Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Looking for a very light foundation just to even out redness in my sensitive, combination, sweaty skin

I have sensitive, combination skin and am always battling redness. I used to always wear more medium-to-full coverage foundations but over the pandemic I stopped wearing makeup entirely except for special occasions. I am looking for a foundation (or possibly tinted moisturizer or something like that?) to even out my skin tone but I don't really care about looking completely flawless. Also I am a sweaty girlie, and inevitably at some point during the day - especially in summer - I will sweat a bunch of it off. When I wear heavier foundations I end up with splotchy curdled skin, and I'd also like to try and avoid that and find something that will be less obvious if that happens. 

I also find it challenging to colour-match - while I have a lot of redness in my skin, I do not have pink undertones otherwise. I need something that is pretty neutral - maybe leaning olive but not too much. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! 

Re: Looking for a very light foundation just to even out redness in my sensitive, combination, sweaty skin

@ashleyel one of my all-time favs is the #beautyblender 12-Hour Always on Radiant Skin Tint with Hyaluronic Acid & Niacinamide  It feels good and lightweight and actually provides decent coverage without looking heavy.

Re: Looking for a very light foundation just to even out redness in my sensitive, combination, sweaty skin

Hi @ashleyel. Have you tried tackling the redness with skincare? Tower 28 Beauty SOS Intensive Redness Relief Serum 2 oz / 59 mL or Tower 28 Beauty Mini SOS Daily Rescue Facial Spray 1 oz/ 30 mL can help reduce redness and is made for sensitive skin.

@ashleyel  Summer Fridays Sheer Skin Tint with Hyaluronic Acid + Squalane , bareMinerals COMPLEXION RESCUE™ Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream SPF 30 , MERIT The Minimalist Perfecting Complexion Foundation and Concealer Stick Amber , or Charlotte Tilbury light wonder foundation.

@ashleyel   I feel your pain! Not so much due to sweating in the summer sun, but due to having hot flashes and feeling like I'm about to burst into flame. My skin isn't hugely sensitive, but I do get redness and I have combo skin. For all these reasons, I go with a powder foundation, applied with a foundation brush to get lighter coverage than with using a sponge. Quick, easy, forgiving. My current powder foundation is MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation though I'm not sure what colour to suggest for you. If you can get into a store, I'd request having a Sephora store associate do your Color IQ. That said, powder foundation is more forgiving than liquid foundation when it comes to colour matching if applied lightly.

I used to do spot coverage of the redness if I were going for a more flawless look (e.g., for an occasion like dinner out). The product I used to use is no longer sold at Sephora (drat it) - being very fair of complexion, I needed a yellow colour to correct redness. But there are tons of options out there for colour correction, like:

MAC Cosmetics Studio Correct and Conceal Palettes 

MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Underpainting Color Correction Palette 

MAKE UP FOR EVER Color Correcting Step 1 Primers 

You might even prefer trying the Step 1 Primer and skipping the powder foundation.

Hope this helps! 💋

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing