Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Make-up 101

So I'm very much a make-up minimalist and avoid buying extravagant products. I heard about Loose Setting Make-up Powder. I'm looking into the Laura Mercer brand, specifically. Can anyone tell me what a setting powder does and what brand is best (if Laura Mercer is not worth it)? 

Sephora carries a mini sized Laura Mercier setting powder...

Sephora carries a mini sized Laura Mercier setting powder for $23, I tried that before splurging on the full size.

I prefer the kvd but It can leave a white cast

I prefer the kvd but It can leave a white cast

Re: I prefer the kvd but It can leave a white cast

I personally haven't noticed a white cast, but I can see how that could happen.  I'm fair enough that it's rare for me to have an issue with something being too light.

Re: Make-up 101

You'll be very happy with the Laura Mercier brand setting powder -- it's a personal favourite of mine!

Re: Make-up 101

Setting powder will lock in your foundation and concealer so it doesn't move around your face after application. There are loose and pressed setting powders and which one you use is purely a matter of personal preference.  There are translucent and colored setting powders.  Translucent is obviously more versatile but the colored setting powders can illuminate or do a final hint of color correction.

I did not have great luck with the Laura Mercier, although I know it is a lot of people's holy grail setting powder. I personally use the Too Faced Primed and Poreless powder.  I travel for work and love that I can use this as both a primer and a setting powder.

There are certainly cheaper alternatives.  The RCMA powder is a cult classic and less than half the cost of most of the setting powders you'll find here.  It doesn't work well with my rosacea but it may work great for you.  

I hope that helps!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing