Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

The In-store Swatching and Testing Thread

Going in-store is SO much fun.  And a lot of that fun has to do with testing and swatching products.  I thought it would great for us to have a place to chat about what products we explored in-store.  Are there products that you want to test-run some more in store before making a purchase?  Are there products that you knew instantly weren't for you?  Were there products that presented differently in-store than online?

shutterstock_528688870.jpg

Re: The In-store Swatching and Testing Thread

I popped into Ulta and wound of swatching a ton.  Many MAC...none seemed like my style but I didn't make my way to the pinks yet.  Their grape lip blam read a warm pink which wasn't what I was looking for.  Bobbi Brown Extra Lip Tint Sheer Oil-Infused Lip Balm Bare Punch (not sure of exact shade) was SO barely pigmented.  At least I was able to remove something from my loves list.

I tried on Youthforia Dewy Gloss 3am because it looked so wrong that it had to be right.  It wasn't bad but the pigment didn't last.  What was left over was a nicer version of my lips.  But the price point is deterring me for that subtle of a look.

I swatched CLINIQUE Pop Plush™ Creamy Lip Gloss at Macy's in Strawberry and Sugarplum. They've been sold out everywhere online and of course these was true at the counter.  I finally got to get a decent swatch of IT Cosmetics Pillow Lips Solid Serum Lip Gloss in Marvelous.  It seemed promising albeit light. 

Sounds like a very productive day of swatches @greeneyedgirl107 

And figuring out what to keep or remove from your loves list is pretty handy to narrowing down your next purchase 😄

@CynthieLu I'm becoming one of those people that shops in store with my phone!  I need to come up with a Dislikes List so I can keep track of shades that just didn't do it for me.

Lol I love it ,like a Pass list. For shades it would be alot to keep track of thou 😅 @greeneyedgirl107 

@CynthieLu we need to make an app for that!

I was out in a big city and got to go into a large Sephora *ooh it was awesome! My local is small*

I got to smell (Finally 😁)

TOM FORD Electric Cherry Eau de Parfum Fragrance 🍒 

TOM FORD Cherry Smoke Eau de Parfum Fragrance ( I liked this one alot,  it reminded me of the candy Nibs)

I also got to give the Kaja Wink Stamp Long Waterproof Wing Eyeliner Stamp & Pen a try in person. I liked the way it stamped, look at those little wings!

And I think it's a viable option for me when my current stamper runs dry

20230524_153538.jpg

@CynthieLu I'm so thrilled that you got to experience the TF and the Kaja Wink Stamp Original Waterproof Wing Eyeliner Stamp & Pen Original - Ink Black !  Like being a kid in a candy store, I'm sure!

I grew up in a somewhat metropolitan area for lack of a better term, and it's so hard these days to be stymied by "smaller" stores.  I hope you get to go back.  🙂 

It was so fun being in there 🤩 @greeneyedgirl107 

They had a vast selection, ahhh it was thrilling! 🖤🤍

Great thread idea @greeneyedgirl107 

I was instore last week testing out swatches of highlighters 😉

Saie Glowy Super Gel Lightweight Dewy Multipurpose Illuminator was so fun to do in person 🤩

@CynthieLu I think stores need to have an outdoor patio where we can see in natural light without having to leave the store.  Wouldn't that be great?!

Natural lighting options, there's another good idea girl! 💡 🌞  lol! @greeneyedgirl107 

@CynthieLu Thanks!

I went to Ulta today and did a bunch of swatching.  I swatched CLINIQUE Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm and found they were just as sheer and lacking in emollients as the gift set I got in 2017.  I also tried the CLINIQUE Chubby Stick Intense Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm 01 Curviest Caramel in a number of shades but the pinks, berries and reds were too rich and I wasn't interested in the nudes. 

I tried on two CLINIQUE Pop Plush™ Creamy Lip Gloss Rosewater Pop (apple and velour as those were in stock) and while nice, they were so wet/shiny and lacking nuance.

I took a closer look at Benefit lip balms and none of the shades spoke to me.  I wondered where all the pinks and mauve were in the line.  I swatched because tubrs can be deceiving but no luck.

I think I found the shade of the bareMinerals gloss I liked at Kohl's + Sephora: Love.  It didn't have the same effect, and I suspect the previous time was a fluke.  I tried another shade and while nice, it was a little more berry toned than I wanted.

I finally found out where the shade names were on the tarte Maracuja Juicy Lip Balm (on the bottom - I kept looking on the sides).  Again, they didn't do anything for me.  Maybe if they weren't such a gloppy mess at every store.

I swatched some Stila but they were very sheer...it was some kind of a gloss that Sephora doesn't carry.

I wanted to swatch IT Cosmetics Pillow Lips Solid Serum Lip Gloss but the testers were virtually empty.  I feel like it's been that way for months.

Urban Decay Vice Hydrating Lipstick in the sheer shades were nowhere to be found.

I was at a Kohl's + Sephora this week to pick up some unicorn BOPIS for a friend.  It was my first time actually browsing in that location.  It was so quiet and clean, and I was able to get a lot of swatching done.

I tried Kaja Wink Stamp Original Waterproof Wing Eyeliner Stamp & Pen Original - Ink Black .  I was super excited for the opportunity.  I thought the stamp was a little stubby, so I think another trip will have to be made.

I tried Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Tinted Lip Oil and was surprised by how pigmented the colors were.  SO, all of them looked too dark/bright for me.  I wanted to try Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Stay Vulnerable Glossy Lip Balm Nearly Mauve but couldn't get the doe foot tester to get enough product.  I think the product may just to too sheer from first impressions...and maybe second - I know I explored this during the sale.

I tried bareMinerals Mineralist Lip Gloss Balm and thought the color was too sheer.  But when I was in my car and at home, the color seemed like a pretty pale petal pink/baby pink.  NOW, I have to check what shade it was.

I also swatched a lot of tarte Maracuja Juicy Lip Balm and tarte maracuja juicy lip crème .  It looked like the store was missing shades, and I couldn't tell the names of the colors.  None jumped out.

I finally got a decent tester for IT Cosmetics Pillow Lips Solid Serum Lip Gloss .  The color 11:11 was too bright.  I was surprised by pigmented it was.  There's another color I want to try, but like all other testers I've seen of this product, it was too worn down.

I swatched a TON of SEPHORA COLLECTION Satin Hydrating Lipstick and none of the colors translated in person as they did online.  I also swatched a ton of SEPHORA COLLECTION Rouge Lacquer Long-Lasting Lipstick and it was the same deal.

I was impressed with how many MUFE lipsticks there were (more than at my local Sephora), but of course the shade I wanted wasn't there.

fresh Sugar Lip Balm Hydrating Treatment had some new shades from the last gift set I got in 2017.  But, the problem of them being so sheer still remains.  Plus, shades I wanted weren't at Kohl's nor my local Sephora.  It's frustrating when shades you want to try just aren't available.

I probably tried a lot of other things, but just can't remember.

When I was in-store during the sale I tried on Bobbi Brown Luxe Lipstick in Pink Cloud.  I'll have to try it on again before I make a decision.

I also tried ILIA Balmy Gloss Tinted Lip Oil in Linger and Maybe Violet.  They're maybes.

Laura Mercier Lip Glacé Lip Gloss  in Rose Syrup was all right, too.  I feel like I could probably find a cheaper dupe, tho - in theory.

I passed on Glossier Monochromes Essential Eyeshadow Trio Palette in the taupe shades b/c they were SO sheer.  It's a shame, b/c that idea had potential.

Swatching on the to-do list is A LOT of Dior...although I find many overpriced.  And more Clinique.  Of course I put that off, and this weekend there was a 30% off sale.

What a great idea @greeneyedgirl107 for a thread! I’m curious about that stamper. I think @CynthieLu has a bit of experience them.

@JoSometimes My stamper is an Amazon one my little sister got me. It was like 10$ or something at the time and it's pretty darn handy. There is a definite learning curve thou but I really like it for a cute and easy little black wings.

I've debated the Kaja Wink Stamp Original Waterproof Wing Eyeliner Stamp & Pen Original - Ink Black Kaja Wink Stamp Long Waterproof Wing Eyeliner Stamp & Pen pens allot thou. It's just the price tag that has kept me from trying them. But I like the idea of having various sizes pens for different wings 🪽 😉

What did you think of the Kaja stamper in store @greeneyedgirl107 ?

@CynthieLu the original was stubby at the base.  I think I'll need to try it again when u have more time.  The long one was indeed long...I only stamped it on my wrist.  One issue with wings I've been having is that my right eye tends to get hooded.  Like around my time of the month or with sleep aids or if I'm just tired.  I'm delving into caffeine eye products now.   I'll probably end up buying the kaja but the 30 day return window frustrates me.  Your Flick Stick is still very appealing to me.

@JoSometimes thanks!  I swatched some more today by happenstance and posted above.   I'm sure I sound very picky, but lately I'm at a loss with Lip products.   I've mentioned that I don't care for nudes and mattes, which is much of what's out there.  The leftovers always seem too sheer or too rich.  And while many I could find acceptable, I gave a hard time spending $20 at minimum for something I'm lukewarm on.

No need to worry about it @greeneyedgirl107! You know what you like, why spend money something you don’t?

@JoSometimes @thanks!!!   💜 💖 💗 💘 ❤️ 💙 

22 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 48 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos2
  • shutterstock_528688870.jpg
  • 20230524_153538.jpg
testing