Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life

The Beauty Basics

Hey guys so I'm sort of new to this whole make up thing so I was wondering what are some of the best products and brushes to use for practicing and getting the hang of makeup?

Re: The Beauty Basics

Hi @kirstenokay

That's a great question! I started off using drugstore products because I didn't want to invest in some expensive, high-end brands without knowing exactly what I wanted. Don't overlook the drugstore because many of those brands have stepped up their game and this a great way to find out what kind of makeup you prefer. Here are my favorite drugstore (as well as some high-end) makeup products: 

• Primer: Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Primer 
  • Foundation: Wet n Wild Photo Focus Foundation and Milani Conceal + Perfect 2-in-1 Foundation
  • Concealer: Maybelline SuperStay Better Skin 
  • Contour: Smashbox Step-by-Step Cream Contour Trio (I also like their powder contour sets) 
  • Blush: Wet n Wild Color Icon Blushes and Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blushes
  • Highlighter: essence Pure Nude Highlighter and Wet n Wild Megaglow in Precious Petals 
  • Lashes: Ardell Natural Multipack in Demi Wispies (comes with 4 pairs) 
  • Makeup Tools: Most of my brushes are from morphebrushes.com. My favorite sponge is the EcoTools Total Perfecting Blender (not the duo) 
  • Setting Spray: Urban Decay All-Nighter 

these are my holy grail products:

• Toofaced hangover primer
  • lancome 24hr foundation
  • it cosmetics face powder
  • laura mercie setting powder
  • becca (champagne pop) highlighter
  • Tarte amazonian clay bronzer
  • i use drugstore mascara (and love it) 
  • lips: Sephora lipstick (in shade brunch) Toofaced liquid matte (suck it) Bareminerals liquid matte (Icon)

hope these help 🙂
also, my brushes r from ecotools

I think it depends on the types of looks you love (natural, bold, glam, etc.), how much time you're willing to spend on makeup each day, budget, and skin type. 

As for brushes, while I think good ones are worth the investment (I really like the Sephora Collection brushes), some inexpensive brands like Elf also have some great brushes (I especially like their eyeshadow brushes). 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing