Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
|

Makeup for men: need tips and suggestions please.

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone is able to help me.  I have been wearing BB or CC cream for a while.  I'm wanting to get into a makeup routine, but I want it to look as natural as possible.  My two issues have been foundation that is cakey and sweating it off.

I suspect that I need these products, but I do not know if I am missing anything:
Primer, foundation, concealer, powder, setting spray, maybe a bronzer.  Not entirely sure for my eyebrows.  I have used brow gel in the past.  They are black but as I get older (35), their vibrant black color has turned to a black that isn't as vibrant.  Do I want a pencil?  Do I want some product that is a colored gel?

I have some brushes but I may need some more.  I got a set from Coringo free from ordering a lot of Korean skincare products and some brushes from Shopper's.  I have never been happy with the color that I got from the products that I bought there.

Do you have any product suggestion (any product, even if you do not have suggestions for all of them) and/or can you give me tips on finding my color and/or tips to keep the makeup as natural looking as possible?  I'm fine if people are like ''oh, he's wearing a bit of makeup''.  Men need to stay looking fresh and young in business settings, much like women do.  I would of course love if they were thinking ''is he wearing makeup or does he have great skin?''.  

I have a great skin regimen and know skincare extremely well.  Makeup is another story entirely.

Thank you

Just added a photo.  This is me with some BB cream I think or Avene's SPF with some color.  Not 100% sure.

Edit: Problems: some redness and sun damage around the nose.  Occasional pimple/blemish.  Uneven skin tone (getting better with peels) and skin that is getting older, so losing some of its ''radiance'' if that makes any sense.

BB cream only I thinkBB cream only I think

RE: Makeup for men: need tips and suggestions please.

I’ve been using Clinique Even Better and Estée Lauder Double Wear Nude for a “is he wearing make up or just good skin” look. I think they help me tone down red patches here and there on my skin. It still shows my natural flaws/features, but to a lesser degree. I set with light powder (hourglass veil setting powder) and spray (Caudalie Beauty Elixir). If you opt for fuller coverage, you’ll likely want to use a bronzer to bring back some dimension to the face. I like Hourglass Ambient Light bronzer, it looks and swatches glittery, but brushed on, it’s more natural than a matte bronzer and men can totally rock the glowing (but not sparkly) bronze.

Re: RE: Makeup for men: need tips and suggestions please.

Great advice Tony.

Do you use both foundations together?

I may have to swatch those, they sound like they might be up my alley.The bronzer sounds intriguing too.

Re: RE: Makeup for men: need tips and suggestions please.

I use them separately. The latest obsession I've found is  GIORGIO ARMANI BEAUTY - Luminous Silk Foundation.

It has a more matte finish compared to the other two listed, but it's a more fleshy, real matte and not a makeup matte.  Can be a little heavy if you apply too much (as with any foundation, I guess)  Tarte Rainforest Foundation might be a good, sheer option as well.

Yeah, I've only been adding a dusting of bronzer because most beauty gurus say a full face of foundation is really unnatural looking.  However, if it's sheer... do I really need to then "warm up" my skin again? I dunno.  Some days I go without bronzer.  I mostly apply a sheer layer of foundation and dust my face with powder and finish it with a spray. 

Re: Makeup for men: need tips and suggestions please.

Pat,

First off...as another poster said, your brows are good, just keep them groomed as it appears you do.

I started wearing makeup for work video calls and for some meetings after I got used to it. After that, it snowballed to nearly daily use now and it gets to be part of your routine.
I agree wholeheartedly that men can do it.
I also go for natural and clean and keep it masculine for work.

Best thing I did was go in and see a beauty advisor, lots of guys do and it was so worth it.
Ask for your color IQ and some help in picking a foundation good primer for your skin type.
They take good care of you and just focus on finding the foundation type and color best for you. I started with pressed powder, tried liquid full coverage after that and finally settled on a stick with a translucent powder on top was best for me and was pretty undetectable when applied right. (and yes setting spray as another poster mentioned is key to making it long wearing and staying put.

But everyone is different. Having the shade matched by someone that knows what they are doing is super important for beginners. It will be a game changer. That right there should be at least $50.00 so they will absolutely be happy to apply it in store and give you suggestions and teach techniques.
So so worth it.

Makeup for work is great, but you might find it fun too.
I am just starting to use hints of eyeliner outside of work for fun. Tightlining is a technique that is great for guys to play with.

I feel like if makeup looks caky that can mean that theres either to much on or the skin prep isn't exactly what it should be. One of my favorite foundations for a natural finish is the TARTE - Water Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 - Rainforest of the Sea™ Collection, the other is the URBAN DECAY - Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Foundation. Both are very skin like and can be calming for light redness in the skin.

A good setting power, KVD Beauty Lock-It Refillable Mattifying Pressed Finishing Powder Light, Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Translucent, and Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucentsetting spray KVD Beauty Lock-It Makeup Setting Mist Standard Size - 4.0 oz/ 120 mL,COVER FX - High Performance Setting Spray, and Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Makeup Setting Spray Standard Size - 4 oz/ 118 mLwill help with keeping everything on instead of sweating it off.

Thank you so much.  I just signed up for Sephora and it's so cool that you can put down the product that you're suggesting and that it's linking to them.  Good job to Sephora on that!

I very much appreciate you taking the time to give me advice and to suggest some products.  There is 20% cashback on Ebates at the moment and I am on the last refill from my cushion (CC cream), so it seems like the perfect time to buy some makeup. I have watched so many tutorials, but the products are evolving so quickly.  Whatever was recommended 2 years ago by a MUA clearly isn't bad today, but the formula may have changed or there may be something more suitable to my needs that came out since.  For skincare, I'm totally on top of it.  It's been a love of mine since I was 12.  Makeup is a totally different story.  I'm just starting to learn and I prefer to ask people than to end up with horrible products or with products that would not work for me at all.  I appreciate you taking the time to help me out, @IttyxBittyxMe !

@PatPat83 I think you look great!  I'd love to have your skin.  

If you're looking to 'set' your base product maybe a primer (I enjoy a lot of primers, but to recommend, I'd suggest the Hourglass Veil or the Too Faced Hangover.  I've only just started testing the Milk Makeup primer and so far it's pretty good as well).

A setting powder is nice to help take down shine and set base.  If you're looking for a bit of extra coverage a powder foundation might help.  I like the Make Up For Ever Setting Powder and Powder Foundation.  The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders would give a nice glow without getting glittery as well. 

A setting spray would help with makeup melting off as well.  I don't stray from the Urban Decay All Nighter.  It takes down any powdery look and really helps my make up stay in place. 

I think your brows look great here, but I'd try a tinted brow gel if you're looking for some control and a touch of colour.  Benefit makes a nice one.

Really though... you look great!

You are too sweet.  Thank you.  I struggle with cystic acne in certain areas of my face.  I have a 10 step Korean routine and I am very strict.  If I miss a day, my skin can take 2-3 weeks to get back to normal and I will likely get a painful cyst.  When my skin is good, it's good.  When it's not good, it's usually bad haha

Thank you for your suggestions.

Oh, for the brows, this photo is cheating a bit.  This is a picture right after they were done.  I'm taking that selfie at the spa.  I was all red, so I had just put on some BB cream. 

I will look into the products that you mentioned.  Thank you so much for your help.  Btw, that photo was a great skin day.  I don't tend to put as much on when I'm having a good day.  Sadly, some days are not as great. Redness can take over or a cyst can really ruin your confidence.  I'm also getting my neck hair lasered (I hate shaving and the trauma that it causes to the skin), so I expect to need something with a bit more coverage for a while.  I did not start yet.  I know that I will need to wait X amount of days after each treatment before putting on makeup and even some of my skincare products.  I am really hoping that my skin reacts well to the laser and that if I have to cut some of my skincare products for a few days after each session, the cysts will not see it as an opportunity to throw a party on my neck lol

Thanks again!

@PatPat83 I completely understand how acne can shake a persons confidence.  For 'natural' base days I really love the Clarins UV PLUS Anti-Pollution Sunscreen Multi-Protection Tint SPF 50 LightIt comes in an untainted version, but I love the tinted version for just a bit of coverage that looks just like skin.  A nice light coverage, yet emollient concealer could be good for days when you're looking to cover a certain spot.  The NARS Soft Matte Complete Concealer Biscuitis great for this purpose.  

I had laser hair removal done a few years ago and LOVE the results.  Granted it wasn't my neck that was done, but some rather my legs, underarms and Brazilian.  Best decision ever.  It took multiple treatments, (I went every 6 weeks for about a year), but it's so worth it.  Neck area might be a bit different but I probably could have put make up on my legs if not the next day, two days after treatments. 

I'm glad that you are happy with your laser end-results.  I've been thinking about this for a long time now.  I have never had the interest to grow a beard and I absolutely hate shaving.  There are a few gray hairs that are starting to appear, so it feels like it's now or never.  I really do not want electrolysis all over my neck.  I'm fine with it to remove what the laser couldn't really get, but all of it...no thanks.  I had the two annoying hairs that kept growing on my left ear removed and while I'm happy that they are never coming back, it's was not the most pleasant feeling.

I need to have a look at the Clarin product.  I wonder if it could replace the Shiseido Ultimune that I currently use. I'm going to keep using it if it doesn't replace it, but if it does, I don't see the point in spending needlessly.  Pollution protection, SPF and a bit of a tint all in one sound really good to me.  I have all these steps, but one by one.  Price is always something to consider, but so is efficiency.  And I will admit to being very slow when getting ready.  I like to enjoy the process and to let certain products sink in for a certain amount of time to get the most out of them...

I appreciate all the help and suggestions.  I suspect that this will be like it is with skincare: trial and error- seeing what suits me best.  I realize that even the most popular products may be products that won't work for me, but just like with skincare, there is much less of a risk of that happening when it's a product that works for most people.  Thank you @missjeanie 

I hope 

Anytime @PatPat83 !  It will take some trial and error, but Sephora is great at samples!  I try to grab a few anytime I'm in store.  

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 22 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
  • BB cream only I think
testing