Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Coconut Alkanes

I just purchased the Protini Peptide moisturizer from DE and was so excited to use it until I noticed that there is coconut alkanes in it. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Why is this ingredient in almost everything? If there's one thing I know, my skin hates coconut oil. Now, I do use the Honeydrop moisturizer, Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, and Algenist Genius Collagen serum, all of which have coconut derivatives close to the bottom of the ingredients list, and my skin LOVES those products. But I've also used products with coconut derivatives closer to the top of the ingredients list that broke me out like crazy IE: Sunday Riley Tidal cream and Herbivore Lapis Oil just for two examples. I have not used a product with coconut alkanes though. Is this the same as coconut oil? My skin seems to tolerate caprylyl glycol if it's close to the bottom of the ingredients list, but any other coconut derivative and it's zit city. Should I not even bother with this moisturizer, or should it be okay given it's pretty far down the list? Any product with coconut-anything in it always makes me feel like I have to brace myself for the worst. 

EDIT: Oh great, I just realized that Coco-Caprylate/Caprate is also in this product.

Re: Coconut Alkanes

I go into a lot of depth on all my YouTube Videos because I have extremely sensitive acne prone skin! I just went off in my community post about these companies using coconut alkanes in every product these days and influencers not being more responsible with researching ingredients before promoting a product! My channel is Kristi Allure on Youtube. Have 44yro mature, sensitive acne prone skin so I do a big in depth review on every product that I discuss on my channel. Ever since I removed Caprylic triglyceride and any other coconut alkane I stopped breaking out! My skin cleared up! Unfortunately they are cheap ingredients that help extend shelf-life so I'm noticing a lot more companies using it. Yes they have benefits to those not prone to breaking out or have enlarged pore but for those that do it is definitely something to stay away from! There's many articles that are funded and promoted from a brand that say it's not comedogenic but if you really dig deep you will see that this is not great for those of us that break out! 

I’m also very acne prone and Capric Caprylic Triglycerides doesn’t break me out, yet I’m prone to breakouts from other ingredients that are not considered pore clogging. 

I always look to see where the pore clogging ingredient is on the ingredient list. Some ingredients are strictly for marketing purposes and near the bottom of the ingredient list at 1% or less and non-issue. 

Every single time I have used this product I have broken out terribly. I don’t know why I keep trying. 

I also break out from the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue and Tarte Rainforest of the Sea foundation. 

I don’t break out from Sunday Riley Tidal though. 

It breaks me out too! The Cetearyl Olivate is an acne trigger for me and when there are several types of peptides in one product, it can trigger breakouts. I’m always cautious when a product has more than two peptides. 

Hi! 
I am just realizing the coconut derivatives lurking in the “clean” products I have bought. I own a ton of Biossance and it hasn’t bothered me, but I have been breaking out from the Ilia Skin Tint for 3 wks and I think it’s Capryly Glycol! Has anyone experienced this? Thank you!! 

Hey there, i checked on Google for that ingredient, and its supposedly volatile, meaning it evaporates and doesnt get absorbed into the skin.

I also read that its considered as a natural silicone, but then natural doesnt always means better.

Its in a product i want to try too, the Bare Mineral Blemish something matte primer.

Ill be looking more into it and will also maybe create a review on that product once i try it.

I found the information on the "incidecoder" website, where they list alot of products that have that ingredient in them. 

Hi! Thanks so much for getting back to me! 
This is so hard - I agree with you that closer to the top or bottom the Coconut derivative is - can either break me out or not. 
Lmk about your Bareminerals product. I also have been eyeing the Bareminerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Moisturizer with Spf but the number 2 ingredient is Coconut Alkanes!!

Even mineral sunscreens have it - which I want to try but I’m nervous.

Keep me posted!!

Thought to share this article

Coconut Alkanes

I vote Not worth the breakouts! "Clean" products can't seem to come out without coconut bases. I tried silicone-free makeup last year and found ... I value clear skin more! Never had a problem with fungal acne before the deep dive and only now, a year later, am finally almost rid of the havoc. 😦 If something doesn't work for you, it doesn't work! It's not worth sacrificing your skin.

If you have any sensitivity to coconut, you will have a higher chance of having the same sort of reaction with this. 

- has allergies to tree nuts, peanuts and coconut. I am annoyed by how many things have changed formulas to put almond oil and coconut oil/ water/ based things in products now. even eyeshadows can have coconut oil in them.

RE: Coconut Alkanes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who struggles with coconut alkanes. With so many people having untoward reactions to coconut alkanes, it’s beyond me why companies continue to put coconut alkanes and/or derivatives in their products. I suppose because of the hype with coconut oil these days. The struggle is real!

Re: RE: Coconut Alkanes

It really is! Especially when a product is really good otherwise, and your skin would probably love it without those derivatives thrown in - but all it takes is one ingredient or two for your skin to go crazy. It's so frustrating!

Coconut Alkanes

ok I came on here to post pretty much about the same thing only because I've been using protini on and off for the last month. I've put it back in its box to return it and took it back out countless times because soo many people love it and I feel like I should too lol. BUT I'm now pretty certain it does NOT agree with my acne prone skin and I'm suspecting it's the coconut alkanes. I also react negatively to anything coconut in skincare. I believe we may fall into the minority for whom this cream does not work. LALA retro on the other hand is working wonderfully for my skin. it actually feels lighter and sinks in better than protini which is strange because it goes against what most reviews are saying.

I use lala also although more people like protini. Another reason, I no longer use Protini is due to the growth factors which are controversial (cancer)

Oh no, I was afraid that would be the case. I think you and I fall into the same camp. I still really want to try it, but I have finally gotten my skin under control enough that I can go without makeup most days and feel okay about it, and I'm SO afraid of my skin reverting back. Your input makes me even more hesitant to try it, but you may have just saved me from months of grief too if this product does indeed trigger the breakout I dread. Thank you.  

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
testing