cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|
Anonymous Insider

#newtomakeup

Hello, To EVERYONE I need HELP in finding makeup, I'm new and I want to learn everything. The only makeup that I have is Drugstore. No Primer, Foundation, Finish spray, Blush, no nothing, Just Eyeshadow and some cuople brushes.

Re: #newtomakeup

Hi @Anonymous!

Makeup is one of my favorite ways of expressing myself!  I'm so stoked for you to get started!

The first and most important step is Skincare!  Find products based on your skin type (oily, combo, dry, normal) and skin concerns (acne, wrinkles, dark spots, etc.)

You can take the skincare quiz to help narrow down products:

https://www.sephora.com/beauty/skin-care-quiz?icid2=buyingguides_skincarequiz_image_ufe

Other Quizzes: https://www.sephora.com/beauty/best-beauty-products

I know there are a lot of good quality drugstore products but they just can't compare to the more luxurious ones sold at Sephora and Nordstrom.

It would be easier for us to recommend products if you know your skin type!

Sunscreen is a must!  My holy grail sunscreen is the Japanese Kose Suncut Sunscreen.  It's waterproof, has SPF 50+, UV Protection and PA++++!  It's a gel so it doesn't leave any streaks on my face.  Another popular one is Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL.  Make sure it has UV Protection since UV Rays are the most harmful to your skin.  Sunscreen without UV Protection is pretty much useless, and so is foundation with SPF.

Primer will help blur pores and even out skin textures.

Foundation depends on your skin type!  Foundation has different coverages (light, medium, medium to full buildable, and full coverage).  They have different finishes (matte, natural, radiant).  Find your skin's undertone color and test the foundation on your jawline for the correct color.

Other more natural options are tinted moisturizer, BB cream and CC cream.

I like to use a #beautyblender the original beautyblender® Original for foundation.

Concealers can be used for 2 different things: brighten your face like dark circles, or cover blemishes like acne and dark spots.

For brightening your face, choose one that is 2 shades lighter than your foundation color.

I have found that the undertone color for concealer doesn't matter as long as it is 2 shades lighter.

For covering blemishes, choose one that is as close to your foundation color as possible.  That way, the concealer will blend seamlessly with your foundation.  Using a lighter color will make acne stand out.

Setting powder is great, especially for oily skin.  It helps keep the makeup in place and can be used throughout the day to mattify oily skin.  I like the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Translucent.  You can dust or press it on to your face.  Some people even like to bake their face.

Contour and bronzers help sculpt your face.  Powder ones work well for oily and normal skin, cream and stick ones work for dry and normal skin.

Use a highlighter to highlight the high points of your face like cheek bones and bridge/tip of nose.

Eyebrows make or break my face!  Use the Golden Ratio to shape and fill in your brows.  If you have sparse brows like me, I like to use the Anastasia Beverly Hills DIPBROW® Waterproof, Smudge Proof Brow Pomade Ash Brown with the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dual-Ended Firm Angled Eyebrow Brush #12.

If you're lucky to have full brows, you can use Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz® Ultra-Slim Precision Eyebrow Pencil Ebony or Benefit Cosmetics Gimme Brow+ Volumizing Eyebrow Gel Jumbo 2.

Use the Golden Ratio to draw your perfect brows and once you're satisfied, you can trim, shave and pluck them.  Make sure to only pluck hairs outside your drawn brows, that way you're not over plucking hairs.

Blush can be used on the apple of your cheeks to give your face a healthy glow.  I personally don't use blush since it makes my already round face look fatter.

Doing my eye makeup is my favorite part!  For a natural look, I like the Natasha Denona Bronze Eyeshadow Palette.  It's a great starter palette for beginners.

Having a good brush set will make a huge difference.  My favorite starter set is the SEPHORA COLLECTION Ready To Roll Brush Set (has face and eye brushes).  The bristles are super soft.  Another one is SEPHORA COLLECTION Eyes: Uncomplicated Brush Set but the bristles are a bit harsher.

My favorite palettes are SEPHORA COLLECTION MOSCHINO + SEPHORA Laptop Palette, HUDA BEAUTY The New Nude Eyeshadow Palette and Too Faced Just Peachy Mattes Eyeshadow Palette – Peaches and Cream Collection.  Moschino and Huda are super pigmented so a little goes a long way.  The Too Faced one isn't as pigmented, but is good for beginners since you can build up colors as you go.

For setting spray, I recommend the Urban Decay All Nighter Ultra Matte Makeup Setting Spray 4.0 fl oz/ 118 ml 

So excited for you! the wide world of makeup can be confusing but fun 🙂 For more info, what type of makeup looks do you like? Just because a makeup product exists doesn't mean it's right for you, it all depends what type of look you're trying to create. 

As a starting point, it's important to remember that just because something is from the drugstore doesn't mean it's not good! You just have to know where to look. Burt's Bees powder blush and L'Oreal Mattifying Primer are both good drugstore products that I keep on hand. In terms of setting spray, I highly recommend Urban Decay All Nighter Ultra Matte Makeup Setting Spray 4.0 fl oz/ 118 ml, especially if you have oily skin or are otherwise looking for a matte look.

Keep us posted!!

Hi, so awesome that you want to learn something new!

I really recommend you find a beauty channel that you can admire and learn from (at this time I know it can be very difficult, considering the overwhelming drama)

I definitely felt that I learned a lot from Tati Westbrook & Samantha Rahvndal (i hope i didn't screw up the spelling sorry!)

If you're new, please please please consider learning more before you buy. With all due respect to Sephora employees and other beauty associates in stores, today it's very difficult to find honest opinions about makeup without trying to drive up a sale. So my best recommendation to you BEFORE you buy makeup, that who knows if it'll even work, learning a little bit here and there will provide you with the correct information about making a smart purchase rather than just purchasing on whim.

Goodluck!

Anonymous Insider

I am new too!! I am a man and I want to wear makeup but I am sooooooo scared people at work with make fun of me. 😞 I'm a manager.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing