Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Cheeky Cheeks

How do I wear cream blush?

Hi all, I've gotten a couple of cream blushes to try out, but I haven't used them yet because I'm not sure how to apply them! I wear a powder foundation, so my usual powder blush would go over top. But putting cream on top of powder seems wrong, and putting foundation on top of my blush doesn't seem right either! Do you put cream blush on bare skin and call it good? Please enlighten me. LOL. Thanks!

Re: How do I wear cream blush?

For me the best way to apply your blush is with a brush and at the end i go with my beauty blender to make a more natural seemless look

Sometimes when I'm in a rush I go for the one - tone all over the face look (matching lip, eyes and/ or cheeks that's popular these days for the low maintenance put together look), dabbing a tiny dot of a creamy lipstick that I know my skin and eyes are happy with (because not all lipsticks are eye safe) and just lightly tapping it around the parts of the face you want to apply it to is something I have come to like doing. I know it's a classic trick to use red lipstick on the cheeks, but using any color as long as you like the end result works just as well.
The Tower 28 Beauty It's a Mauve-ment Lip Gloss + Cream Blush Duo Set and CLINIQUE Cheek Pop Blush Black Honey + CLINIQUE Almost Lipstick Black Honey has been popularized a lot, and I can vouch for the Clinique black honey being lovely to just put a pop of on the cheeks and nose tip.

So maybe try a lipstick or 2, or tinted lip balm, to see if you enjoy putting the cream texture on at all before deciding on committing to a cream blush.

@Westcoasty @You can apply cream over powder. Patrick Ta does it in his videos. Makeup really doesn’t have rules. I would say give it a try and see how you like it. I would use a brush or beauty blender to apply and don’t swipe the product on. Use dabbing motions and press the product in. 

@SportyGirly125    Thanks so much! I'll have to see if I can find the Patrick Ta video. I know makeup doesn't really have rules; it just seems to me like the cream blush would pick up the powder foundation and get a bit mucky as a result.

Thanks for the application tips as well - I would have swiped it on with my fingers. LOL

@Westcoasty @I have worn cream blush after I set my foundation with powder on top and it really depends on how you apply it. I also like to set it with a colored blush powder on top and Patrick Ta makes great blush duos. 

@SportyGirly125   It definitely seems like some experimentation is required! I'm not sure how much makeup I can wear on my aging skin without it looking like I've plastered it on, but no harm in trying it out in front of the bathroom mirror, right? I've got a peachy cream blush (can't recall what brand, as I'm visiting friends and didn't bring it with me), and the Benefit peach powder blush. Maybe they'd go well together. Thank you!

@Westcoasty - Don't let your age stop you!  I'm 58 and wear a full face without it looking like makeup.  I apply cream blush by tapping a brush on the blush and then lightly swiping just under my cheekbone (over my powder) starting at my ear.  After that, I lightly apply a powder blush in a similar color to set the cream.  I dedicate a specific brush to the cream blush, just so I'm not mixing my powder and cream brushes.

@Titian06You're the same age as me, so I find that very encouraging! Thank you.

Great tip for keeping a separate brush for cream blushes - I'm sure my Sephora addiction has allowed me to accumulate some extra brushes. LOL

Well, this is all quite exciting, TBH. I stopped wearing makeup during the pandemic, and began again when I got a new job, only for various reasons I stopped again (including that it was a manufacturing environment and I wanted to fit in). But now I've been laid off and I want to get back into wearing makeup, so that my routine is easy and practiced before I begin my next job.

I went to put on makeup the other day, and discovered that my mascara has gone gloppy and my Anastasia Beverly Hills DIPBROW® Gel Tinted Waterproof Eyebrow Gel Ash Brown has dried out, so clearly I need to get some new products as well...gosh, what a shame.... LOL

@Westcoasty - I did the same:  stopped wearing makeup during the pandemic (except for eyebrows, I have trichotillomania) and then started wearing makeup again when I went back to work.  I made some changes to my routine and, yea, had to replace some products too. 😄  I think my routine is more streamlined now...maybe??? 🙃

Just remember, it's your face, not theirs--you do what you want! 😘

@Titian06   I agree, it's my face and I should be able to paint it in leopard spots if I want. LOL. I was bullied as a kid so still tend to avoid doing things where I imagine someone might mock me, but I can see that I take it to excess at times. The other part of it, though, was struggling with depression and apathy after getting dumped in a zero-fun way. My self-confidence took a nose-dive. But I'm working on moving past all of that, and that includes putting my best face forward. 😊

I knew a girl with trich when I was in school - she pulled out all her eyelashes. I'm thinking that as an adult, she could wear false eyelashes. If you're okay with me asking, what do you do for your brows? Please don't answer if it feels too personal or vulnerable, but I can assure you there is zero judgement on my part. We all have our struggles. Mine are usually depression and anxiety, since I was 11 (oddly enough, that's how old I was when the bullying started...coincidence? Doubtful).

@Westcoasty - First, if you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me!  I'm bipolar, chronic depression, anxiety and panic attacks.  I've been this way since I was 10ish, but not diagnosed until my 30s.  I pull out my eyebrows and eyelashes.  For my eyebrows, I use:

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Primer Colorless Wax Pencil 0.1 oz/ 2.5 mL 

Urban Decay Brow Blade 2-in-1 Eyebrow Pen + Waterproof Pencil Taupe Trap (my favorite)

SEPHORA COLLECTION Retractable EyeBrow Pencil - Waterproof 1.5 Taupe (for the price, my new favorite)

I freehand draw on my eyebrows.  I used to use Dipbrow and Duo Powder, but the Dipbrow is not very forgiving.  As I said above, during the pandemic my routine changed a bit and this was one of my changes.  I wanted something quicker.  I'm much happier with how my eyebrows look now.

For eyelashes, I don't do anything.  I've thought about false lashes, but I worry I would start pulling at the false lashes! 😄  It doesn't bother me too much.  Sometimes I wish I could wear mascara and eyeliner because it really adds the finishing touch to an eye look.  Then I remember all the time I save by not using those products! 😁

@Titian06   Thank you so much for the offer to PM you if I need to! That's very kind, and I offer the same to you.

Thank you, as well, for explaining how you do your brows. I'm going to take a look at the Urban Decay pencil as it sounds intriguing. I agree that Dipbrow isn't very forgiving - if I'm not careful, I get a big glop of product where I first place the brush. But I like it better than the pomade, and it's been my quick brow fix in recent years.

Good point about saving time by not wearing mascara and eyeliner! I usually skip eyeliner unless I'm going out in the evening, but mascara really perks up my face. However, it's also the biggest PITA to remove at the end of the day so that I don't have panda eyes the next morning. Do you wear eyeshadow, or do you skip that as well? I'm imagining a smoky eye, only in shades of brown and taupe, on you, somehow.

@Westcoasty - I love neutrals, so you're spot on.  Over the years I've been trying to expand my range of colors.  You should join us, even if it's just to view, on the Makeup Challenge of the Week thread.  My skills have improved considerably since participating in this thread.

To answer your question, yes, I wear eyeshadow.  I probably go overboard.  It's a makeup product I really love.

To remove my makeup, I like Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mL It also works to remove eye and lip products.  Afterwards, use your regular cleanser.

Another great eye makeup remover that I keep on hand is Lancôme Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover 13.5 oz / 400 mL .  I also use it to remove lipstick or swatches.

@Titian06  I had this lovely post all written last night, only I went to post it and discovered there was no internet! (Long story.) So this is round two. 😊

I was definitely thinking that I should join the Makeup of the Week Challenge, just to get my hand back in. I'm not sure about the Barbie challenge - I don't have that kind of colour in my travel bag, and possibly not at all. But next week, hopefully, when I'll be back home and will have access to my full hoard.

Nothing wrong with wearing lots of eyeshadow! To slightly misquote you, your face, your rules. LOL

I also like neutrals, but want to add some colours I know are flattering to my complexion, like deep blue, deep green, and teal to my face. And maybe some coppery tones, as well. I need to practice making that work on my somewhat hooded eyes, though. Aging is just oh so fun! *snort*

I've used the Farmacy balm, but I guess where I went wrong was in not following up with my regular cleanser (NIvea micellar water, as it happens). The balm is a bit too heavy to leave on my skin. I'll try it again - pretty sure I've still got a couple of unopened trial sizes.

As for the Lancome eye makeup remover, the small size is on sale right now, so I've added it to my basket. Maybe it'll make life easier - something I'm always looking for. LOL. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 31 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing