Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in K-Beauty
|

Makeup wipes or Double-Cleanse???

I currently use makeup wipes to remove makeup (eye and face), then use a mild cleanser. Is this a Korean “No-No”?? I have been considering switching to Oil Wash (mainly cause I worry about the gentleness of makeup wipes around my eyes), but with combination skin, worried the oil will mess with me.

Makeup wipes or Double-Cleanse???

Double cleanse all the way, makeup wipes are only meant to take off the most heavy duty stuff(liquid lip, maskara, pomade eyebrows)before double cleansing.

Re: Makeup wipes or Double-Cleanse???

Hi @KrishAtl!

I have combo/oily skin that can be somewhat sensitive and acne prone and used to use facial wipes almost exclusively to take off my makeup without washing my face afterwards.  I cringe now at the thought of doing that.  At the time, I was having monthly breakouts and my skin was not in great shape.  I started experiencing dehydrated skin and had a perioral dermatitis breakout while using new wipes I hadn't used before.  I've since stopped using wipes completely and use 100% jojoba oil to melt my makeup and then I wash it all off with La Roche Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Cleanser.  I've done a few other things to improve my skincare routine and I now hardly ever hard a breakout.  

On my rare and few lazy  nights when I don't want to melt the makeup and then wash it off, I use an alcohol free toner to remove it all off with a cotton pad and eye makeup remover for the eyes.  My skin feels fine the next day but it's not something I do regularly.

I think wipes are OK if you're skin can tolerate them and as @fieldsclover says, in cases of "emergency" 🙂 . But for regular day to day, I'd recommend using an oil to melt the makeup and then a gentle cleanser that's fit for your skin.

I hope you find this helpful!

RE: Makeup wipes or Double-Cleanse???

@KrishAlt~ Call me crazy, but I get more satisfaction out out of using an oil/balm cleanser before a water-based cleanser. I feel the city, makeup, and sunscreen get thoroughly removed. With wipes, I feel like I am always causing friction on my skin. But again, call me crazy, I prefer to not even use a towel to dry my face off... Hope this helps!!

RE: Makeup wipes or Double-Cleanse???

Yes! I totally feel that way at times @6come6!!

I double cleanse by default and save makeup wipes for "emergencies" (hey, they're better than falling asleep with your makeup on). Good wipes will do the main job, but they're never going to get down into your pores like an oil/balm does so over time things are going to build up if you only use wipes.

Right now I'm using the Farmacy or Ole balm as first cleanse, and the Korres yogurt for second cleanse. I think if you find a double-cleanse combo that works for you, the oil step won't cause any issues. I'd be more concerned with making sure your second step isn't too drying, or your skin might step up oil production to compensate.

I'm with the ladies when it comes to double cleansing. Also the alcohol in most wipes can be drying. For lazy days, I actually keep a small bottle of micellar water next to my bed so I can remove my makeup and still be lazy. @KrishAtl @fieldsofclover

RE: Re: Makeup wipes or Double-Cleanse???

Thanks @fieldsofclover & @Kim888. I am definitely going to figure out an appropriate makeup remover wash for me. I fell like I have maxed my makeup spend for this month! Might have to wait till June, but I guess this gives me time to figure out what to purchase...

I agree - I only really use makeup wipes now if I come home late/drunk and it's between not taking my makeup off at all and that. I do have to say I used to use them all the time and I noticed a definite change for the better when I started double cleansing. 

@KrishAtl  

I agree with @quspork. I like Tatcha's cleansing oil for a first cleanse. Another great one is the OleHenriksen Uncover the Truth 3-in-1 Melting Cleanser - that one goes from a gel to oil to milk.  I have combo, dehydrated, sensitive skin and these cleansers haven't caused any problems. 

RE: Re: Makeup wipes or Double-Cleanse???

Oohhh! The Ole sounds interesting @itsfi. Will have to check it out!

Re: RE: Re: Makeup wipes or Double-Cleanse???

@KrishAtl For what it's worth, I'm near the end of a jar of the IT Cosmetics balm right now, and the second I use it up I'm going back to buying the Ole one again. It's much better, imo.

I don't know if they're specifically a no-no with KB, but I prefer to limit their use to late nights when I just can't bear to wash (aka too many glasses of wine, LOL). Mostly that's because I've never been that happy with the performance of wipes though. They either don't do a great job of getting everything off or have been too harsh for my skin. I love oil-based cleansers because they are much more gentle (for me) and very efficient. But if they work for you, then that's what matters! 

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 60 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing