Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

Extreme Weather Skincare

This might be a long shot, but I don't know unless I try. Anyone have experience with extreme cold weather skincare? In addition to skiing and outdoor activities I try to go on at least one expedition per year, up to a month out in the cold. I am half Asian half Caucasian and my skin (at sea level 😉 is combination. I am ALSO skincare obsessed but I haven't found the right products to support my skin on this adventures, so in the end, it amounts to me trying to make up for the damage I incur after the fact with lasers and facials. Obviously, sun protection is important (I have to keep sunscreen inside the layer closest to my body to get it to thaw out, then put in on) but a water-free source of moisture that doesn't freeze would be amazing. But also something non-clogging because there is no running water to wash my face. (What I do is bring cleansing cloths and, like the SPF, warm them next to my body so I can wipe my face down every few days.) Just hoping someone has some bright ideas! I only get to test "potential solutions" out 1-3 times per year. Thanks!

Re: Extreme Weather Skincare

@aburrill Are you a backpacker too??

I love using facial oils like The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane 1 oz/ 30 mL or shea butter as moisturizer. I just use a cleansing cloth too for cleanser. 

Hello there! Funny enough, I just placed my first order of The Ordinary products! I am a hiker and backpacker but also into the high alpine stuff. My climbing partner and I summited Denali in May 2018. That was quite a doozy for the skin, but well worth it in the end! The cloths are lifesavers, for sure!

@aburrill Wooo, congrats on summitting Denali!! That's an impressive ascent! I'm afraid of falling so Mt. Russell is definitely crossed out for me, but I'm still trying to find the time to do Mt. Whitney

I can't believe I forgot another good product for extreme weather. Aquaphor! Easier to use than shea butter and available almost anywhere.

@aburrill  I generally try not to stay out in the cold more than needed, like @CheerMomma  mentioned, I also live in 40 below temperatures for several months out of the year. Add in some wind chill and my face takes a beating on days where I work outside. Sunscreen is a must for me as well, and I find to help with the ‘burn’ feeling, the Drunk Elephant Lippe is nice. I carry it in my inside pocket and apply it all over my face as a moisturizer/barrier creme. It is billed as an eye balm, and I’ve found that the method of application straight out of the tube helps me to not need to rub my face with my hands. The DE lippe is also a clean product so it shouldn’t be too too bad to not wipe off nightly shorter term. I do find that an amazing sheet mask at night helps as well, but if you’re not headed back somewhere warm at night they might not be practical as most would cool your face once they’re on.  I’d try looking into sunscreen in balm format as well. The ease of application from the sticks are nice. Im curious as to what you end up trying and other suggestions! 

I don't have any overnighters coming up in the near future (well, who knows, never say never) but you guys have given me some good tips and products to start with. I will return to this thread and let you all know if anything really blows my mind. Going to look at more "BALMS." Thanks again!

Canadian here! Summers +40’, winters -40’. Winter I get very dehydrated from the cold outside and the indoor heating. I use a humidifier while sleeping/indoors. For face - Belif moisture bomb in the day and at night add an oil like Josie Marian argon oil, Tatcha Rice Enzyme powder to exfoliate, ponds cold cream to remove makeup, For lips Bite Beauty Agave lip mask applied frequently. Kiel’s midnight recovery eye cream. For body - Body shop Shea body butter.; dry brushing before a shower feels amazing and shower with loccitane almond shower oil.  Hair can get very dry and static, so I wipe it with a bounce sheet lol. 

These are amazing tips/product recommendations. Looks like I'll be placing another Sephora order!

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing