Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

The BIC Plant and Gardening Thread

Hello BIC friends and fellow gardeners! Whether you have a container on your balcony, some indoor plants, a whole garden, or even if you just happen to visit a botanical garden or see a lovely space or plant in your neighborhood you want to share, this is the place! Please share pics, tips, plans and tricks about all things gardening!  

For many years I had a container balcony garden with mostly flowers and herbs (when travel allowed), and I am now embarking on my first backyard landscaping and gardening journey. 

I am often taking inspiration from the natural world around me and have recently had some spring inspiration for the Makeup Challenge of the Week and have loved chatting about gardening in our other threads, so I thought a new thread would be nice. 

It’s always so interesting to me to see plants and gardens from different regions and countries, so I hope you’ll join the conversation!  

PS: if you create a makeup look based on some plant or garden inspiration, please feel free to post your look or flat-lay here, too! 

Here are a few pics of my spring bulbs to start and I’ll share more soon (kindly ignore the weeds)! 

IMG_4017.jpeg

IMG_4387.jpeg

My old balcony (from the outside) - I’ll try to find an internal pic too:

IMG_3831.jpeg

Re: The BIC Plant and Gardening Thread

@JoSometimes You have such a wonderful, thriving garden. The strawberries look delicious🍓! I absolutely love your tire planters. That is such a creative use of a tire. The purple is so pretty 💜.

Thanks @Mellmars1185! I’ve seen tire planters a lot online. I had a few other ideas of things I could do with them but turning them planters was the easiest. And the paint was leftover from other projects. I didn’t want it to go to waste. 

@JoSometimes - Your strawberries look so good! 🍓🍓🍓  The tire planters are so pretty! 🥰🌷💜

Thank you @Titian06! I’m looking forward to trying them soon, even if I only get a handful. 

Garden Update! My Scarlet O’Hara peony. The blooms start off deep red, then get pinker as they fade. I’m in love with her! 
E1D59E1D-B4F1-442F-81E1-D3F5CA8F1373.jpeg0DDCF498-2ECB-44DD-A70E-9A06AEC861CD.jpeg
DFFA9AFC-AAAA-4ED0-9636-F603A667617D.jpeg

My Blizzard mock orange. Still quite scraggly, especially compared to her cousin, Snow White (below), but has cute single blooms that are fragrant. (I haven’t planted it yet because my husband may have been right about them needing to regrade the yard.)

7EB5ADFE-997E-4045-9AB2-EBA8063EE160.jpeg

The Snow White mock orange and the Siberian Iris I brought from my moms behind it. I’ll probably move the Iris in the fall, but the white and purple are striking! I’ll probably get some more of these Iris from my mom’s in the fall. 
CA5F31D3-D466-4D52-BB35-EACFDCD669F3.jpegC4993160-E78D-4BE8-ADDA-5D5E9304B3F2.jpeg9AB634A8-3CD5-4627-ADC5-DC2C33D45FC0.jpeg

This hydrangea I planted last fall is only about 8-10 inches tall and doesn’t really seem like it’s getting taller, but has some flower buds forming.

AC20F3FA-2AA3-420A-A80D-F7237B0523F7.jpeg

Well this just made my day, @sister13 - so much cheer and what a vibrant garden you have!! Thank you for sharing.

Aww, thank you @eshoe ! @JoSometimes It is still 98% mud and weeds (I’m leaving the weeds to help keep the erosion at bay where possible) but I do think eventually it will be lovely! 

@sister13 Smart idea to leave the weeds in place until you’re ready! I’m sure it’ll look amazing once it’s all done!

These are so bright and vivid @sister13! You have quite the green thumb!

Thanks, we have been getting a LOT of rain! I should show you the weed collection (essentially th whole backyard) and you’d be really impressed with how well I can grow them! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 @JoSometimes 

I’m so jealous @sister13. They’re absolutely stunning 👏

Awww, thank you - we’ll see if I can keep everything alive! @blackkitty2014 

@sister13 Beautiful flowers on a beautiful morning. Watching them bloom and grow is so rewarding. I like the colours of all of the flowers.

Thank you! It is fun! It’s also fun to watch as things change, like the allium blooms turning into green balls, and the spent peony blooms turn into these alien looking three-pointed things! @Mellmars1185 

@sister13 - The Siberian iris is gorgeous so is your Scarlet O'Hara peony. 🥰  The blizzard mock orange may be "scraggly" because it's still in the pot and needs to be transplanted (bigger, better pot or the ground).  Love your pics!

Yes, I’m thinking I may transplant into some larger pots, but was hoping I’d be able to get in the ground, but may take a little more time. @Titian06 

My bougainvillea finally came back around late April and how it was last week. This week it grows even bigger and mostly with bloom

IMG_9634.jpeg

Wow, this is amazing @blackkitty2014 !!!

Thx you @jaaayp 🌹

Wow @blackkitty2014 - so healthy and vivid! This made me smile, I love this!!

Thx you @eshoe 🌹

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos277
  • IMG_4017.jpeg
  • IMG_4387.jpeg
  • IMG_3831.jpeg
  • IMG_3145.jpeg
  • IMG_3959.jpeg
  • IMG_3997.jpeg
  • IMG_3998.jpeg