Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

How to control shine after makeup?

Looking for a way to prevent shine post application.

Right now I use  Pore-fessional then color correct then apply some concealer then apply Too Faced Born This Way Foundation then use some colored setting powder and I still get shine while my face IRL looks cakey. 

Any thoughts? Oh and for the most part I use a Beauty Blender with a makeup brush to touchup in case I miss any spots. 

Re: How to control shine after makeup?

I use Laura Mercier setting powder on top of my makeup, which does not make me look cakey at all:

https://www.sephora.com/product/invisible-loose-setting-powder-P277510?icid2=products%20grid:p277510...

For touchups during the day, I use this PTR powder, which is so easy to use on the go:

https://www.sephora.com/product/oily-problem-skin-instant-mineral-powder-spf-30-P235909

So many good ideas on how to combat shine! When I find myself having troubles with oil or that foundation simply looks shinier than I would like, I will start with the COVER FX - Mattifying Primer With Anti-Acne Treatment. Then, after applying my foundation, I'll set it with the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Translucentas well as the Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Makeup Setting Spray Standard Size - 4 oz/ 118 mL. I hope one of these works for you! 

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely try these products out during my next visit! 

TOO FACED - Primed & Poreless Pressed Powder- I have a super oily t-zone and would be shiny within an hour using regular primer. I now use this as the primer base in my T-zone and just kept using my Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer 1.35 oz/ 40 mLevery where else, but the best part is the powder can be used both to prime and set, so after I've got all my makeup on, I just go back over my T-zone with the powder and it is awesome and super matte. I consider the Primed & Poreless Pressed Powder my miracle product. 🙂 

Hi, @gabpedroza

If you are looking for something to control oil/shine, you might want to take a look at the foundation you are using. Born This Way has moisturizers, and gives a radiant finish. Foundations like the TOO FACED - Peach Perfect Comfort Matte Foundation – Peaches and Cream Collectionor the Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation 4W4 Hazelare intended to provide a more matte finish.

Not sure what setting powder you are using, but there are also mattifying setting powders you could try. 

A mattifying setting spray could also help. Something like Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray 4 oz/ 118 mLis intended to control oil and shine. You can also find some good, less-expensive matte setting sprays by NYX and Catrice.

@gabpedroza It could also be the setting powder that you’re using! I use the TOO FACED - Peach Perfect Mattifying Setting Powder – Peaches and Cream Collection, which is specifically made to address oil and shine, and I have no issues with that throughout the day! I have also used the COVER FX - Matte Setting PowderaNd tried the MILK MAKEUP - Blur + Set Matte Loose Setting Powder. I find that the powders specifically designed for oilier skin were much more effective compared to others, like the KVD (which I actually didn’t like at all), or the Laura Mercier (which I like but can only wear on days when my skin is on the drier side)

@gabpedroza You might need to use a primer to prevent shine control like MAC Skin Refined Zone or Make Up For Ever Mattifying Primer and URBAN DECAY - All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray to set everything.

It could also be the foundation isn't working for your skin type.

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing