Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Light Skinned South Asians

Hello! For those of you south Asians with light skin: do you have a problem with people matching you to foundations that are far darker than you really are? For me, people are always inclined to match me to medium toned foundations, which are always at least three shades too dark for my skin. I was curious to see if any of you had this problem.

Re: Light Skinned South Asians

Thats never happend to me 😳. Sometimes I'm given a shade with pink undertones. My veins are really green/blue, so I appear more pale. 

I'm pretty light. I usually get a light shade with a golden undertone. 

Yeah definitely. They just assume you are the same shade as the last southeast asian woman they just matched when in actuality, my skin tone is way lighter but have a golden undertone which confuses the person matching me. It is definitely worst in Singapore though where majority are not of Indian origin.

Re: Light Skinned South Asians

i’ve found that a lot of asians and latinas have similar undertones - OLIVE !!!!! see about becca “olive” it’s not yellow or pink or neutral. it’s a perfect olive. for a more matte, see if morphe fluidity f2.50 is good. definitly olive tones tho. not light not dark, its such nice mediums. also, Elf has a good one, Cashew to see if olive tones are the best for you for only $6.00 

As a far east Asian I find the opposite lol, people tend to try to match me to lighter shades and then go ohhhhh that's not going to work. I struggle mainly with finding the perfect undertone for my foundation which is why I tend to mix several together for the perfect match.

So I originally wrote a very long draft for this in my notes lol. If you need help shade matching and want a more in-depth explanation, I can post the rest. I'm not South Asian but I've noticed that most Asians in general are matched poorly, usually darker. I'm a mix of Southeast, East, and white. I almost always get matched to a medium-tan when in reality, I fall under light-medium, emphasis on the light part. I think the common misconception in the Western world is that Asians, as a whole, are warm with yellow undertones. Asians do tend to have more surface yellowness but having more yellow doesn't make someone darker. Think about mixing paint, you add more yellow to white and you get a stronger tint, but the color itself doesn't get darker. It only gets darker if you add brown (melanin in terms of skin). Same concept applies to people who have strong red tones to their skin. Adding more red doesn't make them darker, it's just more red. You need brown to make it deepen in shade. I am not a makeup artist but I'm familiar with mixing and layering paints and pigments to get colors that look like skin. Generally, everyone, regardless of race, is a mix of peach and olive, just at varying degrees of red, yellow, and blue. To lighten, add white and to deepen the shade, you add more RYB.

RE: Light Skinned South Asians

Exactly!
6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing