aquatic) notes for something light versus the more traditional that may have muskier, warmer tones.

Armani's Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme is a top seller in the men's category and for good reason. It blends various citrus fruits like mandarin, bergamot, and lime with more marine tones that help prevent this from being a purely fruity scent. It dries down with some gravity due to white musk, cedar, and oakmoss, but isn't smokey or too heavy smelling.

Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue Pour Homme walks similar paths to Acqua Di Dio as it too contains mandarin, bergamot, rosemary, and oakmoss, only this scent contains slightly sharper notes due to the use of grapefruit and juniper which adds an additional cleaniness to its scent. Szechuan pepper also provides a nice touch of some spice but it's balanced nicely as to not make the cologne jarring.

Versace's Versace Man Eau Fraiche is a variation on the original Versace Man cologne. White lemon opens up this scent for breath of fresh air while it also incorporates some more green and herbaceous notes with sage and tarragon. Sycamore and woodsy notes give this scent a more outdoorsy-feel.

Kenzo's L'eau Par Kenzo Pour Homme brings a bit of the unexpected to the classic citrus and clean take as it utilizes Japanese yuzu fruit with the watery notes of lotus flower, aquatic mint, and waterlily. These more transparent scents blend well together without seeming too strong or stark. 

Clean's Shower Fresh scent is a no-nonsense approach that gives the impression of cleanliness and freshness. Bergamot, lemon, and spearmint are combined for that ultra refreshing kick while cardamom, cedarwood, and black tea give this fragrance a nice wrap-up without being too typical of what denotes a manly fragrance.

If your dad seems like the kind of guy who would get a kick out of personalizing or constantly changing up his scent, try the Cocktail Kit from Commodity. The set has 10 trial sized vials of their fragrances so he can combine or wear scents separately based upon his tastes and mood. The fragrance brand is unisex so there are no particular "men" or "women's" fragrances.

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing