Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Lipstick

Help! I am new to lipstick and wanting to start a collection, but I just don't know where to start. I need some for different occasions. 🙂

Tags:

Lipstick

@KateGalindo I've been building a lip collection too! I've been having fun shopping from the minis section just to try different brands/formulas/colors. So far I have really liked the Nars pencils and the ABH matte lipsticks
Anonymous Insider

Re: Lipstick

The Stilla and Makeup Forever lines are great. For price,Revlon & Elizabeth Arden are nice.

As someone who hadn't worn lipstick in years but recently started again, I feel your pain. I personally decided to start by looking for the following:

1. the perfect nude lip--after trying hundreds I've finally settled on two Charlotte Tilburry ones because I liked the feel of them on my lips (Nude Kate has a bit of a pink tone to it while Kim KW has a bit of an orange undertone) for daily wear and Chanel's Rouge Double Intensite Ultra Wear Lip Color in Merry Rose (Tender Biege is also good if you want something a tiny bit darker).
  2. a statement lip--I actually divided this into two categories, a traditional deep red and a purplish shade, but it all depends on what you like and what colors you typically wear in makeup and clothing. Either way, unless you love reapplying I'd stick to longer wearing formulas for your deep statement colors because it'll be some obvious if the wear off during an event. 
  3. A light lip--here I was thinking of things that work when you want a sort of ethereal look, on me that's pale purples or things with a slight silvered color
  4. a basic gold lip gloss
  5. something that will opalize your lipsticks--there are tons of good gloss options here. 
  6. OPTIONAL--there are lipsticks that you can get to make other lipsticks darker or lighter, some people swear by them and some hate them so that's a hugely personal call. 

I dont know if you also want recommendations on brands or formulas or were looking for something more general like the above, but I hope that helps!  The one thing I will say is that if all the lip liners I've tried, I like the Charlotte Tilbury formula best because it's the most long lasting, nondrying, formula I've found. 

Good luck and happy hunting!

@KateGalindo If you are looking to build a collection, I rec starting with inexpensive lip products first.  UD Vice Lipsticks are very nice, and some are on sale for $8.50 on Sephora.  I bought Obsessed with is a generic bubblegum pink and was so happy with it that I bought Brat (I remember trying it on in-store but I can't remember the exact shade of pink).  UD Naked (cream) is a good pink neutral/nude; but I think it is probably full price.

NYX has a bunch of lip products that are affordable, and often on sale at Ulta.

RE: Lipstick

Do you want one brand of lippies or just a large collection? It’s great to start of with the lip favourites kits because they have different brands to try out, different shades, and different kinds (like gloss, lip stick, stains). I love the Too Faced melted matte lipsticks most, they’re not very drying for a matte, they stay on well, and just work well for me.

RE: Lipstick

Urban Decay Vice is LIFE 💄💋

My personal favorites are the Sephora cream lip stains . They go on liquid but dry matte, so I usually wait until they dry then put balm over the top. They are really affordable and come in many great colors! Kat Von D's liquid ones are great too, just a bit pricier.

Bite Beauty lipsticks are also amazing; they go on a bit thick, so I usually put on balm to smooth my lips out before I put the lipstick on.

Buxom full on lipstick is great, and the Nars and Trestique lip crayons are pretty great also, especially if you're just getting the hang of applying lipstick.

What are your favorite shades from these products?

@KateGalindo I second the Sephora cream liquid lipsticks! My favorite shade is #13 Marvelous Mauve. 

Another great liquid lipstick formula is Stila stay all day. 

i personally love matte lipstick try kat von d 

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing