From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club

Trying to use makeup for the first time!

I never got into makeup growing up so I’ve been “bare face” for 20 years now HOWEVER I have always struggled with acne. My acne is wayyy better than it was years ago, but it’s still there (mainly cheeks and jawline and some real ugly ones once in a while). Definitely hormonal but nothing too much. I’d say mild hormonal acne. 
i want to try makeup out but I don’t want to go full on just because I’ve never liked the feeling of having something on my face. Any recommendations for light makeup that will help with any redness or just make my skin look even and less dull? I do struggle with my nose getting dry. 
im thinking of using tower28 skin tint or anything down that route. Any potential to prevent my skin looking like I have something on it too (obviously impossible but I’m sure there’s some light products out there). 
I’m of light more slightly medium ish brown complexion (ig caramel? Sorry I’m new to this lol) 

Re: Trying to use makeup for the first time!

@JJKN, have you ever tried a concealer as foundation?  You could apply one shade to conceal your acne and another shade to areas where you want coverage and then blend.  Some concealers can be buffed out to a nice light finish, and if you need a little extra coverage, use of a finishing powder can do wonders.

Natasha Denona Hy-Glam Brightening & Hydrating Medium to Full Coverage Crease Proof Serum Concealer(Haven't tried, watched Wayne Goss use it and it looks lovely)

Jouer Cosmetics Essential High Coverage Liquid Concealer(There used to be more shades, not sure if the line is reformulating or leaving 😑)

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer Caramel

SEPHORA COLLECTION Translucent Loose Setting Powder 0.61 oz/ 17.29 g(If you're oily, you may want a settign powder, gives a matte finish)

SEPHORA COLLECTION MicroSmooth Baked Powder Foundation 

Hourglass Ambient® Lighting Finishing Powder 

Re: Trying to use makeup for the first time!

@JJKN I'd say that the Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Foundation is a great place to start for a base product.  *Keep in mind that even though it contains SPF you'll probably still want to double up on your sunscreen.  Another option in a similar vein is the Summer Fridays Sheer Skin Tint with Hyaluronic Acid + Squalane or even a lightweight foundation like the Estée Lauder Futurist Hydra Rescue Moisturizing Foundation SPF 45 3W2 Cashew or the Yves Saint Laurent NU BARE LOOK TINT Hydrating Skin Tint Foundation with Hyaluronic Acid 9 (ignore the specific shades).

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing