Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers

Help me pick a lip stain!

I'm getting married in July and need to pick a lip stain! I'm looking at the Fenty or Dior lip stains but I'm open to suggestions!

Edit: thank you for all the help! I bought the Fenty one for now. I'm not loving how long it takes to dry down or how it looks after I blot it. It is very moisturizing on my lips which I love so I'm debating keeping it and putting a liquid lipstick over it. I put the NYX shine loud liquid lipstick over it and it stayed after eating and everything! I just need a darker shade I think! 

Just the stain 

1000002621.jpg

Liquid lipstick on top

1000002645.jpg

Re: Help me pick a lip stain!

Love the pictures of you with I'm guessing Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Poutsicle Hydrating Lip Stain Strawberry Sangria ❤️ The liquid lip over top looks bold and beautiful @SarahRideout 

Thank you! It is the Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Poutsicle Hydrating Lip Stain in strawberry sangria! I don't love how long it takes to dry down but I love the colour and the formula! Thanks for all your help @CynthieLu 

@SarahRideout not a stain, but the MUA used Maybelline liquid lipstick for my sister and it was beautiful!

I've heard great things about that one! 

I would definitely recommend the rare Beauty soft pinch lip oil. It has a nice feel on your lips, amazing color, and it’s at an affordable price.

I also love the lip stain from fenty.

@SarahRideout I would also look into Korean beauty. They are the lip stain OGs. Almost every Kbeauty brand has their own lipstain (usually more than one line). Look into Peripera, Rom&nd, Dasique, Amuse. They have glossy and velvet stains and can be very affordable depending on where you buy them. They also have tons of shades. I would also try the Maybelline Vinyl lipsticks. They have a glossy finish at first but if that wears off they have a liquid lipstick base that lasts a long time. 

@SarahRideout Congratulations! I can speak to enjoying the Fenty stain. I have recently tried the MILK MAKEUP Cooling Water Jelly Tint Lip + Cheek Blush Stain Spritz . It can be used as a lip or cheek stain. Going to tag @CynthieLu and @missjeanie who like the Fenty stains. 

@Mellmars1185 @SarahRideout @CynthieLu 

Congratulations on your impending wedding!  I love a good lip stain and see a huge appeal for a wedding day look.  I've only tried the MILK MAKEUP Cooling Water Jelly Tint Lip + Cheek Blush Stain Splash  version this last week so I don't have a long term feel for them, but i find this is actually a great lip/cheek combo product.  The stain it leaves is very thin so, it doesn't really dry the lip out, but it doesn't leave moisture either.  I find you do have to work quick with this product as a cheek stain.  As a lip stain... it may not be best for a wedding day look unless you're willing to fuss with your application with a lip brush.  Straight from the tube it's quite large to get a great lip shape.  That said, the stain is lovely.  I would suggest pairing with a clear lip gloss or oil over top for shine and comfort. Ami Colé Hydrating Lip Treatment Oil is a personal fave.  The colour with this stain lasts me for four or five hours.  I pretty much only need to reapply after a meal.

The Dior Dior Addict Lip Tint 771 Natural Berry have way more colour pay off than the Milk, Fenty, or Benefit.  They're almost like a combo stain/longwear lipstick.  They're also more of a matte look.  I've only tried one of these and while it's very nice, easy to apply, and a gorgeous shade, I find them a bit drying.  If I apply a gloss over them they can move around a little and come off on glass wear. 

The Benefit Cosmetics Playtint Lip & Cheek Stain to me are... not it.  They leave behind a sheer colour and it lasts for a few hours, but the brush applicator isn't the best for accuracy, it feels like you're using a nail polish brush.  Easy to apply to cheeks and has blending time for that application.

The Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Poutsicle Hydrating Lip Stain is the one I'd choose for this occasion of these four.  The doe foot is more elegant than the Benefit and easier to be accurate with than the Milk.  It leaves a great stain that isn't drying, but does start off as a glossier shiney finish that wears down really nicely.  You could easily blot this after application to avoid the high shine if you wanted to, and the high shine doesn't last super long. 

I do have to say that if you're looking for a more 'nude' or muted shade you may want to try out the Yves Saint Laurent Lip Stains, there are a few versions of this out there, some will say Vinyl and some Glossy... they're all great.  They have the precise application as the Fenty and Dior and have a great shade range that includes more nude/easier to wear shades than the Fenty options.  However depending on where you are they may be available at stores other than Sephora. 

Hope you find something that you love, but I also have to say the same as CynthieLu, make sure you play around with them a bit first and know how they wear on you.  

Congrats!!

Thank you so much! I'll take a look at the MILK MAKEUP Cooling Water Jelly Tint Lip + Cheek Blush Stain however im a little weary of lip and cheek products due to my extremely dry lips. 

Oooh a huge congratulations to you!! 🎉💝

Fenty wins over D'ior stains for me. I've never tried the ones by MILK or Benefit. @SarahRideout

I think you'll want to pick a few options and practice wearing them, getting used to how they behave on you. I think wear tests will be important for something as big and special as your wedding. 🤍💛 

(Thank you for the tag @Mellmars1185 🙏)

Thank you! Maybe I'll pick up all 3 and try them all out! I've always heard the benefit one is awesome but I've never used it. Definitely agree about the test wears! The one my fiance bought me dries my lips so bad! It's not a lip stain though. 

Let us know if you find "The One" @SarahRideout 

And how your wear tests go. 😊 All new lippies take a little time to figure out.

Awww he's very sweet to try but dry lippies are so uncomfortable. 

I usually tap my lips with water (not salvia) and press my lips together to seal in a little moisture before I apply my lip stains or lipsticks. I find it helps prevent too much dryness.

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 36 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos2
  • 1000002621.jpg
  • 1000002645.jpg
testing