Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Foundation breaking up on nose

Hi friends! So it has been such a struggle with me and foundation. I have very dry skin but an oily t-zone and have struggled with finding a foundation that doesn't break up on the nose, leaving splotchy patches. I've tried everything from a million different foundations, primers, and powders. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Re: Foundation breaking up on nose

1st make sure you are moisturizing! Combo skin is better tamed if you are doing this. I recommend Murad's Mattifying Moisturizer.

Couple of things you can try:

1. 2 different foundations! yup! that's right. I use a powder foundation on my nose and chin and a liquid foundation every where else. I recommend dermablend intense powder foundation. It has the best coverage i have found from both high end and pharmacy brand powder foundations. It also can be used wet or dry and thus works well with a liquid foundation where they overlap on your face.

2. Use an eye primer on your nose and chin. this stuff is like foundation super glue. I prefer too faced's eye primer. I use this kind of primer on my nose and chin when i need my makeup to last longer than 8 hours.

3. use 2 primers! an Hourglass employee told me to do this one day and I was like 'what???' then i watched Manny MUA do this as well on YouTube. I will use a mattifying primer over my moisturizer, then add a pore minimizing primer on top of that to help the foundation go on smoothly.

4. Match your foundation with your primer! Like another reply said, primers are not universal. My mattifying primer from makeup forever DOES NOT work with my Dior Airflash. Instead of just reading ingredient lists I've just started buying the matching primers to different foundations i use (with some exceptions i.e. the eye primer). I also use OC 8 a mattifying primer and put the matching brand primer over it (you can get OC 8 on amazon...sorry Sephora! hint hint please stock this). Using the appropriate primer helped with my slippage.

5. don't use silica based primers! It took me too long and too much $$ trying to figure out why too faced and smash box's primers weren't working! they are silica based. great for dry skin not great for oily skin/combo skin. How people use these and don't have slippage is beyond me. just say no. go for a water based primer.  

6. press your foundation. press your foundation. press your foundation. period. call it what you will, stipple, dab, press, use this technique on your oily areas instead of pulling or wiping your foundation. do this with your setting powder too. 

7. use setting powder and sprays. 

@Jessicah7889 YESSSS!!!! OK, I hope you have MAC Soft Ochre or Painterly in your collection. If not, go get it! lol. Then, put a thin layer of it on your nose instead of any primer before your foundation. I'm telling you...it will make the foundation stick on your nose life superglue! It's probably one of the best beauty hacks out there and IT WORKS. I promise.

RE: Foundation breaking up on nose

You can try to “press” the powder in your t-zone by dipping a beauty sponge into powder and then pressing onto skin. It locks it into place much more than just dusting it over with a brush.

I used to have this problem too, found that looking at the ingredients in my primer and foundation make a big difference. If one is a water based and the other is an Oil based product they won't mix well and it sill start to 'slip'. 

If thats not the problem then it could be hydration, if your not getting enough water, Or your skincare. I found a huge difference when I started using AHA/BHA's and Vit C. Really looking at the skin before the makeup made a huge difference in my makeup! 

Hope this helps! 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing