cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Rough face

Hi,

I have an extremely rough face. I have used multiple products and exfoliators but nothing helps. The roughness is from inside the skin under the skin layers when I touch my face I feel the roughness from the inside. I don't know how to treat my rough skin and how to solve this problem. I am 28 years old.  Any idea will be appreciated. 

Re: Rough face

@beautifulgigi   Which products are you using in your routine?   

Softening skin can be accomplished even while you have texture by moisturizing your skin while it’s still wet and using a lightweight face oil.  

Soft skin tends to be skin that’s well-hydrated.

Exfoliating is great once or twice a week to remove any dead skin cells that may be clinging on to reveal the fresh layer of skin underneath, but too much exfoliation can be drying which will lead to flakey sensitive skin which tends to feel more rough to the touch.

…. Is it that your skin surface is smooth and you can feel bumps underneath?  

Re: Rough face

Looks like your skin barrier is broken! First thing to do is avoiding ingredients that dry out your skin, like alcohol, and limiting the BHA and AHA (exfoliators) use. Also, good sun protection is essential- the sun is a deadly laser that dries everything (hats, sunglasses, SPF 50+). Look into your soap too: most of them have a high pH, which dries the skin. I use Avène Cold Cream Cleasing Bar, which has a 5.5 pH (same as skin), which has solved a lot of broken skin barrier/very dry skin for me. For your face cleanser, look into hydrating cleansers (Cerave, LRP, Avène, etc.) that won't strip off these precious oils it needs.

What you want is to up your moisturizer game. Look for ingredients like hyaluronic acid (The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydrating Serum), glycerin, and urea (provided you don't have rosacea). Look for peptides and fatty oils (skin-identical ingredients that will help restore your barrier). I've been using Kiehl's Since 1851 Ultra Facial Refillable Moisturizing Cream with Squalane as well as Hydroboost Night Cream from Neutrogena, but I personally don't find them hydrating enough on their own (they're too gel-y). I need to use an occlusive (such as Vaseline, Nivea Crème, Eucerin 30% Urea, Aquaphor, etc.) on top, which locks the moisture in. But I've received a sample of Bioderma Atoderm Intensive Body Balm and I have to say I'm very pleased. It's similar to Cerave Moisturizing Lotion, but with a bit more peptides and fatty oils.

Keep your routine as basic as possible while you heal. Cleanse, moisturize, apply SPF. Remove irritants, moisturize, and protect from environmental damage. 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing