Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It

Cuticle trimming help

Hi all!

I feel like my cuticles are a wreck.  They've always looked better when a professional nail tech applies tips (and Dremels my nails) so I've gone back to wearing tips and my nails themselves look great.  However, my cuticles are still dry and peeling and overgrown.  My nail tech is conservative with drilling around the cuticle area so I push my own cuticles back when leaving for my fill appt.  The next day it looks like I've done nothing...my cuticles are dry and appear overgrown.  Trimming with a cuticle nipper or the V-tip type of trimmer makes them look great for that day, and the next day the skin is peeling back.  I've recently purchased Essie apricot cuticle oil which I take the time to apply and massage in a minimun of 4-5 times daily and as often as I think of it (yes it's greasy and I just deal with it). I sleep with the oil on, I apply it after every handwashing, but the effects are temporary.  My nail tech recommended Solar Oil (I think it's CND brand) but has no good advice for my crappy cuticles.  I tried Butter London's cuticle exfoliator but that actually made the dryness worse.

I would love if anyone has any advice or could share their cuticle woes and their routine.  However, please don't recommend coconut oil!...I know it's a current favorite (for every ailment) but I don't believe evey trendy product is a magic elixir.

Thanks guys!

KarlieK

RE: Cuticle trimming help

Poshe Cuticle Cream is amazing.

Re: Cuticle trimming help

I would suggest getting a manicure where they trim your cuticles and then starting from there. For me, the key is re-applying multiple times throughout the day. I like to use something with a more balm-y texture because I find it sits on the skin and lasts a little bit longer, and almost acts like a barrier than something like an oil that sinks in quickly.

I really like using the Farmacy Honey Savior or even the Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask on my cuticles.

I hate having dry cuticles too and I've made it a habit to constantly re apply through the day and I've found that that makes a huge difference. With the weather dry cuticles can look worse but I find adding a fresh coat of treatment on them helps them look better.

Hope that helps!

Hey @KarlieKat. In the winter my cuticles look the worst....

Hey @KarlieKat. In the winter my cuticles look the worst. Last year I used Burt's Bees cuiticle cream. That helped, but can become greasy. This year don't have any in my stash so I've been using random oils that contain argan oil. Josie Maran Argan Infinity is what I'm finishing now. Not as greasy as Burt's Bee--though more expensive. I don't have much advice on trimming though. I often use a cuticle remover gel to hold me over until I go in for a manicure. Hope these suggestions help.
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing