cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Tretinoin prescribed

Spoiler

Hi, I just was prescribed tretinoin and clindamycin from my doctor. I have had this mild flaring acne around my mouth in my laugh lines mostly that I can’t get a hold of. The tretinoin is not covered by my insurance and so I am curious if there is an OTC item that would work well for me ? 

Re: Tretinoin prescribed

@missmroseg

Breaking out is a natural initial reaction to any Vitamin A super-dosed skincare -- as the cells turnover at a faster rate, they get clogged, also it is pushing up all the extra sebum you have -- essentially what tretinoin and its sister in pill form (Accutane, Isotretinoin) do is PURGE YOUR SKIN.

Give it about 3-4 weeks and it should stop. If this purge lasts more than 6 weeks total, contact your doctor.

You should be forewarned that if you pick at that acne since the DNA is changing in your skin and your skin is also being thinned while on this (I assume topical medication) - that the scarring will remain, quite possibly, for the rest of your life. Not good. The skin is extra prone to scarring right now.

I would seriously consider asking your doctor to prescribe topical Epi-Duo and another medication called Spironolactone. Spironolactone (a steroid, but taken for a short time you will be OK) is typically used for other medical ailments but OFF LABEL it helps adult acne in women. (Because it blocks both aldosterone and testosterone and has a little estrogen-like effect.)

That is what I would do to avoid permanent scarring. After you are past the purge you can put on whatever you want. I am just concerned because I don't want you to have permanent scarring. Antibiotics are not sufficient.

V21988

Oh! P.S. you can get tretinoin and clindamycin in your curology formula! Same ingredients. My skin was clear before the pandemic because of curology. It helps a lot with my stress breakouts now too, curology plus the acne patches is keeping my skin stable! 🙂 I also recommend Origins skinfix as a weekly or twice weekly mask and spot fade treatment for acne scars. When I can afford it I use the Origins mask weekly and as a spot treatment for my acne that’s left red scarring. Hope this is helpful in saving a few dollars!

Hi curology is much cheaper- like $25 - 40 a month- depending if you get the small or large bottle. It’s prescription And you get to chat with a dermatologist.  Not the same as in person I’m sure, but works well for me. I use the cream as a spot treatment and it works well. I like their face wash too and the light moisturizer is good for layering with my tatcha serums. I didn’t like their heavy moisturizer because it pills up badly over serums.

Also Acnedote patches by Alba Botanica are fairly cheap and gently treat breakouts - plus keep me from picking! 

Hope this helps!

Oh! P.S. you can get tretinoin and clindamycin in your curology formula! Same ingredients. My skin was clear before the pandemic because of curology. It helps a lot with my stress breakouts now too, curology plus the acne patches is keeping my skin stable! 🙂 I also recommend Origins skinfix as a weekly or twice weekly mask and spot fade treatment for acne scars. When I can afford it I use the origins mask. 

Tretinoin wasn't covered by my insurance either @missmroseg , I want to say it was around 80$ in Ontario Canada.  As far as I'm aware, there isn't an exact dupe, however if you're using it for acne, you may want to try Differin Gel, I've only bought this in the US at about 20$ a tube.  It's a prescription product in Canada, however in the US it's available over the counter at Walmart/Ulta/Pharmacies.  Both are in the same family of medicines, retinoids, I believe that the Tretinoin is slightly more effective, however Differin is easier to tolerate for some people.  My dermatologist prescribed the Differin first, then once I was accustomed to that I moved up to the Tretinoin.  I would suggest doing some google searches for Differin vs Tretinoin and asking your doctor how he/she feels about starting out with the less expensive medication. 

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing